akdiver

Global Warming

39 posts in this topic

Timeline
Do you believe that taxing oil companies will cause consumers to use less oil? If so, why?

Rising gas prices made public transportation soar. That's one added benefit.

Then, combined with solar and wind power generation, this takes care of most of the country's energy needs, so transportation can switch over to full BEV's. Less oil is used, less demand to drill offshore and in ANWR, less Bush ###-kissing of Saudis, less of OPEC controlling this country, less of the oil industry controlling this country. Lots of problems solved.

It isn't as simple as tax more, there has to be replacements being made at the time this happens.

Edited by SRVT

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where and how I live:

A/C: I have never liked it. Bleh!

My poor sweetie "suffered" this Summer in hot, humid, stinky Chicago and my asking he not use the thing.

TV: I have lived without out one for about 2 decades. We are now doing that together.

Lightbulbs: use them less. Turn them off when not in the room.

Use the wattage you need. I am not crazy about those new type. They may last longer, but are far more poisonous to Mother Earth.

Plastic: grrrrr I hate this shite. I try to avoid it as much as humanly possible. Almost never buy water and filter it at home and fill a glass bottle to take with me when need be.

Yes, I have canvas grocery bags...have had them for years.

Coffee cups: I carry my travel mug with me always.

Recycle: I need to leave the city that does not recycle. Chicago sucks for that. I did not know how spoiled I was in Vancouver. That city is sooooo "green".

I avoid things with lots of packaging. Especially fruit and veggies in packaging...what is up with that?!!

Showers: I have shared my habits with my sweetie and so now we both turn the water on, get wet, turn it off, lather, turn it on, rinse....etc.

Water does not run for long.

Baths: almost never. Too much wasted water and energy.

Heat: turn it down. Put on wool sweater and socks.

Power: everything not in use gets unplugged. No unnecessary voltage draw for nothing. Toaster, power adapters, power bars, etc.

Fuel: we both use public transit and walk 95% of the time.

Hmmmm...what else...

I am pleased with my conscious lifestyle. :D

Always looking to improve.

Are you?

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline
A/C: I have never liked it. Bleh!

TV: I have lived without out one for about 2 decades. We are now doing that together.

Lightbulbs: use them less. Turn them off when not in the room.

Use the wattage you need. I am not crazy about those new type. They may last longer, but are far more poisonous to Mother Earth.

Plastic: grrrrr I hate this shite. I try to avoid it as much as humanly possible. Almost never buy water and filter it at home and fill a glass bottle to take with me when need be.

Yes, I have canvas grocery bags...have had them for years.

Coffee cups: I carry my travel mug with me always.

In regards to AC, the inner parts of SF are very cool, so no need for AC from San Mateo and north to a little bit past the Golden Gate. This also goes for Half Moon Bay, which is known to be extremely chilly, even during the summer. But most of the state, especially the valley, makes it well past the 100s, in some cases with humidity going under 15%. I've noticed for both women and computers, they tend not to function correctly in this type of heat.

For TV, I just bought a new 40" Samsung HDTV, but I refuse to get satellite or cable. I use it for movies, for going DVI/AGP out from computer to TV to watch movies, or watch NHL Gamecenter Live online by extending the desktop to a second monitor via Windows, i.e. the TV. Cable and satellite is a huge waste of time, and thankfully we both agree on this much. We both like video games, and I just bought a PS3, with Grand Theft Auto 4 and NHL 2K9, and we plan on buying some Blu-Ray movies soon to watch in HD. We also watch Bill Maher and Penn & Teller: Bullshit! through the computer=>TV. I didn't watch TV at all between NHL seasons. Not once. That was June thru September. To me TV is only mild entertainment.

Lightbulbs: We're fine with the energy-saving ones. We can see and read things and that's the idea. Another plus is to consume less so other people can have energy as well, and save from power outages.

Plastic: Don't use it either. My family has a penchant for storing/collecting everything plastic, from butter containers, to glass mayo jars, to TV dinner plastic plates. No way in hell could I do this.

Coffee cups: I don't drink coffee at all.

Recycle: I need to leave the city that does not recycle. Chicago sucks for that. I did not know how spoiled I was in Vancouver. That city is sooooo "green".

I avoid things with lots of packaging. Especially fruit and veggies in packaging...what is up with that?!!

Showers: I have shared my habits with my sweetie and so now we both turn the water on, get wet, turn it off, lather, turn it on, rinse....etc.

Water does not run for long.

Baths: almost never. Too much wasted water and energy.

Heat: turn it down. Put on wool sweater and socks.

Power: everything not in use gets unplugged. No unnecessary voltage draw for nothing. Toaster, power adapters, power bars, etc.

Fuel: we both use public transit and walk 95% of the time.

Recycling: Indeed. Another quip of mine with my family was with the TV dinner sh!t. Microwaved vegetables? Yuck. I recycle when I can, or I leave a recycle bag or bin somewhere where people who do recycling can take it and make a profit. It's not uncommon to see dumpster divers because the CA redemption for recyclables is high. Not to mention the CRV tax rate on plastics, bottles, etc. is pretty high, to promote recycling.

Showers: I find them relaxing. I shower every night before I go to bed, wash up in the morning, but showering helps me relax.

Baths: They help her relax. Asking her to go without her baths is like asking a car enthusiast to ride a bike.

Heat: Never turn it on. It doesn't get cold enough here to where a blanket or sweatpants don't do the trick.

Power: I tend to leave computers running but on energy saver mode. It's because I usually download things, or, for work, leave an open line of communication via IM.

Fuel: I've never had a problem using public transportation to get to work. The one thing I dealt with from family was constant cars breaking down because they used their car so damn much. I prefer to use my car for leisure, not work. So I'll use public transportation when I can for work, but for leisure I prefer to drive, as plenty of places I do are either outside the scope of public transportation, or simply would cost way too much, or take way too much time which defeats the purpose of going altogether.

I am pleased with my conscious lifestyle. :D

Always looking to improve.

Are you?

100% pleased.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

News flash: having just ONE child will more than "undo" all your attempts to conserve resources and reduce your "carbon footprint."

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Do you believe that taxing oil companies will cause consumers to use less oil? If so, why?

wait, wait, wait. Are you suggesting that taxing oil companies will actually result in higher prices for consumers?

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

wait, wait, wait. Are you suggesting that taxing oil companies will actually result in higher prices for consumers?

but that's ok, it gets everyone to rely on public transportation. :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yeah, you know people in LA are real anxious to do that after our recent collision between a commuter train and a freight train.

But the real issue I have here is that SVRT thinks raising taxes on oil companies will result in higher prices at the pump when it has been established conclusively that that cannot happen.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Thanks for your indepth personal response SRVT.

:star: :star: :star:

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Back to the logic of the OP... it was 74 degrees yesterday in Cincinnati. Therefore, Global Warming exists.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline
Back to the logic of the OP... it was 74 degrees yesterday in Cincinnati. Therefore, Global Warming exists.
....or at least Ohio warming anyway.

But how do you know it's not due to all the hot air politicians have been blowing around?

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline
....or at least Ohio warming anyway.

But how do you know it's not due to all the hot air politicians have been blowing around?

Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin... etc.

Politicians or not... its GW according to the OP logic.

Timeline
Reading comprehension problems at work....

Yeah, well, it is that today in Chi-town!!!

What the ???

It's November....and I'm going out to fry my face in the sun.

B)

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

..which is run by the government. And the government wants people to be dependent on it, rather than self sufficient. Why? to keep it in power and grow that power....

Timeline
Reading comprehension problems at work....

That's ok. Daily temperature is what it is.

Yeah, well, it is that today in Chi-town!!!

What the ???

It's November....and I'm going out to fry my face in the sun.

B)

That good? Got to eat lunch outside today.