BenAndNida

Please help: I-130 approved super-fast! But what about my I-129F?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Real quick story:

USCIS (CSC) received my I-130 around July 1.

USCIS (CSC) received my I-129F around August 1.

On August 18, USCIS sends me a notice saying that my I-130 has been approved.

That is great, but I really want a K-3 visa, not a CR-1 visa! (I repeatedly stressed that in both of my application packets.)

Notice letter says that my petition has been forwarded on to the NVC.

(Last touched date for my I-129F is listed as August 3.)

What can/should I do?

Thanks,

Ben

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Real quick story:

USCIS (CSC) received my I-130 around July 1.

USCIS (CSC) received my I-129F around August 1.

On August 18, USCIS sends me a notice saying that my I-130 has been approved.

That is great, but I really want a K-3 visa, not a CR-1 visa! (I repeatedly stressed that in both of my application packets.)

Notice letter says that my petition has been forwarded on to the NVC.

(Last touched date for my I-129F is listed as August 3.)

What can/should I do?

Thanks,

Ben

If the I-130 is complete and is going to be faster, then why the continued desire for I-129F for K-3?

YMMV

Timeline
If the I-130 is complete and is going to be faster, then why the continued desire for I-129F for K-3?

Based upon the timelines shown on this site, I disagree with what you've written. (So, why do you say that?)

For example: The processing time at the NVC is much longer for a CR-1 than for a K-3.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Have you tried calling them and asking?

Maybe they will be willing to answer your question about the 129F since your 130 is already approved.

And I understand why you would want the K3 (just like I do). Some of us would prefer to deal with any delays in this process while our loved one is in the U.S. versus taking the risk of RFEs and delays at NVC and the embassy due to the more involved IR1/CR1 process.

Please post any comments/updates you get. Thanks.

11/03/07: Civil Wedding

05/03/08: Religious Wedding

I-130 Timeline

11/27/07: I-130 sent to VSC

01/28/08: NOA1

02/24/08: Touched

08/13/08: I-130 transferred from VSC to CSC

08/14/08: Touched

08/21/08: I-130 now pending at CSC

09/17/08: Touched in the morning

09/17/08: NOA2 - Approval email sent at 10:15 PM. 295 days. 9 months, 21 days

09/18/08: Touched

09/19/08: Touched

NVC Timeline

09/24/08: Case number generated

10/02/08: AOS and IV invoice mailed by NVC. DS-3032 not needed

10/07/08: AOS invoiced received and paid online

10/08/08: IV invoice paid online

10/09/08: AOS and IV shows paid in online system. Printed bar coded pages

10/10/08: Mailed I864 package

10/14/08: I-864 package received at NVC

10/16/08: Mailed DS-230 package

10/17/08: DS-230 package received at NVC

10/24/08: Case complete. 31 days from NVC receipt to completion

10/29/08: NVC assigned interview date of 12/22/08

The last mile

12/22/08: Interview at the Lima, Peru embassy completed

12/23/08: Passport and documents picked up at DHL facility in Lima

12/27/08: Point of Entry - Miami International Airport. 398 days. 1 year, 1 month from submission of I130 to U.S. arrival

01/21/09: My wife received Residence Card in the mail

02/13/09: My wife received Social Security Card in the mail (had to go to SS office and apply in person)

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

12/08/10: Received at VSC

12/24/10: Biometrics notice date

01/14/11: Biometrics appointment date

05/10/11: Approval letter received

Timeline

Based upon the timelines shown on this site, I disagree with what you've written. (So, why do you say that?)

For example: The processing time at the NVC is much longer for a CR-1 than for a K-3.

You disagree with an IF statement? I said nothing definitive other than IF...

Of course NVC processing is longer because they actually do something to the file rather than be a pass through conduit...

The question you must answer is the NVC processing for the I-130 going to be longer than the remaining processing time for the I-129F AND NVC. Unfortunately that is an unknown at the moment...

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Follow these steps here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1984191

You can finish with NVC in less than 6 weeks. It is a much better visa. She can work almost right away. You wont have to pay Adjustment of Status later on. So it's cheaper as well. I have decided to go this route, even though it maight take an additional 30-45 days. You are already way ahead by having your I-130 approved so quickly. I would take advantage of that.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline
The question you must answer is the NVC processing for the I-130 going to be longer than the remaining processing time for the I-129F AND NVC. Unfortunately that is an unknown at the moment...

Actually, it is somewhat known, according to historical data on this website.

If my I-129F were processed along with my I-130 (as it should have been), the remaining wait time would only be about 77 days.

If I have to wait for NVC processing for my I-130 instead, the remaining wait time is over 140 days.

So, in summary, the remaining wait time (based upon the history/data on this website) is about *twice* as long for CR-1 as for K-3.

That is exactly why I applied for a K-3 visa, not a CR-1 visa.

Timeline
You can finish with NVC in less than 6 weeks. It is a much better visa. She can work almost right away. You wont have to pay Adjustment of Status later on. So it's cheaper as well. I have decided to go this route, even though it maight take an additional 30-45 days. You are already way ahead by having your I-130 approved so quickly. I would take advantage of that.

Where are you guys getting your data?

According to the historical data on this website, the NVC processing time for an I-130 application is currently about 115 days. (So, that is about 15 weeks, rather than 6 weeks.) Then, the following consulate processing is another 37 days.

So, the CR-1 route looks to be very slow to me, relative to the K-3 route (assuming an I-129F has already been approved by USCIS).

Btw: I totally don't care about the cost savings of CR-1. And we don't care about AOS time. We have no intention for my wife to work anyway. I just want my wife here in the U.S. with me ASAP. And that is why we went the K-3 route, and why this CR-1 diversion is so maddening to me.

Timeline

Let's be perfectly clear about something... You have NOT applied for a visa. As a USC you do not need a visa. What you have done is petitioned the USCIS to determine eligibility for a spousal visa for your SO. Your spouse will sometime in the future apply for a visa.

Unfortunately there is no way to avoid submitting an I-130 petition as that is a pre-cursor to the I-129F. So it is either petition for determination of eligibility for a CR-1 or petition for determination of eligibility for a CR-1 AND a K-3. You cannot petiion for the eligibilty for K-3 alone. As sad as that is that is how it works.

YMMV

Timeline

Let's be perfectly clear about something... You have NOT applied for a visa. As a USC you do not need a visa. What you have done is petitioned the USCIS to determine eligibility for a spousal visa for your SO. Your spouse will sometime in the future apply for a visa.

Unfortunately there is no way to avoid submitting an I-130 petition as that is a pre-cursor to the I-129F. So it is either petition for determination of eligibility for a CR-1 or petition for determination of eligibility for a CR-1 AND a K-3. You cannot petiion for the eligibilty for K-3 alone. As sad as that is that is how it works.

I understand your attention to precise terminology, but when I say "I applied for a K-3 visa, not a CR-1 visa," that is merely shorthand, and I think everybody knows what I mean.

If my I-129F is approved along with my I-130 and submitted to NVC, we will end up with a K-3.

If only my I-130 is approved and submitted to NVC, we will end up with a CR-1.

I want a K-3, not a CR-1.

Filed: Timeline

The end result IS a CR1. K3 is just a route to get there.

I also want the K3. And I'll tell ya why. NVC has not yet received the I130. Who knows then that will happen. Maybe in 3 months. Then all the ds3032s and the ds230s...it could take 5 months more at this speed.

The K3 would barely stop over at NVC then move on to Amman for an interview date. We were touched today! So either they are still processing our K3 or closing it out.

Jackie

good luck everyone :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
If my I-129F is approved along with my I-130 and submitted to NVC, we will end up with a K-3.

If only my I-130 is approved and submitted to NVC, we will end up with a CR-1.

I want a K-3, not a CR-1.

Moot, as your I-129F was not approved along with your I-130. K3 visas are not available when an immigrant visa is immediately available. There's even a possibility your I-129F will be rejected altogether because you have an approved I-130.

These are your choices as I see them.

1. Do nothing about your I-130 at NVC. Just ignore them and wait for your I-129F.

2. Push through with the I-130 and if the I-129F catches up and passes it, great. Then you can decide what to do when the time comes.

The downside of option one is you have no clue how long it will take for your I-129F to be approved or if it ever will be and you can't get any of that time back.

The downside of option two is that you could end up paying an immigrant visa fee for an visa that is never issued.

If there is a K4 child involved for whom you failed to file an I-130, I'd go with option 1. Otherwise option 1, is just foolish.

On the other hand, if you just want to complain about things not working out as you planned instead of rejoicing in a 30 day petition approval when others have waited nearly a year, let us know so we can ignore you.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Moot, as your I-129F was not approved along with your I-130. K3 visas are not available when an immigrant visa is immediately available. There's even a possibility your I-129F will be rejected altogether because you have an approved I-130.

Hmmm... I don't understand what you mean here.

From what I understand, K-3 visas can be issued at any time, as can CR-1 visas. This petition is for my wife, so I don't believe there is any sort of visa quota involved here in my case.

Timeline

I just called USCIS, and the person I spoke with suggested that I could request expedited processing of my I-129F to resolve this situation, as my I-130 has already been approved and my I-129F should have been approved along with it.

I think that is what I should do.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hmmm... I don't understand what you mean here.

From what I understand, K-3 visas can be issued at any time, as can CR-1 visas. This petition is for my wife, so I don't believe there is any sort of visa quota involved here in my case.

Happy to clarify. If an I-130 is approved before USCIS receives an I-129F, the I-129F will be rejected because one of the conditions for filing the I-129F for a spouse is that an I-130 be "pending". On another score, if your I-130 is on station at a US Consulate abroad, a K3 visa cannot be issued because an immigrant visa is "immediately available". I wasn't referring to quotas.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.