Other

Primary Evidence -- Passport Question??

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I have another friend that got engaged the same time I did in Turkey. He is a Naturalized Citizen and he never renounced his citizenship in Turkey. Therefore he still has a Turkish Passport which he used to enter and exit Turkey. There are no stamps in his American Passport to show that he visited Turkey.

Is this going to be a problem? He won't have this evidence to backup his claim that he was in Turkey in the past 2 years. Has anyone been approved without this evidence?

David

K-1 Visa Timeline

I-129F Sent : 01/06/2009

I-129F NOA1 : 01/09/2009

I-129F NOA2 : 03/11/2009

NVC Received : 03/19/2009

Consulate Received : 03/27/2009

Packet 3 Sent : 12/23/2009

Interview Date : 03/18/2010 - APPROVED!!!

Visa Received : 03/20/2010

US Entry : 04/07/2010

Marriage : 05/04/2010 - WOOHOO!!!

-----------

I-485 Sent : 07/02/2010

I-485 NOA1 : 07/09/2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nothing says the infoprmation MUSt be in a US passport, as long as he can provide sufficient evidence that it is in fact his passport (I assume there is some "markings" in his Turkish passport).... It is OK to provide explanation as to what the evidence is and why...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, he has to have something, boarding passes? pictures? e-mails? hotel receipts? Anything? If not, then his Turkish passport has to have some kind of marking showing that he entered Turkey within the past 2 years. Most American passports are not longer stamped as they are scanned and that's all they do, but his Turkish passport should have an entry and exit stamp.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Yes he does have other evidence however not all of it can be considered primary evidence or maybe not even strong enough that he won't get a RFE to require something more substantial. I don't think he kept the boarding passes (I didn't) and I'm not sure if he still has his itinerary. Since he is from Turkey we stayed at his family's house, so no hotel receipts. The only other thing that he could show, other than pictures which are secondary evidence, is his bank statements with all the credit card charges that he made.

My specific question was about not having the American Passport with Visa and Entrance and Exit stamps. Has there been people who were approved without the American Passport as evidence? Has anyone used a different country passport as evidence? I'm only asking because if this is going to be a problem it would be easier for him to fly back to Turkey before filing. His fiancee would love him if he did. :thumbs:

BTW. When you are trying to prove American Citizenship I don't think it is wise to send a document that proves you are a Citizen somewhere else. However we might just file his paperwork and if he gets an RFE then submit the Turkish Passport then as evidence.

David

K-1 Visa Timeline

-----------

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
BTW. When you are trying to prove American Citizenship I don't think it is wise to send a document that proves you are a Citizen somewhere else. However we might just file his paperwork and if he gets an RFE then submit the Turkish Passport then as evidence.

David

Simply BS.... Many people have DUAL citizenship.... You are overthinking this...........

Besides you are not using the Turkish passport to prove citizenship... you are using it to demonstrate meeting face to face... He would provide the naturalization certificate or US passport for citizenship....

YMMV

Timeline
Simply BS.... Many people have DUAL citizenship.... You are overthinking this...........

Actually I was looking for someone to say no you can't use it, so I can tell him that I wouldn't be able to help him until he went back to Turkey for another trip. :whistle:

Thanks... I know the US doesn't require renouncing your old citizenship, but during the oath you state that you will. I guess the USCIS doesn't care if you did or not.

David

K-1 Visa Timeline

-----------

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I agree with Pay.

What 'he' needs to show is proof that he travelled and/or been with his fiance in person in the last 2 years...not that he's denounced his Country of Birth... so, it seems the passport stamps in his Turkish passport would serve as the best example of that. With dual citizenship he should be using that passport to enter and leave anyway.

As far as secondary evidence goes, you can sometimes request a copy of the itinerary even years later from the travel agent, online booking system, airline...etc used. Letters from family he stayed with may also help.

good luck

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.