JamesRachel

After you get in USA what next?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello VJ ,

I wanted to ask some info. after you get in usa with your k3 type of visa , you really need to apply AOS right? Im so confused and wanted to know how the visa flow after you get in usa,after you apply AOS what next? Does it mean someone can have a green card that time too. I know it was far enough for me to know about this but just want to know how it works. Im curious about this and wanted to more. Your reply are needed, Thanks.

12-05-08 Arrived at Detroit Airport

12-06-08 Cincinnati, Ohio

12-13- 08 Detroit, Maine ( Home )

01-25-09 Sent EAD to St. Albans, Vermont

01-27-09 Confirm St. Albans, Vermont received!

03-30-09 Approval notice sent

03-31-09 EAD sent for printing

04-01-09 EAD Card Mailed

04-04-09 EAD Card in Hand

04-07-09 Applied SSN ( need to wait a 10 days or 2 weeks to deliver)

01-15-2011 10 yrs Green Card Receive

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Hello VJ ,

I wanted to ask some info. after you get in usa with your k3 type of visa , you really need to apply AOS right? Im so confused and wanted to know how the visa flow after you get in usa,after you apply AOS what next? Does it mean someone can have a green card that time too. I know it was far enough for me to know about this but just want to know how it works. Im curious about this and wanted to more. Your reply are needed, Thanks.

I have posted this in the Philippine Forum today..

Please read below the difference or CR-1 and K3 Visa.. Which one is the fastest one and more beneficial.. I have found this online and thought maybe this will help some people that is just starting the process.

What is the CR-1 Visa?

The CR-1 (Conditional Resident) visa allows applicants to receive conditional permanent residence upon arrival in the US. Recipients of the CR-1 are able to work immediately upon arrival in the US. Conditional Residents usually receive their green card in the mail 2 - 3 months after arrival. Permanent resident status is considered conditional, because the immigrant must prove that they did not get married merely to circumvent the immigration laws of the United States.

The conditional resident and the US citizen spouse must apply together to remove the conditional status of permanent residence. It is advisable to apply 90 days before the end of the spouse’s second year as a conditional resident. If the application to remove conditional status is not filed in time, the immigrant spouse could lose her conditional resident status and be subject to removal from the country.

What is an IR-1 Visa?

An IR-1 (Immigrant Resident) visa is for a spouse of a US citizen that has been married to the US citizen for two (2) or more years. The IR-1 is basically the same as the CR-1 except that upon arrival in the United States the holder of an IR-1 visa is an unconditional permanent resident with the immediate right to work. There is no conditional period of residence and the IR-1 holder does not need to file to have his/her residence made permanent. IR-1 holders usually receive their green card in the mail 2 - 3 months after arrival.

K-3 Visa & CR-1 Visa Process

The K-3 visa vs. the Immigrant (CR-1, IR-1) visas:

The K-3 visa was created with one intention: to allow spouses of U.S. citizens to swiftly get a visa to the U.S. without waiting for an immigrant visa (CR-1, IR-1) to become available. However, for spouses of U.S. citizens, there is no annual limit to the number CR-1 or IR-1 visas that can be issued each year, so an these visas are always immediately available.

The only difference between the K-3 and the immigrant visas (CR-1 and IR-1) is processing time. The USCIS must apply the exact same standards to both the CR-1 and IR-1 petitions for spouses of US Citizens as it does for K-3 visa petitions for spouses of US Citizens. It usually takes 2-3 months longer for the CR-1 and IR-1 Visa’s to be processed because the National Visa Center takes more time to process these visas.

The K-3 visa is faster up front, but a spouse who enters the country on a K-3 visa must adjust his or her status to conditional residency after he or she enters the United States. The time and money saved by getting the K-3 visa is made up because the adjustment of status demands an additional investment of time and money.

The bottom line: If you are looking to get your spouse into the United States as soon as possible then the K-3 visa is the way to go. However, if speed is not essential and if it is important that your spouse is a permanent resident from the moment he/she enters the US and will be able to work upon entry into the country, then the Immigrant (CR-1 and IR-1) visas are a better fit.

Edited by Completely
jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Timeline
Hello VJ ,

I saw your timeline and noticed that you are already married.. I am wondering why did you file K3 instead of CR-1 Visa since you are already married??..

You know K3 is more head aches than a CR-1 Visa.. Yes you two will be reunited quickly, but you can not work till you adjust your status and apply for EAD..

Please read the above post for information.

Timeline
Hello VJ ,

I saw your timeline and noticed that you are already married.. I am wondering why did you file K3 instead of CR-1 Visa since you are already married??..

You know K3 is more head aches than a CR-1 Visa.. Yes you two will be reunited quickly, but you can not work till you adjust your status and apply for EAD..

Hello VJ ,

HERE is an overview/flowchart of the process - it looks like you are at Step 15. :thumbs:

Filed: Other Timeline

Because K3 is for married couples who want to be together faster than a CR1 can be processed maybe? (in most countries anyway, K3 is a bit faster).

To the OP, once you have your K3 and have moved to the US, you will need to apply for Adjustment of Status and Employment Authorization. Depending where in the US you will be living will depend on the processing time. The fees are currently $1010. See the AOS forum and the Guides above for detailed info.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Because K3 is for married couples who want to be together faster than a CR1 can be processed maybe? (in most countries anyway, K3 is a bit faster).

To the OP, once you have your K3 and have moved to the US, you will need to apply for Adjustment of Status and Employment Authorization. Depending where in the US you will be living will depend on the processing time. The fees are currently $1010. See the AOS forum and the Guides above for detailed info.

Thanks your reply. But I want more to know about the unconditional residence and pernament residence it will be apply after the AOS approval?

Hello VJ ,

Thanks to your reply.

12-05-08 Arrived at Detroit Airport

12-06-08 Cincinnati, Ohio

12-13- 08 Detroit, Maine ( Home )

01-25-09 Sent EAD to St. Albans, Vermont

01-27-09 Confirm St. Albans, Vermont received!

03-30-09 Approval notice sent

03-31-09 EAD sent for printing

04-01-09 EAD Card Mailed

04-04-09 EAD Card in Hand

04-07-09 Applied SSN ( need to wait a 10 days or 2 weeks to deliver)

01-15-2011 10 yrs Green Card Receive

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Thanks your reply. But I want more to know about the unconditional residence and pernament residence it will be apply after the AOS approval?

Hello VJ ,

Thanks to your reply.

Plan to apply for AOS upon arrival, once you establish a joint bank account and other evidence of a bona fide marriage. It will take up to 7 months to obtain it. Is that what you are asking? The AOS (green card) will be valid for two years and then must be renewed for ten years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hello VJ ,

I have posted this in the Philippine Forum today..

Please read below the difference or CR-1 and K3 Visa.. Which one is the fastest one and more beneficial.. I have found this online and thought maybe this will help some people that is just starting the process.

What is the CR-1 Visa?

The CR-1 (Conditional Resident) visa allows applicants to receive conditional permanent residence upon arrival in the US. Recipients of the CR-1 are able to work immediately upon arrival in the US. Conditional Residents usually receive their green card in the mail 2 - 3 months after arrival. Permanent resident status is considered conditional, because the immigrant must prove that they did not get married merely to circumvent the immigration laws of the United States.

The conditional resident and the US citizen spouse must apply together to remove the conditional status of permanent residence. It is advisable to apply 90 days before the end of the spouse’s second year as a conditional resident. If the application to remove conditional status is not filed in time, the immigrant spouse could lose her conditional resident status and be subject to removal from the country.

What is an IR-1 Visa?

An IR-1 (Immigrant Resident) visa is for a spouse of a US citizen that has been married to the US citizen for two (2) or more years. The IR-1 is basically the same as the CR-1 except that upon arrival in the United States the holder of an IR-1 visa is an unconditional permanent resident with the immediate right to work. There is no conditional period of residence and the IR-1 holder does not need to file to have his/her residence made permanent. IR-1 holders usually receive their green card in the mail 2 - 3 months after arrival.

K-3 Visa & CR-1 Visa Process

The K-3 visa vs. the Immigrant (CR-1, IR-1) visas:

The K-3 visa was created with one intention: to allow spouses of U.S. citizens to swiftly get a visa to the U.S. without waiting for an immigrant visa (CR-1, IR-1) to become available. However, for spouses of U.S. citizens, there is no annual limit to the number CR-1 or IR-1 visas that can be issued each year, so an these visas are always immediately available.

The only difference between the K-3 and the immigrant visas (CR-1 and IR-1) is processing time. The USCIS must apply the exact same standards to both the CR-1 and IR-1 petitions for spouses of US Citizens as it does for K-3 visa petitions for spouses of US Citizens. It usually takes 2-3 months longer for the CR-1 and IR-1 Visa’s to be processed because the National Visa Center takes more time to process these visas.

The K-3 visa is faster up front, but a spouse who enters the country on a K-3 visa must adjust his or her status to conditional residency after he or she enters the United States. The time and money saved by getting the K-3 visa is made up because the adjustment of status demands an additional investment of time and money.

The bottom line: If you are looking to get your spouse into the United States as soon as possible then the K-3 visa is the way to go. However, if speed is not essential and if it is important that your spouse is a permanent resident from the moment he/she enters the US and will be able to work upon entry into the country, then the Immigrant (CR-1 and IR-1) visas are a better fit.

I'd say that's a perfect explanation.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Permanent residence is what you're applying for with the Adjustment of Status. If you are married less than 2 years at your interview time, you'll get Conditional Permanent Resident status and will need to apply ot remove conditions before your 2 years is up. If you are married more than 2 years at your interview time, then you'll get the 10 year permanent resident card.

Read the Guides.

Edited by Reba

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I cant stop laughing, I just saw your signature omg i spit coffee at the puter screen - damn classic good one Cheers and god speed on your journey!!!!!!!

Darn still laughing!!! :innocent:

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

When something goes wrong remember this saying "WHEN MAN PLANS, GOD LAUGHS"

www.orlando4obama.com

I-130 JOURNEY BEGINSSent August 28, 2007 to TSC for receipting in CSCReceived NOA1 from VSC December 21, 2007

Notes - earned USCIS skymiles for sure - postmarked from Chicago Lockbox

online finally 2/24/08

touchy feely 2/25/08

touched 2/27/2008 - great RFE requested - just wonderful news to see in your inbox early in the am

3/13 - RFE letter FINALLY received - and document that we sent NOW resent back to VSC grrrrowling

3/19 case resumed processing

3/20 touched

3./21 touched

3/23 Easter bunny touched again

4/01 - APPROVED I-130

4/02 - touched

4/07 - received hard copy approval

NVC JOURNEY BEGINS

4/07 NV Case number assigned

4/08 AOS, DS and all fees paid online

6/09 tax transcript for 2007 just became available -whoot

6/20 NVC receives everything nothing more to give them now just close eyes and pray

6/23 NVC enters into system

6/26 NVC - RFE uggh - wants all three years of Federal tax return listed and they lost originals or so they say - DING DING ROUND TWO

7/25 NVC Case completed whooottttttttt

8/7 Case forward to US EMBASSY LONDON OH YEAHHHHHHHH -

Embassy - case out for delivery to embassy via DHL sneaky us lol

08/10Received

08/19 Medical Exam completed - healthy oh yeah!!!!!!!!

9/26 @8am -Interview - approved VISA IN HAND OMG WHOOT!!! HELLO AMERICA MY LUV

POE- Atlanta then MCO - October 15th with the cat "GIT" on board lol - POE SUPER SWEET

Husband home finally - god what a journey....but after 400+ days we made it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.