Mahr - What Determines Worth?

414 posts in this topic

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I think it's time for me to let my hubby know that I accept Visa, MasterCard, American express, and diners club :devil:

No, I really AM curious about it.

However, if people have fun in this thread too, even better! :P

To my understanding you can't just expect a guy with not a lot of money to give you $10,000 in gold or a Fully furnished apartment. The man gives within his means. An Imam at my masjid told me a story of a man who didn't have anything. His gift to his wife was teaching her Qur'an.

12531741_bodyshot_300x400.gif6783001_bodyshot_300x400.gif

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

th_l_c84498a71b1eeba4d00cd9963dd0a85a.gif

kb7wan37jt.png

Filed: Timeline

Okay, the "minimum" is 10 Dirhams of silver, which is 1.08001 ounces. At the current silver price of $9.45/oz, that means the minimum mahr is $10.21. That really doesn't sound like much.

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I think it's time for me to let my hubby know that I accept Visa, MasterCard, American express, and diners club :devil:

No, I really AM curious about it.

However, if people have fun in this thread too, even better! :P

To my understanding you can't just expect a guy with not a lot of money to give you $10,000 in gold or a Fully furnished apartment. The man gives within his means. An Imam at my masjid told me a story of a man who didn't have anything. His gift to his wife was teaching her Qur'an.

I heard this too!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I asked my hubby yesterday where is my dowry. he said we didn't get married islamically!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Since I had to have one according to Adams culture, I asked for One Egyptian Pound for my dowry. I got it and I treasure it. He wrote on it "I love you Tamy my wife" then wrote 7/22/2006. Its with my marriage certificate where it is recorded. Its not about money for me, its about the little things in life that matter. I know people who were promised large Mahrs and never given them before or after marriage. But every situation is different.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline
I asked my hubby yesterday where is my dowry. he said we didn't get married islamically!

:blink:

:reading::pop:

Where's virtual wife????

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

:blink:

:reading::pop:

Where's virtual wife????

Me too! :pop: I'm just waiting for it now.

12531741_bodyshot_300x400.gif6783001_bodyshot_300x400.gif

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

th_l_c84498a71b1eeba4d00cd9963dd0a85a.gif

kb7wan37jt.png

Timeline

Ok, so let me ask this question. A couple marries one is Muslim one is not. They have a civil wedding like in a Justice of Peace but no Islamic Marriage. The Non Muslim converts but they never had an Islamic marriage, is it required? Or is it ok since the marriage was taken place already awhile before that?

Timeline

Tasha, I would assume that since you were already 'legally' married, that you are not allowed to get married again no matter what way it was. You can have an islamic ceremony but not get married again.

Like when Adam got here, we wanted a christian vow ceremony in the church my grandparents married in, but I had to inforce the understanding it is not a marriage that was taken place since we already married in Egypt.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline
Ok, so let me ask this question. A couple marries one is Muslim one is not. They have a civil wedding like in a Justice of Peace but no Islamic Marriage. The Non Muslim converts but they never had an Islamic marriage, is it required? Or is it ok since the marriage was taken place already awhile before that?

I think we need an "ask the imam" section in here! :lol: I have no idea but I'm sure someone will come on board with some suggestions! Personally I think you're ok because the most important part is that you have your rights in tack when, God forbid, things go sour. Maybe the only thing missing is the mahr part?

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

I think we need an "ask the imam" section in here! :lol: I have no idea but I'm sure someone will come on board with some suggestions! Personally I think you're ok because the most important part is that you have your rights in tack when, God forbid, things go sour. Maybe the only thing missing is the mahr part?

At the time in Egypt we couldn't do an Islamic marriage or a legal marriage so we waited it out until he came here. He tried to offer me one but God bless him I said nooooooooo! The guy was even trying to buy a condo in Alex so I would have a home there when we vacationed. I knew he would take care of me if he could so I have my wedding ring and son and his love and faithfulness and that is enough for me as my mahr.

Timeline

There isn't really anyone here who's qualified (ie we know who they are in real life, we know their qualifications) to answer a question such as that. For basic information purposes, there are 4 minimum requirements for an islamic marriage:

1. There is an uncoerced offer and acceptance

2. That there be 2 reliable muslims as witnesses (ie they can't be shady crooks and liars)

3. That the bride have a wali, a guardian (although in the hanafi school, a mature woman does not need a wali)

4. The marriage is publicized.

In some of the articles I posted earlier, it discusses what happens if a mahr isn't agreed to up front. It is still the right of the wife, and the husband should give her what is considered the usual for his and/or her culture.

If any of these 4 elements are missing, then contact a person of knowledge in your area. They'll know you, and your situation better first hand and can recommend a proper course of action.

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Platy - you're starting schtic I can smell it.

Mahr is no different and the value is no different from what one of your buddies would do when he is shopping for an engagement ring. He gets the best and biggest one he can pay for and we both know there are "unspoken rules" for picking those out lol. Mahr is just presented to the wife (in our case at the marriage ceremony) as a gift and is all pre-written/recorded in the marriage contract. Sometimes it is agreed to pay Mahr at some future date, which is no different from buying said ring with your credit card.

If what you read was true that is a very shallow interpretation of the original intent

i don't get it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I received gold and a beautiful flat for mine. We married in a cermony here and then at the mosque . Mohamed said he wanted to marry islamically.

I have 2 wedding anniversaries !!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.