redpixie

Just Married...What's the next thing to do Visa wise?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

We finally got married two days ago. We're still supposed to be on honeymoon but, due to Mr. Hurricane Ike, we were under manditory evaccuation (seens as we married and were honeymooning in Gavleston), so we had to come home yesterday. Nothing like having to do all the hurricane preps when you're supposed to be lazing on a beach and all :D.

Just wondering what the next steps are now we're married. I know we have to apply for the AoS and all that goes with it, so we can settle down here permenantly. Is there a specific time line to do this within, or can we wait for a few month in order to build up some more money? Do I need to do anything as my K-1 visa is up in a few days to prove we're married, or is that all irrelevant now?

Any advice would be great as I'm not sure if there's anything we need to legally do right off the bat.

Also, when should I send in my SSN details for the AoS with them? I got my SSN about a week after we got back here and they said I need to send my details back once we were married.

Thanks guys!

Fingers crossed, we can go back and finish our honeymoon properly in a couple of weeks time! :star:

1999 - Met on Yahoo chat service

1999 - Fell in love

1999 - 2005 - Continued talking on a daily basis

2004 - T applied for student visa for semester of study in US

Jan 2005 - T flew to States to begin course

March 2005 - T flew to CA. D picked up at airport. Finally met in person!

April 2005 - T flies back to University

April 2005 - D flies out to be with T

May 2005 - Both fly back to CA and begin living together

Sept 2005 - T flies back to UK to resume studies

Oct 2005 - D flies out to UK to be with T - Decide we want to get married!!!

April 2006 - D and T move to Ireland

March 2007 - We download paperwork for I 129-F

April 2007 - Send off forms to Texas Service Center

June 2007 - Still waiting to hear back

July 2007 - Still waiting to hear anything AT ALL! Very angry

7th July 2007 - We called the USCIS and were given our receipt number. We also signed up for the USCIS online service. Learned that our petition arrived on May 15th and last action was May 25th 2007 - Much happier

4th October 2007 - Petition Approved!!!!!!

24 April 2008 - Interview at US Embassy Dublin

17 June 2008 - Arrived back in US together

10th SEPTEMBER 2008 - MARRIED!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
We finally got married two days ago. We're still supposed to be on honeymoon but, due to Mr. Hurricane Ike, we were under manditory evaccuation (seens as we married and were honeymooning in Gavleston), so we had to come home yesterday. Nothing like having to do all the hurricane preps when you're supposed to be lazing on a beach and all :D.

Just wondering what the next steps are now we're married. I know we have to apply for the AoS and all that goes with it, so we can settle down here permenantly. Is there a specific time line to do this within, or can we wait for a few month in order to build up some more money? Do I need to do anything as my K-1 visa is up in a few days to prove we're married, or is that all irrelevant now?

Any advice would be great as I'm not sure if there's anything we need to legally do right off the bat.

Also, when should I send in my SSN details for the AoS with them? I got my SSN about a week after we got back here and they said I need to send my details back once we were married.

Thanks guys!

Fingers crossed, we can go back and finish our honeymoon properly in a couple of weeks time! :star:

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEDDING AND BEST WISHES!!!

i'M HERE at Houston but we're not part of the evacuation..

check this link for your AOS: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=307

yOU can start your AOS as soon as you are okey so you can easily get your EAD and Green card. technically you need to file you AOS before the I-94 expire so you won't get out of status.

save your energy for your honeymoon :dance: ..lol

be safe!!

02-16-06- met online

07-20-07- first visit to phils

07-26-07-engagement

07-28-07- back to US

09-14-07- submitted I-129F

09-25-07- NOA1

10-25-07 -NOA2

11-01-07- My fiance got a letter from NVC that within 2 weeks Manila Consulate will send my Packet

11-20-07- Date of my Packet, actually the real one was earlier but it was sent somewhere, good thing my Fiance arrived to spent Thanksgiving day in Phils and we checked the status in Embassy.

11-23-07- Medical though the exact date was Nov. 29..

12-06-07- Interview

12-16-07- Visa in hand

01-16-98- Attended CFO

01-18-08- Arrived in USA , POE-Guam

03-16-08- Wedding

AOS

04-17-08- Submitted the AOS

04-24-08- NOA

05-13-08- Biometrics

05-27-08- Transferred to California

06-14-08- EAD card received

07-21-08- Date of AOS approval but got the letter July 24

No Interview, No RFE and Additional Vaccination( just used the SLEC medical docs)

07-22-08- Date of Permanent REsident CARd , got it July 29

07-31-08- apply for SSN

08-05-08-SSN delivery

01-12-09- First day of work(Thanks to Marielle and Mario)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks guys!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEDDING AND BEST WISHES!!!

i'M HERE at Houston but we're not part of the evacuation..

check this link for your AOS: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=307

yOU can start your AOS as soon as you are okey so you can easily get your EAD and Green card. technically you need to file you AOS before the I-94 expire so you won't get out of status.

save your energy for your honeymoon :dance: ..lol

be safe!!

There's actually no penalty for such an out of status condition. I generally advise people to avoid more than a 180 day period of out of status but the penalty is more theoretical than actual.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thank you both for the replies.

We're actually just North of Houston, so we're watching the news and waiting for the storm to hit right now. Figers crossed, all in the storm area will be safe and well.

Thanks for the advice and information. It's good to know that it's not such an urgent thing to get done, seens as we do have so many other expenses to cover at the moment from the wedding. We will be sure to get everything done and sent off within 180 days though. Additionally, I was worried because my birth certificate was taken when I entered the US, so I have to send back to the UK for another copy, and that can take upto a month to arrive.

Also, I notice the info on site said we needed to supply the NOA2 from the I-129F petition, which we didn't actually get sent to us in Ireland. I believe it was sent here, to my in-law's place. We need to dig it out. If we can't find it, is it okay to send the notification letter we had with pack 3 from the US Embassy, Dublin?

Thanks again and we'll be saving that energy, that's for sure! :dance:

1999 - Met on Yahoo chat service

1999 - Fell in love

1999 - 2005 - Continued talking on a daily basis

2004 - T applied for student visa for semester of study in US

Jan 2005 - T flew to States to begin course

March 2005 - T flew to CA. D picked up at airport. Finally met in person!

April 2005 - T flies back to University

April 2005 - D flies out to be with T

May 2005 - Both fly back to CA and begin living together

Sept 2005 - T flies back to UK to resume studies

Oct 2005 - D flies out to UK to be with T - Decide we want to get married!!!

April 2006 - D and T move to Ireland

March 2007 - We download paperwork for I 129-F

April 2007 - Send off forms to Texas Service Center

June 2007 - Still waiting to hear back

July 2007 - Still waiting to hear anything AT ALL! Very angry

7th July 2007 - We called the USCIS and were given our receipt number. We also signed up for the USCIS online service. Learned that our petition arrived on May 15th and last action was May 25th 2007 - Much happier

4th October 2007 - Petition Approved!!!!!!

24 April 2008 - Interview at US Embassy Dublin

17 June 2008 - Arrived back in US together

10th SEPTEMBER 2008 - MARRIED!!!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know this is off topic. But the timelines that you guys have at the end of your post, how do you get to that? Is it just a signature, or is there a form thing on here that you can fill out???

Fall 2007- J and I met at work.

Christmas 2007- We started seeing each other a few times a week.

January 9,2008- Made our dating status official, J turned 18.

February 2008- J and I moved in together.

June 1,2008- J proposed!!!!!

September 09,2008- J and I got married at the courthouse.

September 16,2008- HUGE fight with J's parents.

September 22,2008- Finally got J's birth certificate and passport.

November 15, 2008- Ceremony for family and friends.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.