TearzOfAPrincess

Newbie Here!!

25 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone! I am new here on the board and looking for some help. I have feel in love with someone here in Chicago who is Illegal from Mexico. What would you think would be the best way to get married. Would it be better if he and I went back to mexico and got married or him return to mexico and I request for him to come here and get married. Also if i do that What would I put on the form where it says how did you meet him? Any Help would be great...

Either way, he is going to need a waiver to become legal in the US, if he is eligible for one. And he must return to Mexico to file the waiver and wait there while it is apporoved. The wavier must prove extreme hardship to the US citizen if the alien is not allowed to live in the US and the US citizen has to move to the foreign country.

Depending on the details of his case, he may be eligible for a waiver which is available for the spouse/fiance or son/daughter of a US citizen. The best site for waiver information is immigrate2us.net. They have a section for Mexico.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

If you marry him while he is in this country illegally you will not be able to adjust his status. He will get a 10 year ban and be deported.

Partially correct. He cannot obtain legal status without leaving the US and getting a waiver approved. Illegal presence of one year or more bans you for 10 years once you leave the US. If he gets caught here illegally, he will be placed in removal proceedings.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Tell your boyfriend to go back to Mexico and you will submit a petition for him to come to the United States on a K-1 visa.

If you marry him while he is in this country illegally you will not be able to adjust his status. He will get a 10 year ban and be deported.

Partially correct. He cannot obtain legal status without leaving the US and getting a waiver approved. Illegal presence of one year or more bans you for 10 years once you leave the US. If he gets caught here illegally, he will be placed in removal proceedings.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Tell your boyfriend to go back to Mexico and you will submit a petition for him to come to the United States on a K-1 visa.

Any of the previous answers might be true but "illegal" isn't enough information to know. If he overstayed a legal entry the answer is far different from having entered illegally. Which is it?

In any event, getting married can be in the place of your choice. Your issue isn't getting married, it's how you end up living in the same country together legally.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Any of the previous answers might be true but "illegal" isn't enough information to know. If he overstayed a legal entry the answer is far different from having entered illegally. Which is it?

In any event, getting married can be in the place of your choice. Your issue isn't getting married, it's how you end up living in the same country together legally.

True, I took it to mean illegal entry as it is the most common form of illegal presence for people from Mexico. I may have incorrectly assumed this was the situation of the OP. Sorry if this caused confusion to the OP.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Did your boyfriend get caught staying here illegally? I mean is there something on his record that proves he snuck into the US illegally?

I hate to give 'illegal' advice but if he returns to Mexico via the El Paso bridge of Americas (aka bridge cordoba), he will not have to go through customs. He will simply walk across the bridge and into Mexico, no questions ask, not even a word will be exchanged between your boyfriend and a single customs or immigration officer.

I recently crossed into Mexico through this bridge and I was shocked that I could just walk across the bridge and into Mexico without the travel being documented or my belongings being searched. However, if you walk from the opposite side of the bridge (walking from Mexico to the US), the bridge will lead to a customs inspection building.

Edited by thegreatgate

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband was here illegally and we were married in April 2008. He has been in the US since 1999. We filed for the I-130 visa. He will have to return to Mexico for his waiver hearing after the I-130 is approved. My plans are to go with him. My advice is to seek a great immigration attorney as we have done so. Good Luck

08-14-2000 Met and began dating

04-19-2008 Our Wedding Day

USCIS Process:

04-21-2008 Sent Petition for I-130

05-05-2008 Received NOA1 - VSC

11-05-2008 Received Notification of Transfer - CSC

11-12-2008 Touched

11-13-2008 Touched

11-14-2008 Touched again :-)

11-26-2008 Touched - could we be getting close?!?!

11-27-2008 Touched - indicating I-130 Approval!!! Thank you God

12-01-2008 Received NOA2 Approval Notice

NVC Process:

12-02-2008 NVC assigned case number

12-05-2008 AOS & Fee Bill sent to attorney

12-16-2008 AOS & IV Bill received from attorney

12-17-2008 Paid AOS & IV Fee Bill online - Status "In Process"

12-18-2008 AOS & IV Fee Bill status "PAID" and Cover Sheets printed

12-18-2008 Notice on NVC AVR that Packet of Info & Documents Generated

01-05-2009 Completed & Sent Affidavit of Support

01-26-2009 Completed & Sent DS-230

02-02-2009 NVC recieved Checklist

02-09-2009 Case Complete at NVC

02-25-2009 Found out that 1st appointment is on April 2nd

04-02-2009 Went to 1st appointment in Ciudad Juarez & eligable for waiver

06-02-2009 Had I-601 waiver appointment in Ciudad Juarez

06-04-2009 Notified by DHL that we were backlogged - told to wait 15 months

Currently waiting on an answer and to bring hubby home!!!!

Is there anyone else who takes offense to this? It's hard as hell to get someone here legally & illegals get a free pass? :no:

Illegals don't get a free pass if they marry here, file the I-130 and return to their own country to file a waiver. They aren't able to adjust status here. I respect those that follow the process of the law to become legal. I don't respect those who get married and stay illegal.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Now we need an 'opening a can of worms' smiley.....

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm not trying to start trouble but the matter of fact reactions from everyone else were rather disappointing. I've had a hell of a time getting my fiancee here legally with all the hoops we have to jump through & I'm sorry but I have little sympathy for those who are in the USA illegally.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

I'm not trying to start trouble but the matter of fact reactions from everyone else were rather disappointing. I've had a hell of a time getting my fiancee here legally with all the hoops we have to jump through & I'm sorry but I have little sympathy for those who are in the USA illegally.

+1

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's just as "pushbrk" stated earlier. Did your fiance enter LEGALLY (ie:visitor, student, worker visa ) and overstayed OR did he/she enter the USA illegally ?

If it's just a matter of overstaying a visa, then the fiance CAN adjust status while REMAINING in the United States. Ensure that he/she has the I-94 handy, which you will need later on.

If it's the case where he/she entered ILLEGALLY ( jump the fence - sort to speak) then consult with an immigration attorney immediately. IT CAN BE DONE ALSO WITHOUT HIM/HER LEAVING THE USA. However, It will be an extremely LENGHTY process.

Good Luck !!

I-130 re-submitted 05-22-2009

June 3rd 2009 - Rec Hardcopy NOA 1

June 5th 2009 - Touched

August 21 2009 - Touched

August 24 2009 - APPROVED - NOA 2

Sept 1st 2009 - NVC Rec - Case # assigned

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.