ShallowShrek

just something i satrted to wonder

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They look for a very specific personality type, just like the type of people that become border officers. They received extensive training on how to spot deceptive people and also how to keep their cool while doing it.

I have met some very nice border officers and Immigration personnel. I've also met a lot of not very nice ones too.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Timeline
They look for a very specific personality type, just like the type of people that become border officers. They received extensive training on how to spot deceptive people and also how to keep their cool while doing it.

I have met some very nice border officers and Immigration personnel. I've also met a lot of not very nice ones too.

yes but education wise or experience wise how do they start this career?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Go to www.uscis.gov and look for the "job opportunities" link. I'm sure the info you seek is there somewhere.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Go to www.uscis.gov and look for the "job opportunities" link. I'm sure the info you seek is there somewhere.

Hmmm, pay is not too bad:

"9/29/2008 SUPVY CITIZENSHIP & IMMIGRATION APPEALS OFFICER-WORKING SUPV

You can make a significant impact on immigrant's lives while protecting and securing our shores by helping qualified immigrants and refugees gain the promise and potential of legally living and workin ...[more]

Vacancy Ann.#: CIS-PJN-212303-AAO

Who May Apply: Public

Pay Plan: GS-0930-15

Appointment Term: Permanent

Job Status: Full-Time

Opening Date: 9/22/2008

Salary: From 115,317.00 to 149,000.00 USD per year

Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services US-DC-WASHINGTON 115,317.00+"

No education requirements listed for this position.

"KEY REQUIREMENTS:

* U.S. Citizenship

* Background Security Investigation

* Drug Screening"

In my own personal experience with interviewer, thought I was speaking to a high school kid, only wish they would let me in during my wife's citizenship interview, and why not? Could have left for two minutes for the civics and English test, her interviewer was a word that rhythms with witch with the first letter the second one in the alphabet. No reason to treat an immigrant that way in a relatively new culture and country. And no consideration for the fact, they did go through all the steps to come here legally, it's the illegals they do not have anything to do with.

Feel one key requirement is to have an IQ no greater than 30 and an aid if you are manic depressive. In other agencies that govern corporations, the reason why most of them are there, cannot perform adequately in private industry as deadlines have to be met, with competence, and the bottom line is to show a profit. Heck if you need more money, just put a BSer in charge and send him to congress.

Some of the best BSer's I ran across are school administrators and that BS sure does not stand for a Bachelor of Science degree. Don't get into complicated subjects like basic multiplication tables, way too complicated for them, that is why they don't teach them to our kids.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The above is for a supervisor, not a person starting out

http://www.fedjobs.com/pay/pay.html They prob start out around a GS 7 or 8

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Ha, the reason why government jobs make a person a supervisor is they can't do the normal work, so just go in there and instead of bragging, just say, I don't know a dang thing, so applying for that supervisory position. But you can't go in for an interview as an idiot, have to go in as an idiot that can speak in an authoritative manner. I use to work for the government, but developed a need to work with intelligent people. Time and grade is the only requirement for advancement.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ha, the reason why government jobs make a person a supervisor is they can't do the normal work, so just go in there and instead of bragging, just say, I don't know a dang thing, so applying for that supervisory position. But you can't go in for an interview as an idiot, have to go in as an idiot that can speak in an authoritative manner. I use to work for the government, but developed a need to work with intelligent people. Time and grade is the only requirement for advancement.

Not always the case, I work in government and I had to pass three tests, an interview and then another interview for the job I wanted to go into. Was bloody hard and very stressful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure why you label all govt workers as incompetent, I know many that are not, including my wife, she work damn hard and earns every dime she makes . I could make comments about Venezuelan people as I have had friends have bad experiences in that country, but I'm above that.

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
they all have a tuff face with attitude and rudeness how do they become the job?

When they start they are quite normal, dealing with the moronic general public for a number of years causes the above. :innocent:

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline

Not sure why you label all govt workers as incompetent, I know many that are not, including my wife, she work damn hard and earns every dime she makes . I could make comments about Venezuelan people as I have had friends have bad experiences in that country, but I'm above that.

I am the idiot for not sticking with it, looks like the GS-15's are paying ten times as much today as back then, and not that far back then. And my crystal ball didn't tell me a huge portion of our manufacturing industry would be over exported overseas. But maybe the Chinese will take over these government jobs as well and they can do it because they are owning a larger and larger share of this country.

A test is only difficult if you don't know the answers, not going to brag, but was done so quick, was asked if I gave up, no, it was just an easy test. Was a GS-11 when I quit.

In regards to working hard, that poor old woman checking out groceries for us was working her can off, just commented your store is sure busy this morning. She replied, she was happy, was slow a couple of weeks ago, and they told her to go home, not making enough money to pay her bills, that is the way private businesses work.

Yes there are idiots in Venezuela, you can start off with the very top, but I am a natural born USC, wife is from there, also a very hard working, extremely intelligent woman. She fears this country will become like hers, she makes a good point the way government is taking over.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.