Krissy!

Finding "gigs" on Craigslist?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hello, am trying to figure out this whole EAD deal. Just read a thread saying that it's not worth the time and energy to route flights via JFK just to get the EAD stamp due to lapse between the expiration of the I-94 and the new EAD after AOS... ugh.

But I am wondering... if you see the "gigs" posted on Craigslist, it seems like "help needed" for general population -- not employers filling out paperwork to be paid... is the EAD still required?

I'm on the fence about meeting my fiance in NYC. Or having him just route a trip directly to me in California...

Your responses are appreciated.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

The "gigs" on craigslist are usually cash "under the table" kind of jobs. They don't care what your name is, they pay you a low wage, you do the work and the deal is done.

If its anything for a longer term, then they ask for a SS#.

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Getting paid under the table is still getting paid. Although they don't report it and ask for a social you are still working without authorization.

A risk most would not take after all the trouble of getting here .

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

if you want the 'what's right' answer, and not the 'what can I get away with' answer: without an EAD you're not supposed to be doing any paid work at all

I had heard that maybe even my volunteering wasn't ok, so I rang USCIS for confirmation, and they said that volunteering is fine, but paid work is not

couldn't be much clearer... unfortunately

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Kristin,

Its unfortunate but Odai may not be able to work for a while. It usually takes them a while to get settled in and get a job anyway....its a big adjustment. Esmat and I have talked in great lengths about his employment here and have decided to start our own business....if you did something like that you could put it in your name and have him do things for the business...like sell stuff....maybe online? I don't know he seems to do ok with computers...maybe he could do some ebay stuff (under your account) until he gets work authorization.

Congratulations again on your visa!!!!

Deb :star:

Hello, am trying to figure out this whole EAD deal. Just read a thread saying that it's not worth the time and energy to route flights via JFK just to get the EAD stamp due to lapse between the expiration of the I-94 and the new EAD after AOS... ugh.

But I am wondering... if you see the "gigs" posted on Craigslist, it seems like "help needed" for general population -- not employers filling out paperwork to be paid... is the EAD still required?

I'm on the fence about meeting my fiance in NYC. Or having him just route a trip directly to me in California...

Your responses are appreciated.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks for all the clarification.

I actually do have a "virtual personal assistant" job that I might be able to share with him. A business sounds good. I'm a freelance tutor, and I guess I could add "Arabic" to that (we already talked about that).

Turns out that he booked a flight going thru JFK anyways going to California, so I'm going to have him ask for the EAD just for a peace of mind.

Thanks again everyone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Getting paid under the table is still getting paid. Although they don't report it and ask for a social you are still working without authorization.

A risk most would not take after all the trouble of getting here .

:thumbs:

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.