Butterfly

Moving from Montreal to NYC

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Ok guys. My husband and I had to move to Montreal/Canada because our visa process was very long and we could not be separated anylonger. We moved here in the summer and are moving to NYC in March.

My question is, will we have any problems at the border moving our stuff like furniture, etc? Obviously we paid taxes here when we purchased the items.. but will we be charged again when we enter the US? I would not think so, but wanted to double check with you.

I am going to call the canadian/american border tomorrow and see what they say, but also wanted to hear your personal experience.

Thanks a million! (F)

01-02-2000 met at SFO airport

11-15-2003 Religious ceremony in the U.S

03-09-2004 Civil Marriage in Frankfurt/Germany

07-20-2004 Wedding reception

K-3

04-22-2004 I-129F NOA1 (MSC)

11-01-2004 'touched'

11-02-2004 'touched'

11-17-2004 NOA2 via email

01-26-05 Interview date. (Filed I-601 waiver)

I-130

04-06-2004 I-130 NOA1 (CSC)

08-16-2004 Approved by CSC via email website

03-16-05 Case completed and is in FRA now

I-601 waiver process (due to previous overstay)

01-26-05 Filed I-601 waiver

04-22-05 Waiver denied

05-06-05 Filed for MTR(Motion to Reconsider)

06-20-05 Found out from our Congresswoman that our motion to reconsider is denied.. our waiver is now enroute to AAO in Washington, DC.. the appeal takes 6-18 months to review.. yeah right... whatever

My husband and I are together now. We moved to Montreal on july 20th, 2005 and are waiting for my ban to be lifted on March 13th, 2006.

03-13-06 Interview date, Approved!

03-23-06 Visa in hand! Yaay!

03-24-06 Arrived in NYC!

Baby girl arrived on 11/30/06

Baby boy arrived on 9/30/08

We could not be happier..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I rented a Uhaul and brought all my stuff to the USA. Had it all inventoried and I never paid a cent in tax/duty!! The custom people in Maine barely even looked at my list and never looked inside the truck! Was very painless with immigration and Customs. But thats just my experience.

I sold my car prior to moving. But the car does have to meet certain safety regualtions. Vehicle importing guidelines: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import...anada07032.html One just has to phone the make/model, VIn # in to the appropriate car maker and they can fax/mail it to you (some charge a fee) Best of luck

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Butterfly, give Rainbow Bridge a call. They're located in Niagara Falls, NY. Their number is

716-282-3141 They are a Border Control. A friend of mine (who is a dual citizen - Canadian/US)gave me the number last year and I have called them on a number of ocassions and if they don't know the answer they will try their best to redirect you. My fiance (US) has also called them and always got great service (they're the ones who told us all about I-129F and K1 & K3.....it was like a foreign language until they helped us........we didn't know about this wonderful site at the time :no: ). It doesn't hurt to call. Good luck in your travels............{{{{HUGS}}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Hi Butterfly, give Rainbow Bridge a call. They're located in Niagara Falls, NY. Their number is

716-282-3141 They are a Border Control. A friend of mine (who is a dual citizen - Canadian/US)gave me the number last year and I have called them on a number of ocassions and if they don't know the answer they will try their best to redirect you. My fiance (US) has also called them and always got great service (they're the ones who told us all about I-129F and K1 & K3.....it was like a foreign language until they helped us........we didn't know about this wonderful site at the time :no: ). It doesn't hurt to call. Good luck in your travels............{{{{HUGS}}}}

I have to agree, my experience at the bridge was very nice. (i'm not a canuck, but driving back/forth to buffalo)

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Timeline

Thank you for your responses and special thanks to MarieAnastasia for providing the phone #. I called them up and received all answers.. Thanks again!

K-3

11-01-2004 'touched'

11-02-2004 'touched'

I-130

04-22-05 Waiver denied

06-20-05 Found out from our Congresswoman that our motion to reconsider is denied.. our waiver is now enroute to AAO in Washington, DC.. the appeal takes 6-18 months to review.. yeah right... whatever

My husband and I are together now. We moved to Montreal on july 20th, 2005 and are waiting for my ban to be lifted on March 13th, 2006.

03-24-06 Arrived in NYC!

You shouldnt have any problems with your furniture. I shipped mine from Europe and i didnt pay anything on it.

I believe that you dont pay tax on things that you have owned for a year and over..

Where are you gonna be in nyc?

I live between Chelsea and the Village, in Manhattan. Lots of cool places!

Welcome to nyc then!

Laurence and Charlie

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You're more than welcome, Butterfly. Just glad to be of help. Have a safe journey and God bless. Keep us posted....{{{{HUGS}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

When you fill out the paperwork, the two things you will have to worry about will be any antique furniture and anything that you have owned less than a year.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

Since we moved to Montreal in the summer, the furniture etc. are less than one year.. I wonder now if it will be a problem.. hmm I guess I have to call again and find out ..

Lolo-

we used to live in SF. My husband took a job in NYC in the summer so we are moving there.. We will be living in Midtown. We have a place there now since my husband needs to be there for work couple of days a week, but I think I would rather move out of the city.. we will see. I have been in NYC before but only for couple of days at the time and it is very crowded!

Do you like living in Manhattan?? We should meet up when I move out there. :D

K-3

11-01-2004 'touched'

11-02-2004 'touched'

I-130

04-22-05 Waiver denied

03-24-06 Arrived in NYC!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was honest on my inventory and listed some of the furniture was less than a yr old, the customs officer was not concerned!! But every POE is different

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Since we moved to Montreal in the summer, the furniture etc. are less than one year.. I wonder now if it will be a problem.. hmm I guess I have to call again and find out ..

Lolo-

we used to live in SF. My husband took a job in NYC in the summer so we are moving there.. We will be living in Midtown. We have a place there now since my husband needs to be there for work couple of days a week, but I think I would rather move out of the city.. we will see. I have been in NYC before but only for couple of days at the time and it is very crowded!

Do you like living in Manhattan?? We should meet up when I move out there. :D

Yes, i live in Manhattan, between the Village and Chelsea. Easy access to great restaurants and shops! Personally it was a shock for me at first! It is hard to meet new people. Having my family in France and friends in London, i find myself a bit isolated at times! you know.. can't get on the eurostar any more! Whereabout in midtown will you be?

Send me a PM when you get here and i'll be happy to meet for a drink!

Laurence and Charlie

Timeline

Lolo-

I sent you a PM.

K-3

11-01-2004 'touched'

11-02-2004 'touched'

I-130

04-22-05 Waiver denied

03-24-06 Arrived in NYC!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.