Shonenknife

Expired Green Card and I-797

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

My wife's Japanese, and we live in Richmond, Va. We're traveling to Seattle next month, and we wanted to go up to Vancouver, BC for a day. She is an LPR with a Green Card that expired in January, but we have an I-797 that declares her status has been extended for a year. She also has a Japanese passport that's still valid.

My main question is, will the expired green card and I-797 get us into Canada, but most importantly, will she be able to get back in??? I found another post that pretty much said she should have no problem getting into Canada, but nobody had any insight on getting back into the states. I guess everyone's trying to get out and we're the only schmucks trying to get in. :P

Also, while I'm at it, we had our appointment to remove the conditional status where we do our biometrics and what-not back in January. It's August now. Does it usually take this long to get back to us? I checked our case number on uscis.gov and it said our case was "still pending." Is this normal or is it safe to assume our application fell between the seats, so to speak?

Thanks all!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I responded to your post on the other thread about entering Canada. You shouldn't have any problems travelling with the expired green card and extension letter. Just present those along with her Japanese passport when returning to the US and she will be admitted.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137789

Your I-751 was filed at VSC. VSC is notoriously slow at processing Removal of Condition applications. They are currently working on applications submitted last September and October so no, you haven't fallen through the cracks - you are still in line. Unfortunately, for VSC, that is normal.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Shonenknife,

Likewise, I posted a similar question and got answers to this message thread, about travelling to Canada with an expired green card and an extension letter. For more info, see the following: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=144829&hl=

From what I gathered from that thread, there shouldn't be any problems for anyone travelling to Canada with an expired green card and an extension letter, so therefore, your wife shouldn't have any problems travelling with those immigration documents. Funny though, there doesn't seem to be many problems going into Canada, as they are pretty relaxed border-wise there. It's the coming back to the USA that causes more problems, really, as the border guards are more stricter here.

Hope this helps.

Have fun and enjoy your trip back to Canada. Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey too.

And yes, from what I've read, the VSC is slow still too in approving the I-751s. Welcome to "waiting on the VSC boat", just like the rest of us!

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC boat...)

My wife's Japanese, and we live in Richmond, Va. We're traveling to Seattle next month, and we wanted to go up to Vancouver, BC for a day. She is an LPR with a Green Card that expired in January, but we have an I-797 that declares her status has been extended for a year. She also has a Japanese passport that's still valid.

My main question is, will the expired green card and I-797 get us into Canada, but most importantly, will she be able to get back in??? I found another post that pretty much said she should have no problem getting into Canada, but nobody had any insight on getting back into the states. I guess everyone's trying to get out and we're the only schmucks trying to get in. :P

Also, while I'm at it, we had our appointment to remove the conditional status where we do our biometrics and what-not back in January. It's August now. Does it usually take this long to get back to us? I checked our case number on uscis.gov and it said our case was "still pending." Is this normal or is it safe to assume our application fell between the seats, so to speak?

Thanks all!!!

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I don't think you will have problems. I traveled to Mexico two weeks ago with the same documents (GC also expired in January 08). On top of it I had a temporary Polish passport (this worried me a little too because this passport looks like kids made it at home ec class). I have different last names in passport and my green card. The officer at re-entry checked my green card and extension letter, it lasted one minute.

Good luck !!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.