Irish Lass

Do you order foods from your homeland for comfort??

34 posts in this topic

Every so often I just have to place an expensive online order to get some brand name foods from the homeland. I'm expecting a delivery tomorrow and am as excited as a kid at Christmas waiting for the package of tasty goodness.

I'm getting:

Boiling Bacon for bacon and cabbage.

Parsley Sauce for bacon and cabbage dinner.

Knorr Curry Sauce for curry chips.

Bisto Chip Shop Curry for more curry chips.

Mushy Peas... just to eat on their own right from the can!!

Bachelors Baked Beans for beans on toast.

Real Rashers.... need I say more?

Birds Strawberry Trifle Mix... it's been so long since I've had good custard.

Potato Croquettes.. they just don't have anything close to them here.

Taytos Multi Pack.. munch munch

And sadly that was all I could afford this time, the shipping is insane :blink:

I'm saving the bacon and cabbage dinner for Sunday as it's for my husbands birthday dinner treat, he fell in love with that meal when in Ireland :)

So what are everyones guilty pleasures??????

My Timeline:

O1 Visa ~

Jan 2000 - Job offer in US

Jan 2000 -O1 Visa application started

March 2000 - Entered US on tourist visa to check out new job

July 2000 - Return to Ireland to have Passport updated

July 2000 - Return to US with O1 visa valid for 2 years

Dec 2001 - Visa extended to Dec 2004

Nov 2002 - Met future Husband

April 2003 - Started Dating future husband

April 2004 - Married :)

AOS ~

Nov 2004 - I-485 received

Nov 2004 - I-130 received

Nov 2004 - I-765 received

Aug 2005 - Biometrics

Jan 2006 - Initial Interview

Jan 2006- I-765 received

March 2006 - Biometrics

April 2006 - Green Card issued for 2 years (Total 1.5 years)

Removal of Conditions ~

March 2008 - I-751 received

March 2008 - 1 year extension

April 2008 - Biometrics

July 5th, 2008 - Request for Evidence

Aug 4th, 2008 - Mailed RFE

Aug 11th, 2008 - :) Card production ordered

Aug 18th, 2008 - 10 year Card Received :)(Total 5 months)

Other stuff ~

Sep 26, 2008 - Form I-90 mailed for name change from maiden on GC

Sep 30, 2008 - Check cashed for $370

Oct 3, 2008 - NOA received

Oct 20, 2008 - Biometrics

USflag.gifIreflag.gif

JP................................ Lorna

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am bringing in my lugage when we fly over:

- Lyons Tea and Lady Grey.

- McVitie's Dark chocolate covered Digestives.

- Bisto gravy granules.

Already arranged a swap with an Irish friend whereby he'll send me supplies of the above and I'll send back peanutbutter chocolate stuff

- Green&Black's Coco powder.

- SMA follow-on milk and Liga rusk for the twins.

- Herbamare herbal salt

- Assorted Swiss chocolates (dark and coffee)

- Ricola herbal sweets.

I am assuming you know http://www.foodireland.com/

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Oh digestives sound sooo good, I'll have to get them next time round. And Liga, my all time favourite :)

Yes, foodireland.com is where I ordered from :thumbs:

I am bringing in my lugage when we fly over:

- Lyons Tea and Lady Grey.

- McVitie's Dark chocolate covered Digestives.

- Bisto gravy granules.

Already arranged a swap with an Irish friend whereby he'll send me supplies of the above and I'll send back peanutbutter chocolate stuff

- Green&Black's Coco powder.

- SMA follow-on milk and Liga rusk for the twins.

- Herbamare herbal salt

- Assorted Swiss chocolates (dark and coffee)

- Ricola herbal sweets.

I am assuming you know http://www.foodireland.com/

My Timeline:

O1 Visa ~

Jan 2000 - Job offer in US

Jan 2000 -O1 Visa application started

March 2000 - Entered US on tourist visa to check out new job

July 2000 - Return to Ireland to have Passport updated

July 2000 - Return to US with O1 visa valid for 2 years

Dec 2001 - Visa extended to Dec 2004

Nov 2002 - Met future Husband

April 2003 - Started Dating future husband

April 2004 - Married :)

AOS ~

Nov 2004 - I-485 received

Nov 2004 - I-130 received

Nov 2004 - I-765 received

Aug 2005 - Biometrics

Jan 2006 - Initial Interview

Jan 2006- I-765 received

March 2006 - Biometrics

April 2006 - Green Card issued for 2 years (Total 1.5 years)

Removal of Conditions ~

March 2008 - I-751 received

March 2008 - 1 year extension

April 2008 - Biometrics

July 5th, 2008 - Request for Evidence

Aug 4th, 2008 - Mailed RFE

Aug 11th, 2008 - :) Card production ordered

Aug 18th, 2008 - 10 year Card Received :)(Total 5 months)

Other stuff ~

Sep 26, 2008 - Form I-90 mailed for name change from maiden on GC

Sep 30, 2008 - Check cashed for $370

Oct 3, 2008 - NOA received

Oct 20, 2008 - Biometrics

USflag.gifIreflag.gif

JP................................ Lorna

Filed: Other Timeline

I usually order a couple boxes of stuff 'round Christmas time for me and hubby from www.canadianfavourites.com and sometimes I'll order Brit food on-line, but I can't seem to find the shop I used to order from (they were in Virginia, so shipping didn't cost me too much).

I wish there was just one Commonwealth shop or somethin, so I could save myself the hassle of having to order from multiple sites for Canadian and British favourites.

Maybe some enterprising young VJ'er could take up the task eh? ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I usually order a couple boxes of stuff 'round Christmas time for me and hubby from www.canadianfavourites.com and sometimes I'll order Brit food on-line, but I can't seem to find the shop I used to order from (they were in Virginia, so shipping didn't cost me too much).

I wish there was just one Commonwealth shop or somethin, so I could save myself the hassle of having to order from multiple sites for Canadian and British favourites.

Maybe some enterprising young VJ'er could take up the task eh? ;)

Reba there was a british shop in old town alexandria here in VA who I believe had online ordering, however, the owner sadly had a bout of ill health and the shop had to be closed. Maybe this is the same store that you ordered from? My must haves are hula hoops, bisto, ambrosia creamed rice, kerrygold butter, galaxy chocolatge, jacobs cream crackers. I can luckily get all those here in VA at three different stores. We also have an irish fish and chip shop that imports irish food including soda bread (yum), and red lemonade. My parents are irish so i was raised on soda bread and red lemmo !

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

My husband about passed out from joy yesterday to see Hela curry ketchup at a German specialty store here. However, we couldn't justify spending nearly $6 bucks on a tiny bottle of ketchup he will eat in five seconds.

Occasionally, MIL sends us things from overseas, but we really can't justify the price of some of these products to buy in a specialty shop. I think the only things we buy here are Beck's, Warsteiner, Hengstenberg Apfelrotkohl and mysterious curry ketchup from the German aisle in Meijer. IKEA has a very heavy bread mix that we buy whenever we are up there to sub for traditional brick-through-a-window bread.

Good thing we are going back soon. Some things we miss you just can't send through the mail like chicken doeners. We miss those horrible, horrible things. :P

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Yesss!!! I miss some meat/sausage products from Germany which can't be imported :crying: and bread, bread, bread (yes wacken the brick-through-window stuff - love that expression).

Of the legal things, I ask friends and family to every once in a while send me:

Haribo Gummies (whatever available, I'll eat it all)

Ritter Sport and Milka Chocolate

Knorr Salad dressing (powder)

Schokokuesse (chocolate covered marshmallows, sort of)

Some hard candy like Nimm-Zwei

around Christmas it's Lebkuchen (Gingerbread) and Dominosteine (sorry, don't know how to translate...)

mmmhhh now I'm hungry....

For German foods, have you ever tried ordering stuff from German Deli? Very nice selection and great service, but of course quite pricey...

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

Very lucky here in Chicago. We have a store called Gaelic imports.. they have EVERYTHING!! :D Got tons of Irn Bru, scotch pies (real ones!) sausage rolls, walkers crisps, taytos, lots of breakfast stuff (bacon, scottish bangers, black/white pudding) soda bread etc etc

Ohh and tons of Cadburys chocolate too. :)

Well stocked up with HP brown sauce, typhoo tea & chefs vinegar too. Going to have my mum bring over stuff when she visits in January. :)

Edited by NickyMcMillan

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yesss!!! I miss some meat/sausage products from Germany which can't be imported :crying: and bread, bread, bread (yes wacken the brick-through-window stuff - love that expression).

Of the legal things, I ask friends and family to every once in a while send me:

Ritter Sport and Milka Chocolate

Knorr Salad dressing (powder)

Schokokuesse (chocolate covered marshmallows, sort of)

Some hard candy like Nimm-Zwei

around Christmas it's Lebkuchen (Gingerbread) and Dominosteine (sorry, don't know how to translate...)

mmmhhh now I'm hungry....

For German foods, have you ever tried ordering stuff from German Deli? Very nice selection and great service, but of course quite pricey...

I'm sure you can get that in the US, because everytime I saw it Tom would try and tempt me as he knows I love that stuff.

Mmm - We can't afford to order online - the things that I miss are decent sausages (the different flavoured Asda Extra Special ones were lush!) and bacon. Other than that, oxo cubes are really handy as stock seems to be expensive here and vegetable stock cubes are practically non-existent!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

a tip for people missing British things - try Indian / Pakistani / similar shops, if you have any in the area :)

I like cooking that sort of food, so have been into a few to explore (after things like couscous, nigella seeds, decently priced - and a good range of - curry pastes and powders, that sort of thing) and found all manner of random British things as well - Weetabix, Bird's custard powder, PG Tips, Ribena... the latest one I discovered had a whole British chocolate section! with Lion bars, Bounty, Cadbury's, Yorkies... can't even remember it all :)

oh, and they have a huge range of Knorr and Maggi stock, Jeraly, and it was VERY reasonably priced ;)

and I know I said elsewhere, but just in case it's helpful - I found German style bread (as well as a PLETHORA of German and British stuff) in the Spec's downtown, here in Houston... they're a liquor store, but this one outlet has a gourmet food place attached :)

so I guess the moral of the story is: look where you think the stuff might be, and look where you think it might not be; you may be surprised ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

:lol: We're quite lucky in that grocery stores around here stock Pataks and have a pretty decent "foreign" section with things like various pastes and sauces as well as couscous, coconut milk etc. And we found out that Jeremy *loves* wasabi - we found a tube of wasabi paste in World Market for a mere $1.99!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

oh, the grocery stores here have some supplies too, but usually the choice is limited, and it's all more expensive than in those other stores ;)

and my main point was not that you can get Indian / Pakistani stuff there, but that you might be surprised by the UK provisions they also have ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

My husband loves Haribo, particularly the licorice. Occasionally we'll pick some gummi bears up at CVS or something, but like most things, it is overpriced compared to what we *know* it costs. I am interested in going to the grocery store when we go back to Germany. I have heard so much on the German news about inflation (particularly when it comes to food), so I wonder what all is different in pricing. I.am.a.dork.

Have you tried the IKEA Swedish rye bread? It is stupid easy to make and about the only thing I have found here that comes close to what I had over there. There is a quasi-German bakery here. On their website it says they try to stay as German as possible so don't make this or that. My husband and I went there for the first time yesterday to buy a cake for a guy at work. Most of the cakes had buttercream frosting and were yellow, two things I basically never saw in Germany. Believe me, I at least was looking for the frosting. There was also no good vollkornbrot there that I really saw. Did have preztels and a few decent looking pastries. This was also the place where my husband found the ketchup of his dreams and there were also a few other nice grocery type things. Mostly though the place looked like grandma's house of nic-nacs blew up all over it. It was much like a German themed version of Cracker Barrell if anything. People here love it though and can't say enough good about it. They apparently have quite a large German language video collection. We couldn't spend a lot of time looking around though, had to run to get our kid from daycare.

There is a German butcher here and my mother bought some cuts of pork from him. They were pretty decent, I have to say. Otherwise, it is a bit of a drive out of the way and I am pretty lazy. :P I would really like some Katenschinken though for green beans and spinach though. I'll have to get down there one of these days.

Has anyone ever tried www.karlehmer.com? That's the only deli meat we had in my house when I was a child.

Jen

...so I guess the moral of the story is: look where you think the stuff might be, and look where you think it might not be; you may be surprised ;)

Very true!! I actually found some things in the packaged food area of Marshall's department store here in Michigan... jams and sweets....

Edited by JenT

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.