Me 2

returning home while still on k-1 visa

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My fiancee needs to return home (Russia) because her father has fallen ill and she needs to assist her mother. Mother is not in very good health and unable to do all. Fiancee has been here (usa) with me for a month on K-1 visa which will expire in Jan. What do we do for her to be able to leave and return at a later date (unknown)?

bp

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My fiancee needs to return home (Russia) because her father has fallen ill and she needs to assist her mother. Mother is not in very good health and unable to do all. Fiancee has been here (usa) with me for a month on K-1 visa which will expire in Jan. What do we do for her to be able to leave and return at a later date (unknown)?

bp

Her visa expired upon usage (one time entry) her authorized stay expires in January (I-94)

The unknown will be an important criteria...

Marry.. file AOS (I-485) immediately (including advance parole I-131)... after receipt of I-485 make an infopass appointment at your local office and request emergency advance parole... If given, she can travel and return (I would not reccomend a stay out of more than 6 mos.)

Otherwise she leaves and you begin again... either for a second K-1 (assumes no marriage) or a spousal visa (assuming a marriage)..

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

bp

Her visa expired upon usage (one time entry) her authorized stay expires in January (I-94)

Marry.. file AOS (I-485) immediately (including advance parole I-131)... after receipt of I-485 make an infopass appointment at your local office and request emergency advance parole... If given, she can travel and return (I would not reccomend a stay out of more than 6 mos.)

Otherwise she leaves and you begin again... either for a second K-1 (assumes no marriage) or a spousal visa (assuming a marriage)..

This is possible if her father is extremely ill. You will need a note from the doctor or something proving the illness is severe.

I think this is the best route for you to try, though. Once you have the NOAs, you can go to the local office and hope they will give you emergency AP.

I got mine on the spot. I took a letter from the doctor and proof of relationship (in my case it was my brother). I did have to go out of the USCIS building and get photos in order to get the AP produced. So I would recommend investing in a set of photos before you go to the infopass, so you are prepared should they decide to approve the AP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Without Advance Parole, she can go to Russia but won't be able to come back to the US.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

From what i have found about these forms, as suggested, i-485 & i-131 we have no time for these. Marina will be leaving Sunday 16th for Russia. I have her booked for a return flight in Feb. (hopefully). What can i do NOW that will help with her return as far as any future documents are concerned, if anything. Something that i can give her to take back to the Embassy in Moscow that may help us. Photos of us together here in my town? Forms i can download and should sign. Anything to avoid cost of sending packages to her later in the mail and that can help with the return visa? When she arrived here she brought the packet that she took to the Embassy for her intial interview. She will take this back,.. but what else would be good to have aside from the 2 forms mentioned above? Will it be possible for her to make the return flight that is booked in Feb.?

bp

Timeline
From what i have found about these forms, as suggested, i-485 & i-131 we have no time for these. Marina will be leaving Sunday 16th for Russia. I have her booked for a return flight in Feb. (hopefully). What can i do NOW that will help with her return as far as any future documents are concerned, if anything. Something that i can give her to take back to the Embassy in Moscow that may help us. Photos of us together here in my town? Forms i can download and should sign. Anything to avoid cost of sending packages to her later in the mail and that can help with the return visa? When she arrived here she brought the packet that she took to the Embassy for her intial interview. She will take this back,.. but what else would be good to have aside from the 2 forms mentioned above? Will it be possible for her to make the return flight that is booked in Feb.?

bp

The only other possibility would have been to get the Embassy to re-validate the K-1 for a second entry... However this secong entry, if approved, would have to occur before the original 90 day clock expired that began upon her first entry... Based on you facts and inability to secure AP before she departs... you are SOL.... without AP before she leaves, there is no chance of her coming back anytime soon....and will need to start the nearly one year prcess over ......

If you want, you need to talking to Moscow for help... but do not get your hopes up.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

bp

Yes. That's it exactly.

I've seen a few people do this before and it's been a real nightmare to fix after the fact. Please prepare before to avoid a lot of problems later.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

How are you expected to be back at your home (A.S.A.P.) because of an emergency when you have to fill out documents, mail documents and wait for a decision and the documents to return to you? The emergency would no longer be an emergency by this time! This is ridiculous and impossible. People do have unexpected reasons to return home. We've already jumped thru all the hoops to get where we are today, Approved, so why is it required to do again because of a family emergency that surfaced Nov. 1st. Surely there is a more reasonable way. Why can i not just fill out the forms, do all that is necessary on my end and mail them to her to take to her Embassy for approval so she can return in Feb.? Why make such a simple & understandable thing so difficult during an unpleasant time?

Timeline
How are you expected to be back at your home (A.S.A.P.) because of an emergency when you have to fill out documents, mail documents and wait for a decision and the documents to return to you? The emergency would no longer be an emergency by this time! This is ridiculous and impossible. People do have unexpected reasons to return home. We've already jumped thru all the hoops to get where we are today, Approved, so why is it required to do again because of a family emergency that surfaced Nov. 1st. Surely there is a more reasonable way. Why can i not just fill out the forms, do all that is necessary on my end and mail them to her to take to her Embassy for approval so she can return in Feb.? Why make such a simple & understandable thing so difficult during an unpleasant time?

I think you are missing the process for emergency AP... Yes, the marriage MUST have occured and the AOS documents (including the interim benefits) NEED to be filed and receipted, but you can get an expedited decision on the I-131. I instead of the 90 days, it could be 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately you are not positioned for that.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.