9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

We applied for our K-1 (through a lawyer in the US) 8/3 but there was an issue with a couple of things so the rest of the paperwork they received around 9/18. My fiance is from Nepal and of course I'm from the US.

I will be taking a trip to see him in Nepal in mid December. Since I will be in Nepal we thought about getting married then but we dont want to start the process all over.

From what I have read on the internet K-3 takes at least a year to get approved. If we have to start all over again with the K-3 then of course we will wait.

We dont have any idea how long this K-1 process will take. I have read a lot of horror stories and a lot of great stories.

We paid the lawyer 1K to make sure the paper work is compete and error free. They have had the paper work 3 weeks and nothing has been done yet (there is a webiste http://www1.inszoom.com/ I can log on to and see where our paperwork is in the process). Am I just being impatient or what. We already send a lot of emails to the lawyer asking all kinds of questions.

There are a lot of people on here who have so much experience with this. If anyone has anything they can tell me to put my mind (and my fiance) at ease that would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

IF YOU MARRY YOU WILL NO LONGER BE FIANCEES K-1 is for Fiancee only, you will be starting over and be filing for a spousal visa.

What you can do when visiting is have a nice engagement party.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
We applied for our K-1 (through a lawyer in the US) 8/3 but there was an issue with a couple of things so the rest of the paperwork they received around 9/18. My fiance is from Nepal and of course I'm from the US.

I will be taking a trip to see him in Nepal in mid December. Since I will be in Nepal we thought about getting married then but we dont want to start the process all over.

From what I have read on the internet K-3 takes at least a year to get approved. If we have to start all over again with the K-3 then of course we will wait.

We dont have any idea how long this K-1 process will take. I have read a lot of horror stories and a lot of great stories.

We paid the lawyer 1K to make sure the paper work is compete and error free. They have had the paper work 3 weeks and nothing has been done yet (there is a webiste http://www1.inszoom.com/ I can log on to and see where our paperwork is in the process). Am I just being impatient or what. We already send a lot of emails to the lawyer asking all kinds of questions.

There are a lot of people on here who have so much experience with this. If anyone has anything they can tell me to put my mind (and my fiance) at ease that would be greatly appreciated.

Your lawyer of course should know how much time the USCIS generally takes. For starters, always allow at least one month before you receive a notice that your petition has arrived and is being processed. No doubt that notice will go to your lawyer, not to you, if your lawyer did the filing. When things are slow around USCIS, allow another 90 days to get action on the petition; and then another 90 days or so for the visa interview to take place. Marrying will just mean starting all over, legal fees and all. Enjoy Nepal!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

marriage for sure will stop the k1 :whistle: since u are already into it i would stay k1, it will happen soon :thumbs: dont hold alot of truth when lawyers are talking timelines, they have no control on this and have been known lately to mess up more than they fix

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Yes on the marriage part - your K1 will become invalid and you will have to restart this process all over again.

Have ur lawyer send your receipt of delivery for your application - then shoot them

God Speed and Good Luck

When something goes wrong remember this saying "WHEN MAN PLANS, GOD LAUGHS"

www.orlando4obama.com

I-130 JOURNEY BEGINSSent August 28, 2007 to TSC for receipting in CSCReceived NOA1 from VSC December 21, 2007

Notes - earned USCIS skymiles for sure - postmarked from Chicago Lockbox

online finally 2/24/08

touchy feely 2/25/08

touched 2/27/2008 - great RFE requested - just wonderful news to see in your inbox early in the am

3/13 - RFE letter FINALLY received - and document that we sent NOW resent back to VSC grrrrowling

3/19 case resumed processing

3/20 touched

3./21 touched

3/23 Easter bunny touched again

4/01 - APPROVED I-130

4/02 - touched

4/07 - received hard copy approval

NVC JOURNEY BEGINS

4/07 NV Case number assigned

4/08 AOS, DS and all fees paid online

6/09 tax transcript for 2007 just became available -whoot

6/20 NVC receives everything nothing more to give them now just close eyes and pray

6/23 NVC enters into system

6/26 NVC - RFE uggh - wants all three years of Federal tax return listed and they lost originals or so they say - DING DING ROUND TWO

7/25 NVC Case completed whooottttttttt

8/7 Case forward to US EMBASSY LONDON OH YEAHHHHHHHH -

Embassy - case out for delivery to embassy via DHL sneaky us lol

08/10Received

08/19 Medical Exam completed - healthy oh yeah!!!!!!!!

9/26 @8am -Interview - approved VISA IN HAND OMG WHOOT!!! HELLO AMERICA MY LUV

POE- Atlanta then MCO - October 15th with the cat "GIT" on board lol - POE SUPER SWEET

Husband home finally - god what a journey....but after 400+ days we made it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Namaste Malishka36,

As others have said, getting married will kill the K-1. Unless you fancy stretching out your separation, don't do it. In hindsight, I would avoid anything that even looks like a marriage (we did a "celebration" and I worried about it for 6 months and they asked my (now) husband about it at his Consular interview).

We did K-1 without a lawyer and had exceptional luck... see our timeline. In fact, it would've been even faster if we hadn't had a hang-up getting a police certificate from India that I'm still not sure we even needed, and trying to make our actual visa applications look nice using the forms provided by the Consulate. If you don't have any huge red flags and you do reasonably well with forms and paperwork (ie, thorough and organized), you absolutely can do it yourself. And this site is a great help with all the little (and big) questions that come up along the way...

Best wishes...

Maya

PS feel free to PM me if I can help

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

I can understand why malishka36 probably asked this.

I've been contacted by my attorney to tell me about canceling the K1 process by just trying to get married and then filing for an I-130 directly. The process ends up (theoretically) being a lot faster, with less hassles (and you'll get a green card directly, without having to wait months for approval at the embassy, temporary visa, work permits, interviews, visa, and then temporary green card).

Unfortunately, probably very few of us in this forum knew about that, but now it's too late to start all over!

I learned recently that the K1 Fiancee visa process is a long road that has many alternative legal shortcuts. But we all got caught in it, because the system is broken and nobody really cares about us.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hmmm the spousal visa is not faster than the K1 so i'm not sure where you got that.

Lawyers and others who are 'suppose to know' often mis-inform individuals as to the process of bringing their loved ones here. This is why we hear so many horror stories. Often they will tell a couple to simply come on vacation and marry here in the U.S. then apply for adjustment of status. What they fail to tell you is that this is illegal to do so. You can not enter the U.S. with the intent of marrying and then staying in the Country. If you misrepresent yourself at the border and intent to immigrate is proven at AOS, you will face a ban from the U.S.

The only thing faster than the K1 fiance visa right now is DCF and, as of last year and the enactment of the Adam Walsh Act, even that now has major stipulations before you are able to apply for that abroad, including living in said Country for at least 6 months.

I think that you will find the majority of folks here at VJ quite savvy and well versed when it comes to immigration laws and the process to get our loved ones here with us. It's the mis-information given by other authorities that gets people into trouble and slows them down.

timeline.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline
I can understand why malishka36 probably asked this.

I've been contacted by my attorney to tell me about canceling the K1 process by just trying to get married and then filing for an I-130 directly. The process ends up (theoretically) being a lot faster, with less hassles (and you'll get a green card directly, without having to wait months for approval at the embassy, temporary visa, work permits, interviews, visa, and then temporary green card).

Unfortunately, probably very few of us in this forum knew about that, but now it's too late to start all over!

I learned recently that the K1 Fiancee visa process is a long road that has many alternative legal shortcuts. But we all got caught in it, because the system is broken and nobody really cares about us.

Hmmm the spousal visa is not faster than the K1 so i'm not sure where you got that.

Lawyers and others who are 'suppose to know' often mis-inform individuals as to the process of bringing their loved ones here. This is why we hear so many horror stories. Often they will tell a couple to simply come on vacation and marry here in the U.S. then apply for adjustment of status. What they fail to tell you is that this is illegal to do so. You can not enter the U.S. with the intent of marrying and then staying in the Country. If you misrepresent yourself at the border and intent to immigrate is proven at AOS, you will face a ban from the U.S.

The only thing faster than the K1 fiance visa right now is DCF and, as of last year and the enactment of the Adam Walsh Act, even that now has major stipulations before you are able to apply for that abroad, including living in said Country for at least 6 months.

I think that you will find the majority of folks here at VJ quite savvy and well versed when it comes to immigration laws and the process to get our loved ones here with us. It's the mis-information given by other authorities that gets people into trouble and slows them down.

I think the confusion here has to do with "length of process" vs "length of separation". The primary reason that the K-1 looked so attractive to us, for example, is because we could be together for most of it. It may very well be that you get a greencard faster with a spouse visa, but you will probably have to endure a longer separation to do it. I think most of us just want to be reunited with our loved ones ASAP, and don't care if that means going through the EAD, AP, 2 year conditional greencard stuff, as long as we can be together.

We tried to DCF, couldn't, so chose the K1 and were reunited within 4 months of filing the I-129F. I don't know ANYONE who has been reunited that fast using a spouse visa, although I'd love to hear about it if it has happened...

Best wishes to all...

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.