Naijabound

Fiance Visa

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello all. I am fairly new to the visa journey website. I have tried several times before to post and the site kept giving me a error message. Glad it's working for me now :thumbs: Okay, my fiance is from Lagos Nigeria. We were going to plan to try to get married in March but I want him here the fastest way possible (as everyone else I feel as if Im dying each day that passes without him). So I turned to researching the fiance visa. This seems to be the fastest way to get him here with me but Im leary because of the stories I have read about how mean the interviewers can be at the US Embassy in Lagos. It almost seems as if they are having a bad day then "oh well that doesnt end well for you". lol. But seriously, I have been going back and forth on this and would like some others input. Im afraid if he doesnt get approved, then I will have to go back over there get married then file for the marriage visa. Another loooooooong process. Are the approval rate's for the fiance visa pretty high for the area despite the horrible stories? Anyone else had this issue and decided to go with the fiance visa and was approved? I just came from visiting him the second week in September so I have meet the requirement of seeing in within the 2 years.

K1 Journey:

Filed: 2009-01-12... USCIS Approved: 2009-06-05... 1st Interview/Admin Review: 2009-09-09...2nd Interview/Approved: 2010-01-27

AOS Journey:

Filed: 2010-05-20... Interview: 2010-11-30... Approved: 2010-12-03... Card Rcvd: 2010-12-18...

Whew! Done!.... Well, for the next two years anyway...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Welcome to VJ :)

The fiance visa is generally faster than the K3 or CR1. Do not make any wedding plans because you never know how long it will take to get the actual visa. VJ does a good job of giving you estimates, but each case is so different that other factors may actually take longer.

The stories about denials can happen no matter what visa you file for. It is up to you to prove to the CO that you have a bonafide relationship and if the CO is not convinced, then you may get denied or be told to come back with more evidence. The act of marriage alone does not guarantee a worry free visa process.

As for rates of approvals, I have yet to see something official on that. I wouldn't worry about that. Just focus on your case and make it as air tight as possible.

Good luck :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

Thank you for your response. That makes alot of sense. If we got married we could be denied or have problems as well. I think I am going to push to file for the fiance visa. Im going to get everything together and have my fiance send me the forms he needs to sign and hopefully file by december. I just hate the fact that is seems your destiny is in the hands of someone who this is "just" their job and nothing else. I know its a long shot but I was praying that since Obama got in office that maybe something can change. Maybe, just maybe, he will show favor to Africa being he has close ties. :whistle: And maybe, just maybe, those people in the embassy's over there would kind of get a little whisper in their ears to not give anymore people a hard time. :devil:

K1 Journey:

Filed: 2009-01-12... USCIS Approved: 2009-06-05... 1st Interview/Admin Review: 2009-09-09...2nd Interview/Approved: 2010-01-27

AOS Journey:

Filed: 2010-05-20... Interview: 2010-11-30... Approved: 2010-12-03... Card Rcvd: 2010-12-18...

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

The fiance visa is generally faster than the K3 or CR1. Do not make any wedding plans because you never know how long it will take to get the actual visa. VJ does a good job of giving you estimates, but each case is so different that other factors may actually take longer.

The stories about denials can happen no matter what visa you file for. It is up to you to prove to the CO that you have a bonafide relationship and if the CO is not convinced, then you may get denied or be told to come back with more evidence. The act of marriage alone does not guarantee a worry free visa process.

As for rates of approvals, I have yet to see something official on that. I wouldn't worry about that. Just focus on your case and make it as air tight as possible.

I agree with Zee and you can also check Zee's tracking chart thread to see the ratio of approvals, denials, AP etc.from our forum.

Approvals far outweigh the denials but AP happens a lot. I would say a 9-18 mos window is average from start to finish for a K1.

Edited by Omoba

Timeline

I agree with Zee and you can also check Zee's tracking chart thread to see the ratio of approvals, denials, AP etc.from our forum.

Approvals far outweigh the denials but AP happens a lot. I would say a 9-18 mos window is average from start to finish for a K1.

9 to 18 months? That seems like quite a long time. Isnt that the same amount of time for the K3 marriage visa? I was hoping it to be a little faster. The 9 months doesnt seem bad but 18 months to get him here? omg...

K1 Journey:

AOS Journey:

Timeline

A K1 is usually approved in about 6-7 months by the USCIS.

Then you have a couple months go by waiting for an interview appointment in the DOS phase. That time can change from a few weeks to a few month and is embassy specific.

Then if all is in order he can enter the US.

However it is my observation that often the CO's ask for additional evidence or the same evidence updated, or they want to do a home investigation, or security checks take a long time .......etc....fact is AP ( Administrative processing) and or review happens a lot in African countries .....therefore it is best to prepare yourself for the long haul. You can not compare it with European time lines.

Don't plan any wedding here until he actually is on US soil. Have a tentative date in mind but do not pay deposits on anything, such as a hall or send invites out.

Best wishes for your journey, relax and hope for the best.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guinea
Timeline

I remember when I filed back in January a person at USCIS told me it could take me a year to get him here. I was absolutely devastated. Here we are, in the middle of November, and he's still not here. It's been hard but I know it will be so worth it.

In spite of that, I also think a K1 is faster because you do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number. Our petition was approved in six weeks from the date I sent it in and if he had not gotten stuck in security clearance then he would have had his visa inside of 4 months.

Good luck.

Timeline
I remember when I filed back in January a person at USCIS told me it could take me a year to get him here. I was absolutely devastated. Here we are, in the middle of November, and he's still not here. It's been hard but I know it will be so worth it.

In spite of that, I also think a K1 is faster because you do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number. Our petition was approved in six weeks from the date I sent it in and if he had not gotten stuck in security clearance then he would have had his visa inside of 4 months.

Good luck.

Good grief, that was with lightening speed and the fastest USCIS approval I have ever heard of in the 2 years on this board.

Did they have dynamite under their butts at that time ?

Timeline
Good grief, that was with lightening speed and the fastest USCIS approval I have ever heard of in the 2 years on this board.

Did they have dynamite under their butts at that time ?

LOL! Dynamite.... :rofl:

Who knows.... but oh look at what good it did us. 11 months later we still don't have his visa! If only the DOS had dynamite under their butts and got our $#$%^&*^%&*%$^%$^&(*&(*)()(_)(*&^%$#@!@ security clearance done! :angry:

Timeline
Was he ever out of the country or does he have very common name WonTanNara ?

joining you in the %^&*$#$#@)&*(&^% !!! frustration <_<

He was never out of Guinea before he left to go to Senegal for the medical and interview. He has a very common name. Actually, right after the interview we were not told why our case needed AP. The officer never asked to see all of the evidence I had of our relationship, so the next day we went back to the embassy to talk to somebody. I had to (politely) argue with the Senegalese woman at the window, insisting that I be allowed to speak to an American. She took my passport, disappeared for a few minutes, returned and asked me to come back at 2pm. I did and spoke with Loveland. He said, "I can't give you too much information about our processes, but I can tell you that your fiance's name is very common." Since I've been home I've had inquiries done through both of VT's senators and verified that everything is in order and approved, we're just waiting for the security clearance. He will not even need a second interview. My sweet drummer-man has absolutely no criminal record on file anywhere, so Insh-Allah, soon.

Timeline
Was he ever out of the country or does he have very common name WonTanNara ?

joining you in the %^&*$#$#@)&*(&^% !!! frustration <_<

He was never out of Guinea before he left to go to Senegal for the medical and interview. He has a very common name. Actually, right after the interview we were not told why our case needed AP. The officer never asked to see all of the evidence I had of our relationship, so the next day we went back to the embassy to talk to somebody. I had to (politely) argue with the Senegalese woman at the window, insisting that I be allowed to speak to an American. She took my passport, disappeared for a few minutes, returned and asked me to come back at 2pm. I did and spoke with Loveland. He said, "I can't give you too much information about our processes, but I can tell you that your fiance's name is very common." Since I've been home I've had inquiries done through both of VT's senators and verified that everything is in order and approved, we're just waiting for the security clearance. He will not even need a second interview. My sweet drummer-man has absolutely no criminal record on file anywhere, so Insh-Allah, soon.

Ah yeah Loveland, we spoke with him too.

I would trade with you on the security checks if you want my waiver :devil: It's his common name that's holding him up.

If the approval is pending the checks and you weren't told you will have a 2. in depth appointment then you got it made in the shade. B)

Edited by Omoba

Timeline
Ah yeah Loveland, we spoke with him too.

I would trade with you on the security checks if you want my waiver :devil: It's his common name that's holding him up.

If the approval is pending the checks and you weren't told you will have a 2. in depth appointment then you got it made in the shade. B)

Yup, the embassy has specifically told me that he just needs to drop off his passport and then take his envelope. One half of me says the hard part is over, and the other half of me says the waiting is the hard part...

Good luck with your waiver Omoba!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.