Mike and Adriana

Travel to U.S. while IR-1/CR-1 in Process

24 posts in this topic

cmnb, considering the number of people who require co-sponsors, I think it is foolish not to consider economics. A lot of people want things but can't afford them. And if you can't afford to get turned around, essentially paying for a trip for nothing, you shouldn't consider trying to enter the US while a petition is pending. That's just reality.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Hello All:

Been a while. As you can tell, I've already been (successfully) through the K-3 process with my wife. Although I know quite a bit about the process and the result AOS, I have a question that I really don't know much about, because it did not apply to us.

I have a friend in Colombia (actually a girl who had a lot to do with my wife and I getting married) that needs some information. Here are the facts:

1) She is Colombian.

2) She married an American in July, 2008.

3) She remains in Colombia and he is back in the U.S.

4) They have filed for an IR-1/CR-1 visa.

5) She has a valid tourist visa for the U.S.

6) She has traveled to the U.S. many times (in fact, she met her husband while here). All 3 of her sisters lives in the U.S., two married to Americans and the other a student at a university.

She would like to use her tourist visa to return to the U.S. for a visit - to see her new husband and to visit her sister in Miami. However, she is worried that this MIGHT adversely impact (e.g., delay, etc.) her IR-1/CR-1 visa. She also understands that she will need to return to Colombia for the visa interview.

I've looked at many of the posts to the forum and tried to do a search, but most of the cases I've seen relates to folks who were visiting the U.S. on a tourist visa and married an American while he or she was here....and now wants a visa. I couldn't find a case that is similar to this one....but I swear I've seen something about this before on this board.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this? I'd really like to help my friend, since she did so much to help me and my wife.

Thanks so much,

Hi,

If they have already filed IR-1/CR-1 visa, the tourist visa will be automatically be invalid because of the ongoing petition.. Even if she has travelled to the US many times, if she did process the petition, her tourist will be invalid.

This is based on my experience.. I was granted for a 10 years visit visa when we applied for IR-1/CR-1 visa.. They told me that I can not enter the US till I have my petition approved, they need to terminate my visit visa for IR-1/CR-1 visa. I have waited only for2 months, and my IR-1/CR-1 visa got approved, they put the IR-1/CR-1 visa in the passport.

Hope this helps..

Mike

Edited by Completely
jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi there! I went through the exact same situation with my husband. I was the US citizen-petitioner- and my husband was in Colombia, we filed for CR1. He had a tourist visa well before we met. Since he had to come to the USA for work meetings while our case was in process, we didn't have a choice but to try.. (I must admit we were nervous at first... but nothing out of the ordinary happened)...he came at least 8 times to Houston before our case was completed by NVC. At POE he did not mention at all he was visiting his wife or if he had a wife (I also live in Houston). He just said he was either on tourist purposes or for a meeting. He stayed about 1 week at a time. This is our xperience, I hope this helps and she doesn't have any inconveniences. Thanks.

Meta =)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
There's no law that says she cannot enter the US under the conditions you describe. However it is up to the officer at the point of entry to decide if she can enter or not.

She should have proof that she's going to return home.

- Return ticket

- letter from her job expecting her back on a certain date

- rent or mortgage statements

- utility statements

- auto payments and the like

If an officer questions her, she wants to be able to convince them she's going to leave.

The question is, can she afford to be turned away and to change her return flight? If she can, then go for it. If she cannot, then it is an economic consideration, not an immigration one. You'd think that 3 lawyers would have been able to provide this advice but it is clear that lawyers are fairly clueless.

MsZ hit the nail on the head with her reply. I just returned from a visit to the US to see my wife. I was quite worried that I would not be able to go surprise her for our one year anniversary but I brought significant proof that I was returning to Canada.

What the officer said to me was that there's no rules against visiting your spouse in the US. He then asked me a few questions while checking my paperwork, I believe one was a trick question.

He asked, what if your visa was approved tomorrow what would you do? I replied, that I had a (work) contract up on Canada and I would have to honor the remainder of my contract. I would also have to tie up my affairs in Canada too so that I could move down to the US. So I wouldn't just stay down there. That was my honest answer and I think that's what he needed to hear because had I said something like, "oh then I guess I would just stay there with my wife..." then it would prove that I did not have any real ties to Canada or at least none that would make me want to return.

Whatever the case may be your spouse can visit you. If you have a visa in process they can see that when they pull up her file at the point of entry and that may also help since they know your I-130 has been approved and you're basically on the home stretch. Even if your I-130 has no been approved, the fact that you have a visa in process shows that you both are going through legal process of immigrating. But make sure that your wife shows significant proof that she will return to her home country. Good luck

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hi there! I went through the exact same situation with my husband. I was the US citizen-petitioner- and my husband was in Colombia, we filed for CR1. He had a tourist visa well before we met. Since he had to come to the USA for work meetings while our case was in process, we didn't have a choice but to try.. (I must admit we were nervous at first... but nothing out of the ordinary happened)...he came at least 8 times to Houston before our case was completed by NVC. At POE he did not mention at all he was visiting his wife or if he had a wife (I also live in Houston). He just said he was either on tourist purposes or for a meeting. He stayed about 1 week at a time. This is our xperience, I hope this helps and she doesn't have any inconveniences. Thanks.

My experience so far is similar to MetaVisa.

My wife, as we wait for the IR-1 visa process to move ahead and then terminate, carries a copy of a letter of employment, a copy of her rental agreement, and a copy of the NOA1 and later the NOA2. The purpose of the documentation is to show that she has ties to her home country and that she is doing things legitimately if she is asked.

At the POE when asked why she is here she states that she is either visiting friends (which I am) or going shopping (which she definitely does). She does get questioned on occasion about the frequency of her visits to the US; she only visits 3-4 times a week. :crying: (I know - cry me a river...)

Si me dieran a elegir una vez más_____ Nos casamos: el 01 de Julio 2008

te elegiría sin pensarlo _______________ Una cita con una abogada para validar la info de VJ: el 24 de Agosto, 2008 (Ya ella me cree)

es que no hay nada que pensar_______ El envio del I-130: el 26 de Agosto 2008

que no existe ni motivo ni razón ______ Entregado a las 14:13 PM en el 26 de Agosto, 2008 en CHICAGO, IL. Firmado por V BUSTAMANTE.

para dudarlo ni un segundo ___________ La 1ra Notificación de Acción (NOA1): el 29 de Agosto 2008

porque tú has sido lo mejor ___________ El cheque al USCIS cobró: el 2 de Septiembre, 2008

que todo este corazón ________________ Un toque el 19 de septiembre, 2008

y que entre el cielo y tú

yo me quedo contigo

-Franco deVita

Hey there...

I entered with my tourist visa while my I-130 is pending. The POE officer didn't even asked for my return ticket or my pending I-130.

I don't think it will delay your IR/CR1 visa as mine was approved aproximately 2 months after my arrival. And I am still in the USA all this while. I will return to Malaysia next month for my interview.

Good luck!

did u tell them that u r going to be with ur husband?? did the officer ask u the purpose of ur visit?

My husband was with me. The POE officer has been really nice and polite.

03/21/06- Met online

10/13/06- Met in person (Los Angeles USA) (three weeks)

12/20/06- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur Malaysia) (three weeks)

02/13/07- Met in person (Nagoya Japan) (two days)

06/21/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via PDX), USA) (three weeks)

11/30/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via LAX), USA) (six weeks)

12/12/07- Got married (In a Light House!!!)

01/18/08- I-130 sent

01/21/08- I-130 received at Chicago Lock Box

02/15/08- Check cashed

02/26/08- NOA1 received (Notice date: 2/12/2008)

02/19/08- Touched

04/23/08- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) (one week)

04/30/08- Here I am in USA!!!!

05/19/08- I-130 approved!

05/27/08- NVC received our application and case number assigned

06/02/08- DS-3032 sent & AOS Bill Generated

06/05/08- Paid AOS Bill online

06/16/08- DS-3032 email accepted by NVC

08/28/08- Case completed!

10/21/08- Interview date (Rescheduled by US Embassy- Original date 10/28)-PASSED!!!

10/22/08- Visa in hand!

10/31/08- POE- Seattle, WA

11/12/08- Received SSN in mail!

11/20/08- Got my WA driving license!

I-751

08/03/10- I-751 sent

08/09/10- NOA

08/24/10- Biometrics

10/28/10- Case approved

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So many people visit US while their Immigration file is pending (i.e. I-130). It is legal to visit US and leave the country within time frame stamped on your passport. As long as you're honest and doing what you suppose to do (Visit your friends & family in US and go back to your home country).

Check out this US Embassy in Tokyo FAQ's Link.

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-iv...q.html#thirteen

Can I travel to the U.S. while my application for an immigrant visa is being processed?

If you intend to take up permanent residence in the U.S., you are required to wait until the immigrant or fiancé(e) visa is issued. You cannot reside in the U.S. on a tourist visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program while waiting the issuance of an immigrant or fiancé(e) visa. However, if you wish to make a temporary visit at the end of which you will return to your permanent residence outside the U.S., you may travel on a tourist (B-2) visa, or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if qualified.

If applying for a B-2 visa, you are required to furnish evidence of your residence outside the U.S. to which you intend to return at the end of your temporary stay. Although a pending immigrant or fiancé(e) visa application is not necessarily conclusive evidence of intent to abandon a Japanese residence, it is a factor considered by consular officers reviewing a visa application. If you are unable to convince the consular officer reviewing the application that you do not intend to abandon your residence, you will not be issued a visa.

When traveling to the U.S. either with a visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, you should be sure to carry with you for presentation to an immigration inspector evidence of your residence outside the U.S. If the immigration inspector is not convinced that you are a bona fide visitor for pleasure, you will be denied entry into the United States.

CR-1 Visa filed @ Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Mumbai, India

Marriage : 2007-12-05

USCIS

01-11-2008 I-130 Mailed

09-11-2008 I-130 Approved

NVC:

9-16-08: NVC Received case from USCIS

02-19-09 Left NVC to BOM Consulate

BOM Consulate:

03-05-09 Interview Date

03-05-09 Visa Received (Yes Finally!!!!)

POE

03-09-2009: POE- New York

03-11-2009: Applied for SSN

03-17-2009: Received SSN

03-25-2009: Applied for Driver Licence

03-30-2009: Received Driver Licence

03-23-2009: Received "Welcome Letter"

03-30-2009: Green Card Received

USCIS I-751 Process

12-24-2010 Applied for Condition Removal

xx-xx-2011 NOA receipt date

xx-xx-2011 Biometrics appointment (Fingerprints)

xx-xx-2011 Interview

xx-xx-2011 Approval Notice

xx-xx-2011 Green Card Mailed (Approved for 10 years)

USCIS N-400 Process

12-22-2011 Applied for Citizenship

Timeline
So many people visit US while their Immigration file is pending (i.e. I-130). It is legal to visit US and leave the country within time frame stamped on your passport. As long as you're honest and doing what you suppose to do (Visit your friends & family in US and go back to your home country).

Check out this US Embassy in Tokyo FAQ's Link.

Can I travel to the U.S. while my application for an immigrant visa is being processed?

If you intend to take up permanent residence in the U.S., you are required to wait until the immigrant or fiancé(e) visa is issued. You cannot reside in the U.S. on a tourist visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program while waiting the issuance of an immigrant or fiancé(e) visa. However, if you wish to make a temporary visit at the end of which you will return to your permanent residence outside the U.S., you may travel on a tourist (B-2) visa, or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if qualified.

If applying for a B-2 visa, you are required to furnish evidence of your residence outside the U.S. to which you intend to return at the end of your temporary stay. Although a pending immigrant or fiancé(e) visa application is not necessarily conclusive evidence of intent to abandon a Japanese residence, it is a factor considered by consular officers reviewing a visa application. If you are unable to convince the consular officer reviewing the application that you do not intend to abandon your residence, you will not be issued a visa.

When traveling to the U.S. either with a visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, you should be sure to carry with you for presentation to an immigration inspector evidence of your residence outside the U.S. If the immigration inspector is not convinced that you are a bona fide visitor for pleasure, you will be denied entry into the United States.

thank you for sharing this valuable info from a trusted source. can you please post the link again, i am getting a page cannot be displayed.

USCIS (Vermont Service Center) Journey

Mailed I-130 Packet on 05/27/08

Approved: 12/23/08

NVC Journey

NVC Case Number assigned 01/02/09

Case Completed 01/21/09

End of Visa Journey

New Delhi Embassy Interview 03/17/09

VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Timeline

Tokyo Embassy Link:

or try this

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivspousefaq.html

Edited by waitingforever

CR-1 Visa filed @ Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Mumbai, India

Marriage : 2007-12-05

USCIS

01-11-2008 I-130 Mailed

09-11-2008 I-130 Approved

NVC:

9-16-08: NVC Received case from USCIS

02-19-09 Left NVC to BOM Consulate

BOM Consulate:

03-05-09 Interview Date

03-05-09 Visa Received (Yes Finally!!!!)

POE

03-09-2009: POE- New York

03-11-2009: Applied for SSN

03-17-2009: Received SSN

03-25-2009: Applied for Driver Licence

03-30-2009: Received Driver Licence

03-23-2009: Received "Welcome Letter"

03-30-2009: Green Card Received

USCIS I-751 Process

12-24-2010 Applied for Condition Removal

xx-xx-2011 NOA receipt date

xx-xx-2011 Biometrics appointment (Fingerprints)

xx-xx-2011 Interview

xx-xx-2011 Approval Notice

xx-xx-2011 Green Card Mailed (Approved for 10 years)

USCIS N-400 Process

12-22-2011 Applied for Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.