Pak1Monster

K-1 Visa Requirements / K-3 Visa Requirements:

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Affidavit of Support

K-1 Visa requirements and K-3 Visa requirements are essentially, Immigration officials want to ensure that the immigrant spouse or fiancé will not become a public charge (welfare recipient) once he or she enters the United States

When bringing a spouse or fiancé from Thailand to live permanently in the U.S, a petitioner must accept legal responsibility for financially supporting the spouse or fiancé. The petitioner accepts this responsibility and becomes a K-1 or K-3 sponsor by completing and signing a document called an Affidavit of Support.

K-1 Visa Requirements / K-3 Visa Requirements:

Income Requirement

Part of the K-1 Visa requirements and the K-3 Visa requirements is to ensure that the petitioner is able to meet the income eligibility requirement in the Affidavit of Support he or she must show that his/her income is 125% of the poverty line. The chart below shows the current poverty guidelines for 2007 along with the calculation necessary to determine if a petitioner’s income meets the 125% requirement. (Note: Active Duty military personnel need only show an income that meets the poverty guidelines level).

K-3 Visa & K-1 Visa Requirements

Petitioner for a K-1 Visa who does not meet the K-1 Visa Income Requirement

K-1 visa requirements and K-3 visa requirements does not have a hard and fast formula for qualifying a person as a sponsor. The most weight will be placed on income from current employment and the total unadjusted income shown on the three most recent tax returns. In most cases, a sponsor who is employed and can demonstrate the ability to earn income at or above 125% of the poverty line for the number of persons who will be supported will be found eligible. Immigration will look at the “whole picture” with regard to financial status if a petitioner does not have sufficient income to meet the K-1 visa requirements. USCIS will look at assets such as stocks, bonds, bank account balances, real estate, and any businesses owned by the petitioner.

Assets such as these are only counted at 1/5th of their current market value after subtraction of any debt, mortgages or liens.

Calculating Assets and Income for Thai K-1 Visa Requirements or K-3 Visa Requirements

Let’s say a petitioner is single and makes $11,500 per year. He owns a home worth $100,000 with an outstanding mortgage in the amount of $50,000. He also has a bank balance of $5,000. The USCIS will likely compute this situation as follows for the K-3 Visa and K-1 Visa requirement:

. $100,000-$50,000=$50,000/5=$10,000

. $5,000/5=$1,000

. $3,000+1,000=$11,000

We now take this $11,000 and add it to petitioner’s yearly income of $11,500. $11,500+$11,000= $22,500

It is clear that this amount ($22,500) exceeds 125% of the 2007 poverty guidelines ($17,112.50) even though petitioner’s yearly income does not meet the necessary standard for supporting two people at 125% of the poverty guidelines.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Is there a question in there? :huh:

Ever heard of a thing called Information?

this info is covered in the guides.......

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

good day to everyone.. i just want to ask regarding this affidadavit of support and or sponsor for the petitioner. i think i have read this topic and just cant locate it anymore on this site. pls let me know to where that topic is and so i can take a look and read that forum.. i just want to have info about petitioner's sponsor for filing a K1-visa.. i big thanks for your help. just needed it. thanks and god bless

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

good day to everyone.. i just want to ask regarding this affidadavit of support and or sponsor for the petitioner. i think i have read this topic and just cant locate it anymore on this site. pls let me know to where that topic is and so i can take a look and read that forum.. i just want to have info about petitioner's sponsor for filing a K1-visa.. i big thanks for your help. just needed it. thanks and god bless

...which (unfortunately) a lot of VJ members never bother to consult.

(P1M's idea may have been to distill it down to easier read--though dubious impact).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.