spencer2

Travelled to canada on expired green card with Extension

15 posts in this topic

Friends

A couple of weeks ago i asked this question . I wanted to know if any non-canadians have travelled to canada with expired GC and extension letter, as they wait for their i751 approval? I am to travel this weekend by air would any of u have travelled please weigh in and advise how your experiences were? . Your every response would help, i received some answers last time but it apeared none of the respondents had first hand info on this or knew anyone who had such a situation, please do advise.I patiently wait for your responses.

Edited by spencer2

Filed: Timeline
Friends

A couple of weeks ago i asked this question . I wanted to know if any non-canadians have travelled to canada with expired GC and extension letter, as they wait for their i751 approval? I am to travel this weekend by air would any of u have travelled please weigh in and advise how your experiences were? . Your every response would help, i received some answers last time but it apeared none of the respondents had first hand info on this or knew anyone who had such a situation, please do advise.I patiently wait for your responses.

You would be way better if you call the Embassy or the consulate directly. I had to do the same thing for Mexico, and I called and they told me that I needed the stamp because their immigration agents must of the time can't read what the letters says and the stamp is widely recognizable.

Hope it helps.

You would be way better if you call the Embassy or the consulate directly. I had to do the same thing for Mexico, and I called and they told me that I needed the stamp because their immigration agents must of the time can't read what the letters says and the stamp is widely recognizable.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Cher1980 and i wish you luck in yo situation.This below was the response i got from canadian officials in boston should but just wanted to see if anyone had a recent experience.

Dear spencer
[/size]
Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website states that "persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence" do not require a visa in order to enter Canada. A valid I-551 stamp in your passport is usually accepted in lieu of a green card. As long as the NOA I797-C is an official document providing proof of your permanent residency status in the USA and is accompanied by your expired green card, you should not require a visa to enter Canada. However, the ultimate decision will be made by the Canada Border Services agent at the border.
Regards,
Alex
Alexandra Sweeney
Administrative and Consular Assistant
Consulate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Friends

Hope it helps.

I the USC, traveled with my wife to Venezuela and her card was expired with the one year extension, no problems leaving, just wanted to see her passport, Venezuelan of course. Only time she had to show her expired green card and one year extension was coming back into the good old USA. No problem there either as the immigration officer said good, at least you knew to apply for the I-751. Many don't and try to come back in. That is what the man said. Did ask him why it takes so long to get the ten year card, he said he could not answer that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should have no problems. You have received the official word from the Consulate. The Caveat is included because it is always the ultimate decision of the border guards EVERY time a non-Canadian crosses the border - not just in your situation. The border guard can deny you entry with a visa or without a visa, with a US passport or any other passport, with a green card or with the letter. The likelihood of them doing so, however, is small unless there is something that you do at the border to annoy them or make them suspicious. Bring a copy of the response from the Consulate with you along with the NOA, the expired greencard and the current passport and you really should have no problems even if you are pulled into a secondary inspection. You should not need the I-551 stamp going to/from Canada.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Here is the specific information that states what is required:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

taken from the above site: (bottom of the page)

Visitor Visa Exemptions:

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include: persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;"

The NOA Extension letter falls under the bolded section.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline

I really haven't been up to Canada since 9/11 but was no different than driving to Chicago, only a lot closer and a lot safer. I should look up an old friend, he married a Canadian, but don't recall any talk about immigration. A lot of back roads between Minnesota and Canada, but stuck with the main highway where just a shack existed for border control, guard never even looked at us, just asked if we were carrying alcohol, firearms, pets, or plants, just said no. Are all these back roads monitored now?

Found it strange as a USC could fly into Colombia or Venezuela without a visa, but they sure need a visa to come here and they are not easy to get. And it was very easy for us to go down there, but coming back, the DHS wanted to play with my wife's and my underwear in all of our luggage. Use to fly into Canada with my company all the time, with had a huge customer base up there, but gather you need a passport now and soon for even driving. So what has changed and are we any safer?

Filed: Timeline

I guess that the key will be in the immigration officer at the Canadian border then. I guess the most that can happen is that you get in another inspection...that is another line and another officer will ask you other questions and probably let you go.

The first time I went to Canada, I went with my ex, no problems. The second time, still married, I went alone and I got stop with a valid green card for over a year. The guy at the second inspection asked me why I was traveling alone (which wonder in what century we live in...) and asked where he works and when I said, he is in the Army...the guy start talking to me that his son too and blah blah...he let me go. I am telling you, one day I will start doing a book.

Nick, Colombia and Venezuela can do the same thing as Brazil, if they don't is their choice. And for sure they will be more and more difficult to get, especially for Venezuelan. I have several friends from there and even lately one got USC and got problems to return to Venezuela. I was talking with a friend from India who is a USC the other day and I was saying that cultural things has an effect if you apply for a visa. It's normal in our countries that the children stay even until adulthood or even still working in their parent's home. Is not all free, but it's something normal...until you decided to move or get married. Here is the contrary. So if you are 24 yr old, worker but still live with your parents you must probably won't own a home, your parents could buy you a car so you don't have a car loan and the utilities will be at your parent's name. With that, how you can demostrate that you have "strong financial ties"?

Timeline
I guess that the key will be in the immigration officer at the Canadian border then. I guess the most that can happen is that you get in another inspection...that is another line and another officer will ask you other questions and probably let you go.

The first time I went to Canada, I went with my ex, no problems. The second time, still married, I went alone and I got stop with a valid green card for over a year. The guy at the second inspection asked me why I was traveling alone (which wonder in what century we live in...) and asked where he works and when I said, he is in the Army...the guy start talking to me that his son too and blah blah...he let me go. I am telling you, one day I will start doing a book.

Nick, Colombia and Venezuela can do the same thing as Brazil, if they don't is their choice. And for sure they will be more and more difficult to get, especially for Venezuelan. I have several friends from there and even lately one got USC and got problems to return to Venezuela. I was talking with a friend from India who is a USC the other day and I was saying that cultural things has an effect if you apply for a visa. It's normal in our countries that the children stay even until adulthood or even still working in their parent's home. Is not all free, but it's something normal...until you decided to move or get married. Here is the contrary. So if you are 24 yr old, worker but still live with your parents you must probably won't own a home, your parents could buy you a car so you don't have a car loan and the utilities will be at your parent's name. With that, how you can demostrate that you have "strong financial ties"?

My step son can't get a visa for that reason to come here for a visit. My step daughter just went down to Venezuela, no problems, it's her coming back that has me concerned. Several of my wife's friends went down and had problems coming back, given a hard time or a four hour interrogation by out DHS. What is it with these idiots giving women such a difficult time? Sounds like you had your share of this nonsense as well.

I did go down with my wife and she did not have problems coming back, but she was with me. I am not sure what I would have done if they pulled her aside, but been trained by this country to kill for our freedom and isn't this our freedom? But they still had to play with our underwear, I was there and telling them to be damned careful with our stuff, they were. Did you find what you were looking for?

My wife, daughter, and my wife's friends are very good looking women, bet you are too. Those seem to be the targets for these crazy inspectors, maybe a time to write to my senator, again.

I am the USC, and I traveled back and forth from US to Canada via flying to Detroit and driving over thru Windsor to see my husband.

I have to say I never had ANY problems going into Canada, all my issues were when I was coming back to my homeland. Passport in hand, driving a US rental car, I was questioned more and had more uncomfortable situations coming back to US.

When I drove to Canada to move there, didn't even have my Cdn Residency complete, car full of stuff (even my cat) and they were very polite and let me right thru. Didn't even look at the Cat's papers...

Edited by Married_my_love

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the USC, and I traveled back and forth from US to Canada via flying to Detroit and driving over thru Windsor to see my husband.

I have to say I never had ANY problems going into Canada, all my issues were when I was coming back to my homeland. Passport in hand, driving a US rental car, I was questioned more and had more uncomfortable situations coming back to US.

When I drove to Canada to move there, didn't even have my Cdn Residency complete, car full of stuff (even my cat) and they were very polite and let me right thru. Didn't even look at the Cat's papers...

I thought i should share this experience. I went ahead and flew to canada on my expired card and NOA letter, the immigration at the canadian side understood very well what that meant he stamped my passport with a six months stay and within five minutes i was on my way into canada without a hassle. On my way back 2 weeks later today i gave the the U.S border patrol officer at halifax my card, letter and passport, first thing he asked was what was the letter for, i told him it was the extension, he read it over and over again then proceded to type in My Alien number in the computer and he said i was good to go. My trip was smooth on either side i did not spend more than five minutes at POE.

Timeline

Very good. While we know how things are supposed to work, it is always reassuring when we learn that they do work they way they are supposed to. Thanks for the update.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Spencer2,

I was wondering the same question too about travelling to Canada with an expired green card and an extension letter, and similarly asked about it here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2116733

Thanks for posting about your experience, which was helpful to me too. I'm glad to see that it worked out well for you when you travelled across the border to Canada.

Ant

Friends

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline
You should have no problems. You have received the official word from the Consulate. The Caveat is included because it is always the ultimate decision of the border guards EVERY time a non-Canadian crosses the border - not just in your situation. The border guard can deny you entry with a visa or without a visa, with a US passport or any other passport, with a green card or with the letter. The likelihood of them doing so, however, is small unless there is something that you do at the border to annoy them or make them suspicious. Bring a copy of the response from the Consulate with you along with the NOA, the expired greencard and the current passport and you really should have no problems even if you are pulled into a secondary inspection. You should not need the I-551 stamp going to/from Canada.

So, how about getting back into the states? If you can get into canada, will they let you back into the states with a green card and the extension letter? My wife's japanese, has an expired green card and an extention letter, as well as her Japanese passport that's still valid. Will she have any problems?

Timeline

Shonenknife asked:

So, how about getting back into the states? If you can get into canada, will they let you back into the states with a green card and the extension letter? My wife's japanese, has an expired green card and an extention letter, as well as her Japanese passport that's still valid. Will she have any problems?

She should not have any problems. She is legally authorized by the US to live in the US and proof of that is her expired greencard PLUS the extension letter. When you return to the border and they ask for identification she should hand over her passport along with her greencard and her extension letter. You should hand over your proof of US citizenship (passport or birth certificate). They will ask you how long you were gone, where you were and if you are bringing back anything. US border authorities are very familiar with the extension letter. There may be a short delay as they punch in her A number into the computer for back up verification, which will show she is legally entitled to live in the country. They may not even do that and just welcome you back. Enjoy your visit to Canada.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.