nowhereman

Political Threads

368 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yesterday I responded to a controversial post via insults & name calling and for that I apologize. There are certain individuals who, because they want to start trouble or have very extreme views that rely on exaggerations & distorted information, generate a negative reaction from the majority of forum posters. However responding to these posts with personal insults isn't the answer and only brings you down to their level.

Most of these individuals thrive on controversy & attention, so I say lets not encourage them! Lets all either ignore these individuals or at least point out why their views are based on ignorance and perhaps even hatred. They probably won't get it, but as long as you keep it clean & point out the flaws in their argument that's all you can do. Now I am not suggesting there is a correct view and a wrong one (I am referring to the extreme right or left), but I am saying lets all try to respect one another.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Yesterday I responded to a controversial post via insults & name calling and for that I apologize. There are certain individuals who, because they want to start trouble or have very extreme views that rely on exaggerations & distorted information, generate a negative reaction from the majority of forum posters. However responding to these posts with personal insults isn't the answer and only brings you down to their level.

Most of these individuals thrive on controversy & attention, so I say lets not encourage them! Lets all either ignore these individuals or at least point out why their views are based on ignorance and perhaps even hatred. They probably won't get it, but as long as you keep it clean & point out the flaws in their argument that's all you can do. Now I am not suggesting there is a correct view and a wrong one (I am referring to the extreme right or left), but I am saying lets all try to respect one another.

You're an eternal optimist, aren't you?

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

:lol: I felt bad that I took the bait

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

:lol: I felt bad that I took the bait

I've never really engaged in a conversation with 'britty' until yesterday, but I agree with you to a point about just ignoring the baiting. However, 'britty', yesterday labelled community organizers communists and then concluded Obama is a communist and so I called him/her/it on being full of sh!t. I stand behind what I said. I don't know who they are and I've been here for awhile on VJ, but I'm not going to sit idle while something so absurd gets posted about either candidate. 'britty' was being deliberately dishonest and probably doing it for kicks, but if you read 'britty's' posts, they mostly have a serious tone, albeit a nasty, insulting one which to me means they don't really want to engage in a meaningful debate...they just want to shoot the sh!t out of their mouths.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

How can this be an apology when you open by accusing others of doing what you have also been seen as doing? Your very first post to me was that I should not reproduce because that would be a crime. I never heard of you before that. Then, you accused me of being someone with extreme, controversial views and wanting to start trouble, which I am not. It would be easier to take your apology seriously if you didn't continue to judge others thru such a narrow paradigm.

The fact is, all someone has to do here is merely not have the same political views as another person, to be described that way. An extremist on OT is a Republican or a Democrat, a McCain supporter or an Obama supporter, that's all. It goes downhill from there. So, who is to judge who is an extremist, has controversial views, wants attention? Anyone who posts here can be asumed to want attention for their posts. Anyone who supports a candiate is extemist since they have taken sides, and that is seen as unacceptable to the other side.

The issue is how do you conduct yourself on the board, not your views or the other guys views, and you can only control yourself. If you get sucked into the vitriol and hatred, and most of us do, then you're normal, because, frankly, most of the posters here seem to have nothing more to contribute to a political discussion other than hostility, puke and bile. So, if someone gets in your face with nothing other than puke and bile, they have made no attempt to offer analysis or reasonable discourse or you have never had a civil exchange with them, take the hint, that person is trying to bait you. I know who my baiters are, and I have no one to blame but myself if I let them drag me down to their level.

How can this be an apology when you open by accusing others of doing what you have also been seen as doing? Your very first post to me was that I should not reproduce because that would be a crime. I never heard of you before that. Then, you accused me of being someone with extreme, controversial views and wanting to start trouble, which I am not. It would be easier to take your apology seriously if you didn't continue to judge others thru such a narrow paradigm.

The fact is, all someone has to do here is merely not have the same political views as another person, to be described that way. An extremist on OT is a Republican or a Democrat, a McCain supporter or an Obama supporter, that's all. It goes downhill from there. So, who is to judge who is an extremist, has controversial views, wants attention? Anyone who posts here can be asumed to want attention for their posts. Anyone who supports a candiate is extemist since they have taken sides, and that is seen as unacceptable to the other side.

The issue is how do you conduct yourself on the board, not your views or the other guys views, and you can only control yourself. If you get sucked into the vitriol and hatred, and most of us do, then you're normal, because, frankly, most of the posters here seem to have nothing more to contribute to a political discussion other than hostility, puke and bile. So, if someone gets in your face with nothing other than puke and bile, they have made no attempt to offer analysis or reasonable discourse or you have never had a civil exchange with them, take the hint, that person is trying to bait you. I know who my baiters are, and I have no one to blame but myself if I let them drag me down to their level.

All great points.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

WELCOME TO VJ !!!

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Another pithy post from the awesome GEG. You go get 'em, oh, well go get me, of course as I am surely one of your 'baiters'. :lol:

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Another pithy post from the awesome GEG. You go get 'em, oh, well go get me, of course as I am surely one of your 'baiters'. :lol:

Actually, you're not one of my baiters, ph. On a scale of 1 to 10, you're about a 3, pretty benign. Sometimes, you even say something intellegent and that's what saves you.

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, when this is how you enter a discussion, you aren't exactly going to get the Welcome Wagon rolled out, ya know?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2234883

Timeline

Well, when this is how you enter a discussion, you aren't exactly going to get the Welcome Wagon rolled out, ya know?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2234883

I sometimes mistakenly read the "wife" part when in fact I think "troll".