pd_vriend

Please help with affidavit of Support form!!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I have currently received word that my k-1 application has been approved. I am looking into the next stages of the process and notice that I need a u.s. sponsor. My fiancee has been working for the past 4.5 months and makes just over the required 125% of the poverty line. because she has only been working for such a short time does this mean that i need a co-sponsor? the only other person i'm interested in asking is her father but he's a bit tight-lipped about money. so if i could dodge that bullet i would :) is it worht the risk or not? please help me if you've had smiliar issues or have any wisdom for me.

Thanks!!

Paul

Filed: Timeline
Hello,

I have currently received word that my k-1 application has been approved. I am looking into the next stages of the process and notice that I need a u.s. sponsor. My fiancee has been working for the past 4.5 months and makes just over the required 125% of the poverty line. because she has only been working for such a short time does this mean that i need a co-sponsor? the only other person i'm interested in asking is her father but he's a bit tight-lipped about money. so if i could dodge that bullet i would :) is it worht the risk or not? please help me if you've had smiliar issues or have any wisdom for me.

Thanks!!

Paul

In the end it is up to Consulate Officer that does the interview, so better safe than sorry. I had only worked a few months of 2007 before my interview and was fortunate enough for my brother to co-sponsor with me. It may be worth the risk...I would hate to hear a denial after waiting so long. If you worry about her father's response, explain to him that YOU are the one legally bound, and it is a temporary sponsorship that will change within three months of the petitioners arrival in the US when you file the I-485 (She should be okay to sponsor alone by that time).

Congrats on the approval, and good luck!!

Edited by tok

You can never be too sure. But if you were to have a co-sponsor, you'll have a better chance at approval.

03/21/06- Met online

10/13/06- Met in person (Los Angeles USA) (three weeks)

12/20/06- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur Malaysia) (three weeks)

02/13/07- Met in person (Nagoya Japan) (two days)

06/21/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via PDX), USA) (three weeks)

11/30/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via LAX), USA) (six weeks)

12/12/07- Got married (In a Light House!!!)

01/18/08- I-130 sent

01/21/08- I-130 received at Chicago Lock Box

02/15/08- Check cashed

02/26/08- NOA1 received (Notice date: 2/12/2008)

02/19/08- Touched

04/23/08- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) (one week)

04/30/08- Here I am in USA!!!!

05/19/08- I-130 approved!

05/27/08- NVC received our application and case number assigned

06/02/08- DS-3032 sent & AOS Bill Generated

06/05/08- Paid AOS Bill online

06/16/08- DS-3032 email accepted by NVC

08/28/08- Case completed!

10/21/08- Interview date (Rescheduled by US Embassy- Original date 10/28)-PASSED!!!

10/22/08- Visa in hand!

10/31/08- POE- Seattle, WA

11/12/08- Received SSN in mail!

11/20/08- Got my WA driving license!

I-751

08/03/10- I-751 sent

08/09/10- NOA

08/24/10- Biometrics

10/28/10- Case approved

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

she makes over the amount needed, dont have prior records so it is on the eyes of the USE in Manilla. Enjoy... they are rejects from the most burocratic hemps of ####### I ever met, if not for a nice filipina man my wife would be waiting for me to produce 2 years of appropriate additional income. Use assets even though that embassy dont look at them, co-sponsors are also frowned upon. If you cant fend your way financially through this and smoke/mirrors dont work how can you believe that someone can seriously be sponsored anyways??? This is what the USE is looking at. Either way it will be denied unless the USC is present for a rebuttal of the denial. Read my experience, hope it helps and Good luck to you both!!!!!

I-129F mailed 12-17-2007

Received at CSC 12-18-2007

NOA1 December 19 2007

NOA2 April 30 2008

NVC sent packet to Manila May 12 2008

Interview set for June 18

Visa Denial, Contested & Approved

PDOS June 23

Flight to USA June 26

Arrival at DTW Visa accepted

Welcome to America!!!

Married 07/18/2008

Applied SS 07/22/09

Applied AOS around same time

Very happily married

EAD received Sept.

AP received Sept

No RFE's ...??

AOS Appointment 04-02-2009

AOS approved! Green card to be sent 3-6 weeks

Filed: Other Timeline
she makes over the amount needed, dont have prior records so it is on the eyes of the USE in Manilla. Enjoy... they are rejects from the most burocratic hemps of ####### I ever met, if not for a nice filipina man my wife would be waiting for me to produce 2 years of appropriate additional income. Use assets even though that embassy dont look at them, co-sponsors are also frowned upon. If you cant fend your way financially through this and smoke/mirrors dont work how can you believe that someone can seriously be sponsored anyways??? This is what the USE is looking at. Either way it will be denied unless the USC is present for a rebuttal of the denial. Read my experience, hope it helps and Good luck to you both!!!!!

What the consulate does in Manila had little or nothing to do with what the consulates in Canada do.

If your fiance earns 100% of the poverty level, her affidavit will pass in Canada.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

What the consulate does in Manila had little or nothing to do with what the consulates in Canada do.

If your fiance earns 100% of the poverty level, her affidavit will pass in Canada.

First...what was her income last year? They will want to see AT LEAST 2007 tax return/W2. Also, what do you do? We just finished the interview and this couple that went before us took less than 3 minutes. The sponsor told me he was worried about his income level. He said he was below the poverty level because he is retired and all he uses for income is the rent from his rental properties, but he said they were paid for. Here's the kicker...when his fiancee came out of the interview in just a little over 2 minutes, she said she was asked the ususal where did you meet, etc, etc. then she was asked how many properties her fiance has, then the CO said oh, you're a chemical engineer, then everything is fine. That was it. So, I learned that if the person being sponsored has something to offer (e.g., assets or the ability to get a skilled job) IT MORE THAN LIKELY WILL BE CONSIDERED.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

First...what was her income last year? They will want to see AT LEAST 2007 tax return/W2. Also, what do you do? We just finished the interview and this couple that went before us took less than 3 minutes. The sponsor told me he was worried about his income level. He said he was below the poverty level because he is retired and all he uses for income is the rent from his rental properties, but he said they were paid for. Here's the kicker...when his fiancee came out of the interview in just a little over 2 minutes, she said she was asked the ususal where did you meet, etc, etc. then she was asked how many properties her fiance has, then the CO said oh, you're a chemical engineer, then everything is fine. That was it. So, I learned that if the person being sponsored has something to offer (e.g., assets or the ability to get a skilled job) IT MORE THAN LIKELY WILL BE CONSIDERED.

My fiancee makes $11/hour. approximately $17,700/annually after taxes. she has only been working since april. before that her and i were volunteers for a missions organization. we lived off of donations from friends/families approximately $6,000/annually. She also has $12,000 in a retirement fund but not any significant savings.

Thanks for the help.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Listen to rebeccajo... Canada is a completely different experience than is the Philipines or any other higher fraud Embassy.

Yes, they need your last years tax return but the guidelines are based on your income NOW. Also, the I134 has no real rules (look for Yu and Dan's quote regarding this), some Embassy's follow the guidelines for the I864 (filed at AOS) because you will need to meet them at that point.

Questions about the process in Canada are best answered in the Canadian Regional Thread. ;)

timeline.jpg

If Dad doesn't want to reveal his personal financial details to the couple, he can mail his support information straight to the consulate, marking it with the appropriate names and case number. He doesn't have to list all of his assets if his basic income meets the requirments. Or he can put it all in a sealed envelope marked to be opened by consulate official only. Then if fiance's support is not enough to gain approval at the interview, Dad's info can be pulled out and presented as a back-up plan. Dad may be more willing to sponsor if he can maintain his financial privacy.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.