mojothedestroyer

Mandatory Gardasil vaccination for Citizenship?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
In a press release from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Agency, it was noted that as of July 1, 2008, any immigrant wishing to become a legal US citizen will be required to take the controversial Gardasil as part of their inoculations.

Gardasil, a vaccine for the HPV (Human Papillomavirus) has been under fire due to the fact that it has caused illness and even death in some people. Additionally, the CDC opposed the mandatory use of Gardasil because HPV is not a contagious disease. An immigration lawyer has questioned the governments decision regarding these requirements stating "If the government is trying to take care of everyone, they should be doing it also with the citizens."

Thoughts?

Personally, if I was going for my Citizenship, this would make me think SERIOUS second thoughts.

Feel you are misreading the new directive, not for US citizenship but for immigrants first entering this country and may include travelers as well.

From http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/civil_ti_vacc_2008_three.htm

"Memorandum: Vaccination Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons

Date: May 8, 2008

To: Civil Surgeons

Subject: Revised Vaccination Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons

This memorandum announces the release of the revised Vaccination Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons. These instructions supersede all previous vaccination-related “Technical Instructions,” “Updates to the Technical Instructions,” memoranda and letters to civil surgeons.

The revised Vaccination Technical Instructions are effective beginning July 1, 2008.

Any person who seeks admission to the United States as an immigrant or who seeks adjustment of visa status to that of permanent resident is required to show documentation of having received vaccinations against vaccine-preventable diseases, as recommended by the U.S. Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP). Because of new ACIP vaccine recommendations, significant changes in the Vaccination Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons have been made, as follows:

1. Rotavirus vaccine should be given orally to children 6 through 32 weeks of age.

2. Hepatitis A vaccine should be given to children 12 through 23 months of age.

3. Tetravalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine should be given to persons 11 through 18 years of age. Tetravalent meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine is an acceptable alternative.

4. Human papillomavirus vaccine should be given to girls and women 11 through 26 years of age.

5. Zoster vaccine should be given to persons 60 years of age or older.

6. Hepatitis B vaccine should be given to all applicants from birth through 18 years of age.

7. Influenza vaccine should be given annually to children 6 through 59 months of age; it continues to be required for adults 50 years of age or older.

8. Acellular pertussis-containing vaccines are available for use in persons at least 10 years of age.

The revised Vaccination Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons are available at CDC/DGMQ’s website at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/civil.htm.

Updates to the Technical Instructions are posted at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/updates.htm. Specific information on vaccines, including tables on age-appropriate vaccines and ACIP recommendations, are available at CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD) website: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines. If in the future, the ACIP recommendations are changed or updated, the recommendations in the CDC/NCIRD website should be followed.

CDC/DGMQ has posted a link at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/civil.htm or “Frequently Asked Questions” about the revised Vaccination Technical Instructions. If further guidance is needed, CDC’s DGMQ staff is available for consultation and may be reached at 404-498-1600."

To the best of my knowledge, the only place where these required vaccinations occur are on the I-693 form

This site gives more information on

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/...PV_Vaccines.asp Human papillomavirus vaccine.

You get the impression it is to protect sexually active young women, that in my opinion, shouldn't be sexually active in the first place, they can pick up far worse infections than cervical cancer. Our clinic is pushing practically all the vaccinations listed above for the particular sex and age groups. Each country has their own set of regulations regarding vaccinations, wife and daughter were required to have vaccinations in Venezuela that our doctors here weren't even aware that they were still given.

But one thing about this country, if that vaccination does cause serious health problems or death, you are in a very good position to file for a multi-million dollar lawsuit, so they better be darn careful.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
If you choose to immigrate to a country and that countries immigration policy is that you need to have a vaccination done then you have a choice, you either have the vaccination and get the immigration status that you want or you dont get the vaccination done and you dont get the immigration benifit.

Every country of the world is free to impose its own immigration laws and requirements. The US are not making this a requirment of Citizenship, They are making it a requirment to immigrate to the US. If you are already here in the US and have your Greencard then you do not need to have this vaccination done to become a citizen. If you are just applying for a visa then you will need to have this vaccination done if you are in the age group before they will approve your visa.

That's really not what I meant when I started this thread. I know that if the US decides that you must be able to juggle 8 hockey pucks with one hand tied behind your back to be able to gain entry, then they can decide that and that's the end of it.

My reason for opening this topic is to discuss the concern I have for the US to make this specific vaccination a mandatory thing. This is a relatively new vaccine, testing is as yet inconclusive as to long term effects and there are risks of death and illness attached to this vaccine that don't happen with other ones. The CDC doesn't agree with this course of action, stating that the illness that this vaccine protects females against is not a communicable disease.

My question is, why did they choose this particular vaccine. Why not something a little more important like the chicken pox or pneumonia vaccinations? Why did they choose something so controversial. THAT is my question.

I-129F Sent : 2005-07-15

As is common, the reporter got it wrong.

There's no medical exam or vaccinations required for going from LPR to citizenship. That's a reasonable policy because once you're in the US with LPR status, you're in amongst the rest of us, and your ability to transmit contagious diseases isn't affected by whether you carry a green card or a voter registration card.

There IS a medical exam required for obtaining LPR status, sometimes given abroad as part of the process to obtain a visa. And LPR status is a prerequisite for citizenship, so indirectly, the vaccine will become a requirement for some people getting on the path toward citizenship. The reporter thought he/she was simplifying by leaving out a few details and said it was required for citizenship.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
If you choose to immigrate to a country and that countries immigration policy is that you need to have a vaccination done then you have a choice, you either have the vaccination and get the immigration status that you want or you dont get the vaccination done and you dont get the immigration benifit.

Every country of the world is free to impose its own immigration laws and requirements. The US are not making this a requirment of Citizenship, They are making it a requirment to immigrate to the US. If you are already here in the US and have your Greencard then you do not need to have this vaccination done to become a citizen. If you are just applying for a visa then you will need to have this vaccination done if you are in the age group before they will approve your visa.

That's really not what I meant when I started this thread. I know that if the US decides that you must be able to juggle 8 hockey pucks with one hand tied behind your back to be able to gain entry, then they can decide that and that's the end of it.

My reason for opening this topic is to discuss the concern I have for the US to make this specific vaccination a mandatory thing. This is a relatively new vaccine, testing is as yet inconclusive as to long term effects and there are risks of death and illness attached to this vaccine that don't happen with other ones. The CDC doesn't agree with this course of action, stating that the illness that this vaccine protects females against is not a communicable disease.

My question is, why did they choose this particular vaccine. Why not something a little more important like the chicken pox or pneumonia vaccinations? Why did they choose something so controversial. THAT is my question.

This goes right back to government agencies, all 1,525 of them, making rules and regulations that congress is not even aware of, since about the early 70's when most of these agencies were started, it has grown extremely complex like the IRS having over 11,000 pages of regulations, the FDA sure isn't batting a thousand anymore approving drugs that are really killing people. All you can do is gather some facts and send them to your congressman, if he is not to busy trying to get elected every two years. You would be surprised in the number of instances where if you follow the regulations of one agency you will be breaking the regulations of another. Crazy and if they do screw up, just resign and put another guy in charge, feel some of those heads should be put in jail for the rest of their lives.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.