ginger1981

A gentle suggestion

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Could there perhaps be a forum or a "special place" for VJ meetups? I just think it would be nice to have one place to go through rather than possibly sifting through the Off Topic Forum.

Thanks for listening!

wtf-picard.jpg

Something we've used in the past MeetUp.com - it's easy to set up and people can RSVP easily. It's a pretty cool site/tool. I know it's not what you were asking for - but thought ya might find it useful. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Something we've used in the past MeetUp.com - it's easy to set up and people can RSVP easily. It's a pretty cool site/tool. I know it's not what you were asking for - but thought ya might find it useful. :thumbs:

The only thing with meetup is you have to pay. Not that I don't love my fellow VJ'ers but I honestly just don't have the money to cough up the fee for posting meetups.

I was just thinking something along the lines of Meetup's having it's own forum...or even as sub forum (off topics???). Just a place that is quick and easy to find as sometimes posts get lost in the Off Topic forum.

wtf-picard.jpg

No you don't. Well, paying is in the hands of those who run each meetup group. I run a gardening meetup, and I am a member and co organizer of a hiking one and neither charges a dime to its memebers. Don't write it off without having a better look around the site as it's a great way to meet people if you aren't from the US.

Edited to add, of course if the suggestion was that YOU set up a meetup forum for VJ that would cost a few bucks...

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I agree ginger that it would be nice to have thread just for meet-ups. I don't know that it has to be a seperate forum. Maybe just a thread in a little used forum. Like here! :lol:

Whoever is organizing a meetup for VJ people in a geographical area doesn't want to start a group on meetup.com I tried negotiating meetup.com for a book group, and the one organizing does get hit with the fee, and it's either one month, 3 months or a year I think. It used to be free, them became popular, then the site organizers wanted to make money I guess. I wrote them an email, and didn't get a canned repsonse, which was nice, but the reply was quite aggressive I thought. They said, I should pay, and just make anyone attending the event pay me, for having to keep the link on the site up.

My response was just to not join.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone (especially to VJ Administrators),

On a similar note, how about a "Regional Discussion Forum/Area for specific States/Regions in the USA?" Since a similar forum already here on VJ for specific countries, then why not further extend it to the VJ members who are already here in the USA, and would like to meet-up and/or discuss topics with others in their local area? I'm sure it would make everyone feel more welcomed into America knowing that they can further "connect locally online and in-person by meeting other VJers locally within their new home of the USA..."

Hmmm, this makes me wonder: "Anyone here from New York State?"

Ant (A NYS VJer, wondering if there is anyone else out there...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Chnst,

Glad to meet another NYSer like you too. I'm in Western New York State, near the Buffalo, NY area. Which part of NYS do you live in? From your profile's local office, methinks you are in New York City (which is about a 6hr drive away from where I am). Am I correct to assume this, or do you live somewhere else in New York State?

I agree, NYS is "beautiful", indeed! One of these days I'll have to see more of it, as I haven't seen it all yet....

Ant (A NYSer....)

yes me! me! where do you live in this "beautiful" state?
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

On a similar note, how about a "Regional Discussion Forum/Area for specific States/Regions in the USA?" Since a similar forum already here on VJ for specific countries, then why not further extend it to the VJ members who are already here in the USA, and would like to meet-up and/or discuss topics with others in their local area?

I think this is a great idea!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Hi Chnst,

I haven't been to Westchester (where is that?) or the Albany/Lake George Area yet (though I've driven by Albany before). It must be nice there, for you and your husband to live there now and have lived there before.

I went with my husband to NYC for our honeymoon. It was quite the experience to see the Statue of Liberty up close, and read about the immigrant experience from those first immigrants to Ellis Island.

Funny, how the immigrant experience still continues today (in a different way though)....

Ant

Yes you're right. We were in NYC until April and then moved to upper Westchester.... Hubby is from the Albany/Lake George area.

Hi Jundp

Thanks for agreeing with me about this idea. Maybe if enough VJers agree with this idea too, then it will hopefully come true here on VJ someday!

Ant (Wants USA State/Region specific forums here on VJ....)

On a similar note, how about a "Regional Discussion Forum/Area for specific States/Regions in the USA?" Since a similar forum already here on VJ for specific countries, then why not further extend it to the VJ members who are already here in the USA, and would like to meet-up and/or discuss topics with others in their local area?

I think this is a great idea!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I have been thinking of improving the Portal system to improve on many things you guys have suggested. Possibly adding a "meetup" feature would be useful as well..???! I could do something like this if there are enough people interested. It would help simplify meetup coordination.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Hi Chnst,

Glad to meet another NYSer like you too. I'm in Western New York State, near the Buffalo, NY area. Which part of NYS do you live in? From your profile's local office, methinks you are in New York City (which is about a 6hr drive away from where I am). Am I correct to assume this, or do you live somewhere else in New York State?

I agree, NYS is "beautiful", indeed! One of these days I'll have to see more of it, as I haven't seen it all yet....

Ant (A NYSer....)

yes me! me! where do you live in this "beautiful" state?

I also am in the Buffalo NY area and would love to know how many other VJers are in the area. A meetup would be great!

I have been thinking of improving the Portal system to improve on many things you guys have suggested. Possibly adding a "meetup" feature would be useful as well..???! I could do something like this if there are enough people interested. It would help simplify meetup coordination.

I think you'd find it an asset to the community. If by chance it wasn't used enough, it could be removed, but I think it would be a hit!

carlahmsb4.gif