william_wallace

Suit or casual wear

38 posts in this topic

For what it's worth the ConOff will only be able to see you from the chest up. :)

Excellent. I will wear a shirt and tie and Bermuda shorts. lol

beach_1_001.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
For what it's worth the ConOff will only be able to see you from the chest up. :)

Excellent. I will wear a shirt and tie and Bermuda shorts. lol

I give up ;):bonk: !!

2008-05-06 I-129F sent

2008-05-10 Delivered to NVC 3:12pm

2008-05-20 NOA1

2008-05-23 Touched

2008-06-26 Touched

2008-06-27 Touched

2008-09-07 NOA2

2008-09-11 Received at NVC

2008-09-12 Left NVC

2008-09-18 Consulate received

2008-09-25 Pkt3 Received

2008-09-28 Pkt3 Returned

2008-09-30 Pkt4 Received

2008-10-09 Interview

2008-10-13 Medical

2008-10-24 Visa Received

2008-10-30 Fying home to my Jonathan

Smart casual. Leave the suit at home.

Absolutely disagree - what happened to standards???

Well, my now husband wore smart casual for his embassy interview. We've now been married more than 6 months, so I don't think his outfit made a whit of difference in whether or not the visa was granted.

They don't care what you wear. You spend about 5 minutes total speaking to anyone. Wear what you feel comfortable wearing!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Smart casual. Leave the suit at home.

Absolutely disagree - what happened to standards???

Well, my now husband wore smart casual for his embassy interview. We've now been married more than 6 months, so I don't think his outfit made a whit of difference in whether or not the visa was granted.

They don't care what you wear. You spend about 5 minutes total speaking to anyone. Wear what you feel comfortable wearing!

Precisely. Though, I do belive wearing a suit would be a bit over the top.

I'll echo the other voices: wear what you feel comfortable in. My husband wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt and nobody batted an eye. There were people in the waiting room who WERE dressed like pikeys though... I remember vividly one young woman with a thong peeking out over her waistband. Nice.

How about white trackies, white trainers, several gold chains?

nedGal3.jpg

There you go, ginger, making me feel a wave of nostalgia for North London. :cry:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'll echo the other voices: wear what you feel comfortable in. My husband wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt and nobody batted an eye. There were people in the waiting room who WERE dressed like pikeys though... I remember vividly one young woman with a thong peeking out over her waistband. Nice.

How about white trackies, white trainers, several gold chains?

nedGal3.jpg

There you go, ginger, making me feel a wave of nostalgia for North London. :cry:

LOL...I got this pic from the Glasgow Survival Guide. However it seems that ned/chav style is pretty universal!

I actually have a story posted on that website under visitor experiences...it is the one about the "waving neds." :rofl:

wtf-picard.jpg

I'm confused. I thought this was your second K-1, William. Do you not already have Embassy interview experience?

I never got as far as the interview. That relationship went t1ts up.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Bit late to the discussion, but having sat in the embassy for about 3 hours, I saw every range of clothing imaginable. There were office types there, perhaps for work visas, done up in classy suits. There were people somewhere in the middle, and then there were others completely relaxed in a t-shirt and jeans.

I reckon I'd go with whatever is comfortable, as has been mentioned :)

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The majority of people in the embassy are not K1 or K3 applicants anyway, so if you see a suit it's probably because they're taking a couple of hours off from their office job to sort out their non-immigrant visa. From my experience, the suits were the minority.

Smart casual is the best way to go. You'll be queuing or sitting for a long time and when you get out you'll probably need a drink or two. The CO cares only about the quality of information you provide.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Actually, the US embassy in London is surprisingly unimpressive and informal. The CO's themselves, as I recall, weren't wearing formal attire. Perhaps this policy is intended to make the experience less daunting for visitors.

Bit late to the discussion, but having sat in the embassy for about 3 hours, I saw every range of clothing imaginable. There were office types there, perhaps for work visas, done up in classy suits. There were people somewhere in the middle, and then there were others completely relaxed in a t-shirt and jeans.

I reckon I'd go with whatever is comfortable, as has been mentioned :)

Stu

I'm sure I will have a few more than 2 lol.

Looks like it's casual wear then. Thanks for all the replies folks.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I'm confused. I thought this was your second K-1, William. Do you not already have Embassy interview experience?

I never got as far as the interview. That relationship went t1ts up.

Ohhhh, okay. That was quite confusing. :lol: I saw every manner of dress while we were there. From very informal to business formal. Personally, I always dress in whichever manner I'm going to feel most comfortable. For something as important as the interview, we went business casual. That's what we were the most comfortable with.

iagree.gif

It was hot in there at the end of July with big fans blowing. At least two walls are glass windows so I guess it was hard to keep cool. I had to use the I-134 as a fan. I thought it was going to look alot nicer than it did....big noisy rectangular room with hard floors, and blue plastic stacking chairs, and over 100 people crammed in. I was envisioning carpet, leather and wood chairs, sparsely spaced in little groupings and maybe 20 people at the most. :rofl: Guess that's my bank lobby I was seeing in my mind.

I vote for the kilt. It will give people something to stare at or try to look up while they're so bored waiting. :P

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.