gusss

I just got married, she is Cuban I am Colombian

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well... the story guys is like this...

I am Colombian and have just got married a beautiful cuban girl. She will be entering hopefully Colombia next month.

We will be going to Mexico for our honeymoon, and then just walk up to the US boarder, and ask for asylum.

I've known cases in which cuba refugees, just walk up to the US boarder, the ask for asylum, 3 hours later, they get "parole", and 1 year and 1 day after, they apply for the PERMANENT RESIDENCE.....Public law 89-732, "The Cuban Adjustment Act" Under the Cuban Adjustment Act, a Cuban citizen who reaches the United States is allowed to stay after being interviewed and inspected. A year and a day after entering the United States, that person is allowed to become a permanent resident.

Now the question here folks is.....

I am colombian she is cuban. If she walks up to the US boarder to the patrol officer, asks for asylum, will I get to enter the US, right there in the same moment, since I am her husband?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No, once she becomes a permanent resident then she could petition to bring you here and you would have to follow the normal process.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Sylvia n Joseph's answer is correct. Being married to an asylum seeker does not give you rights to enter the US.

In fact, being married to a US Citizen doesn't give you the right to enter the US. As everyone here will tell you, it takes a lot of time to wait for paperwork, and there are various checks on your admissibility.

After she gets a green card, she can petition for you to come, but the process for the spouse of a green card holder is significantly longer than the process for the spouse of a citizen. The K-3 option isn't available to green card holders. The only option is the CR-1 or IR-1 visa. But there's a wait for a visa number if the petitioner is not a US Citizen. The wait is typically multiple years.

Five years after your spouse gets a green card, she will probably be eligible for citizenship. At that time, she can upgrade her petition and you'll be eligible to immigrate as the spouse of a US Citizen.

She would be required to maintain her residence inside the US for those five years, in order to keep her green card and maintain her eligibility for citizenship. You would be required to stay outside the US for those five years. She could visit you for short periods of time, but she would have to spend more than half her time inside the US, she couldn't take any single trip outside the US for more than six months, and she would have to maintain her residence inside the US.

You may want to discuss these issues with an immigration attorney before you show up at the border.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Do Cubans require a visa to go to Mexico? Have you looked into that as well? I know Colombians do and it's not very easy to get them.

Also, I don't think it's that easy if you renounce your Colombian citizenship only to ask for asylum in the US as a Cuban. The USCIS is not dumb and will probably ask all kinds of questions during your interview if they end up letting you in.

Best thing is to definitely consult with an immigration lawyer before making any drastic moves.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Do Cubans require a visa to go to Mexico? Have you looked into that as well? I know Colombians do and it's not very easy to get them.

Also, I don't think it's that easy if you renounce your Colombian citizenship only to ask for asylum in the US as a Cuban. The USCIS is not dumb and will probably ask all kinds of questions during your interview if they end up letting you in.

Best thing is to definitely consult with an immigration lawyer before making any drastic moves.

Diana

Thanks for your help....

I am also colombian, and I know how hard it is, and I also know cubas need a visa to enter mexico.

The good part of this is... I Know how to get them easily, so going to mexico is not a problem

No, once she becomes a permanent resident then she could petition to bring you here and you would have to follow the normal process.

Thanks for you help.

Look what I found, is't in spanish though...

Acta de Ajuste de Status para Refugiados Cubanos

Abogados Cuba - Cualquier nacional cubano y sus familiares inmediatos pueden solicitar la residencia permanente un año después de haber ingresado a los Estados Unidos. No hay límite de tiempo para tal solicitud. Los familiares inmediatos incluyen hijos y cónyuges, incluyendo cónyuges que contraen matrimonios con nacionales cubanos después de haber ingresado a los Estados Unidos.

El cónyuge e hijos no deben ser necesariamente nacionales cubanos para poder solicitar el ajuste de status por medio de un familiar directo cubano. Sin embargo, necesitan haber convivido con el familiar cubano y al momento de la entrevista para ajustar status, el nacional cubano debe estar vivo para que el cónyuge o hijos puedan convertirse en residentes permanentes. Una excepción a esta regla es el caso de cónyuge o hijo maltratado.

El Acta de Ajuste de Status para Refugiados Cubanos se aplica aun en los casos en que el nacional cubano haya obtenido otra nacionalidad. Dicho acta también se extiende a los cubanos que no hayan arribado a un puerto de entrada designado, es decir, en los casos en que se haya ingresado a los Estados Unidos sin inspección, siempre y cuando el nacional cubanos se haya presentado personalmente ante el Servicio de Inmigración, permitiendo que dicha oficina le otorgue un “parole” durante el tiempo en que la decisión del Juez de Inmigración este pendiente.

here is the link,,,,,

http://www.abogada.com/abogados/cuba/aboga...giados_Cubanos/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Under the Cuban Refugee Adjustment Act, nationals of Cuba and the immediate relatives of Cuban nationals may apply for permanent residency after one year of physical presence in the United States if paroled into the United States or admitted to the United States as nonimmigrants. A spouse or child of a Cuban national need not be a citizen or native of Cuba to be eligible to apply for permanent residency. But the spouse or child must live with the Cuban national.

The issue is that if you aren't granted asylum and admitted because you are not cuban then you won't be living with her.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It sounds like a big risk to me.

Good luck!

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Also, you need to consider that every naturalization process takes time, you wont be acquiring the cuban citizenship automatically just because you marry her, it would take some time too.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I'm also cuban and I'm pretty sure that in order to obtain cuban citizenship you must live in Cuba for certain amount of time. Anyway, you can go to the Cuba MINREX web page and get some information about the requirements to apply for cuban citizenship. I agree with one of the posts that says that USCIS will find very suspicious the fact that you became a cuban citizen and applied for bennefits under Cuban Adjustment Act. That can be risky. There is a case of a cuban guy who lived in Venezuela for around 5 years and went to USA's border in Mexico with his venezuelan wife and venezuelan kids. He planned to do exactly what you are planning to do, in this case the no-cuban was the wife. He got his parole the same day, the wife and kids remained detained for months until they were granted parole as well after the office of congressman Lincoln Diaz-Balart and congresswoman Iliana Ros-Lethinen pushed hard for this lady and kids to be reunited with the cuban husband. That case created a precedent and you may find information online about that. At the same time, I have a couple of cuban friends, married for more than 15 years, living in Mexico for around 10 years, with a baby born in Mexico. The three of them went to the Laredo's border in Mexico with the intention to gain assylum under parole and come to this country as cubans that they are. Well, the immigration officers denied the parole because the baby was born in Mexico. They could get into US soil under parole but not the baby. It's gonna be like 2 years since they have been trying to come to live here and it has never been possible because of that. So I don't know what to say. I agree with Diana, it's a risk if you try to apply for assylum at a border because of your cuban wife. There are a lot of possibilities that you will be denied and that will not be good if in the future you try to apply for a tourist visa or another type of visa to come here. It will always be in the USCIS computer. That's my opinion.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.