Nasturtium

Happy Saturday! It's Caturday!

94 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I was reading about Labor Day (see below) and for some reason the argument on who suggested the holiday first..made me want to say:

"PoetAto, powtaatoe, toemAto, toemaatoe" (my sad attempt at phoentic spelling..lol)

I NEED SLEEP...I'm getting silly! :blush:

Labor Day: How it Came About; What it Means

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

Founder of Labor Day

More than 100 years after the first Labor Day observance, there is still some doubt as to who first proposed the holiday for workers.

Some records show that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, was first in suggesting a day to honor those "who from rude nature have delved and carved all the grandeur we behold."

But Peter McGuire's place in Labor Day history has not gone unchallenged. Many believe that Matthew Maguire, a machinist, not Peter McGuire, founded the holiday. Recent research seems to support the contention that Matthew Maguire, later the secretary of Local 344 of the International Association of Machinists in Paterson, N.J., proposed the holiday in 1882 while serving as secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York. What is clear is that the Central Labor Union adopted a Labor Day proposal and appointed a committee to plan a demonstration and picnic.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I was reading about Labor Day (see below) and for some reason the argument on who suggested the holiday first..made me want to say:

"PoetAto, powtaatoe, toemAto, toemaatoe" (my sad attempt at phoentic spelling..lol)

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

Founder of Labor Day

More than 100 years after the first Labor Day observance, there is still some doubt as to who first proposed the holiday for workers.

Some records show that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, was first in suggesting a day to honor those "who from rude nature have delved and carved all the grandeur we behold."

But Peter McGuire's place in Labor Day history has not gone unchallenged. Many believe that Matthew Maguire, a machinist, not Peter McGuire, founded the holiday. Recent research seems to support the contention that Matthew Maguire, later the secretary of Local 344 of the International Association of Machinists in Paterson, N.J., proposed the holiday in 1882 while serving as secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York. What is clear is that the Central Labor Union adopted a Labor Day proposal and appointed a committee to plan a demonstration and picnic.

I don't get it off for any special reason other than I normally have Mondays off :( I want a 3 day weekend!

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Camping on the beach sounds like fun. I am not sure i could get Ammar to do it though. He's not a big nature person.

ETA: so if they have a GC, can they jsut pass into MX with it or do they need their passport, etc?

In this area 100 miles below the border its considered the "Free Zone" ... I have not had issues ever with friends that have green cards only. Now with all the changes (US Citz needing passports for MX n Canada) I'd double check that...We have not been there since that time.

Founder of Labor Day

I don't get it off for any special reason other than I normally have Mondays off :( I want a 3 day weekend!

Eww! KICKS COMPANY for you... :( They don't give you an extra floater since its your day off? We typically give our workers who are scheduled off a holiday the business day before or after the holiday, as their holiday. GAWD my company is to nice. LOL

Edited by Nawal

Timeline
Eww! KICKS COMPANY for you... :( They don't give you an extra floater since its your day off? We typically give our workers who are scheduled off a holiday the business day before or after the holiday, as their holiday. GAWD my company is to nice. LOL

No, but I do get paid for it anyway :)

That works too! :thumbs:

This article just about covers my evening last night, my hellish commute this morning and the weekend to come according to the weather forcast! :blink:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/200...mfollo0830.html

" target="_blank">

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good morning MENA

have a nice blessed weekend all (F)

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Timeline

This article just about covers my evening last night, my hellish commute this morning and the weekend to come according to the weather forcast! :blink:

<a href="http://

<a%20href="http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/08/29/20080829stormfollo0830.html"%20target="_blank">http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/200...mfollo0830.html</a>

" target="_blank">

</a>

:( I miss the desert! I miss Palo verdes and giant prickly pears and olive trees! I miss my succulents and my cacti! I miss my aloes and my agaves! Wanna trade?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

G'morning all. Well, today starts the *real* mayhem before the storm. The last 3-4 days have just been practice mayhem. People are storming the grocery stores, clearing the shelves, waiting in lines at Home Depot/Lowes for generators. The traffic will become hellish today b/c of evacuations and a little thing they call "contra-flow" on the interstates. If you're not familiar w/ contra-flow, it's making both directions of interstate flow in only one direction - OUT of town. To make matters worse, today is also the first college (LSU) football game of the season and these Tiger fans are serious about their football team. In order to not cause a total cluster fk, they've moved the game from 4pm to 10am. Don't even think about getting anywhere near the campus before or after the game.... you just can't get anywhere quick. :wacko:

So.... I'm running my errands early, then I'm staying my butt home and not leaving unless I have to! Gustav is "scheduled" to make landfall around the LA Gulf Coast in the wee hours Mon night/Tues morning. Until then, people act like they've lost their minds. :blink:

Oh yea, they've brought in an extra 1500 National Guardsmen to New Orleans already.

funny-pictures-you-have-four-seconds-to-feed-the-cat.jpg

funny-pictures-cat-will-not-stop-for-you.jpg

NOT EVEN THE NATIONAL GUARD!

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

<a href="http://

<a%20href="http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/08/29/20080829stormfollo0830.html"%20target="_blank">http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/200...mfollo0830.html</a>

" target="_blank">

</a>

:( I miss the desert! I miss Palo verdes and giant prickly pears and olive trees! I miss my succulents and my cacti! I miss my aloes and my agaves! Wanna trade?

Yes! But only if you take the scorpions n black widows too. :P

G'morning all. Well, today starts the *real* mayhem before the storm. The last 3-4 days have just been practice mayhem. People are storming the grocery stores, clearing the shelves, waiting in lines at Home Depot/Lowes for generators. The traffic will become hellish today b/c of evacuations and a little thing they call "contra-flow" on the interstates. If you're not familiar w/ contra-flow, it's making both directions of interstate flow in only one direction - OUT of town. To make matters worse, today is also the first college (LSU) football game of the season and these Tiger fans are serious about their football team. In order to not cause a total cluster fk, they've moved the game from 4pm to 10am. Don't even think about getting anywhere near the campus before or after the game.... you just can't get anywhere quick. :wacko:

So.... I'm running my errands early, then I'm staying my butt home and not leaving unless I have to! Gustav is "scheduled" to make landfall around the LA Gulf Coast in the wee hours Mon night/Tues morning. Until then, people act like they've lost their minds. :blink:

Oh yea, they've brought in an extra 1500 National Guardsmen to New Orleans already.

funny-pictures-you-have-four-seconds-to-feed-the-cat.jpg

funny-pictures-cat-will-not-stop-for-you.jpg

NOT EVEN THE NATIONAL GUARD!

Holy Poop! *clicks heels* "There is no place like Phoenix, there is no place like Phoenix". I will stop

complaining. :P

In all seriousness, your in my prayers and hopefully that storm is nothing but an annoying cloud by the time it arrives. (F)

Timeline
Yes! But only if you take the scorpions n black widows too. :P

They don't bother me. We have black widows and recluses and scorpions here as well. We had a ton of BW in NV, but it never bothered me :)

Happy Saturday! What a beautiful weekend it will be too!!

Last night, the hubby and I went and saw Step Brothers-it was funny! (you have to appreciate dumb humor to enjoy it) we have so much to do and i dont know if we'll be able to fit it all in these 3 days!

Have you ever found scorpions and black widows in your home??? how scary that would be! i'm such a big baby when it comes to these things.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.