SterlingGirl

More dumb questions

19 posts in this topic

1. At ANY time, will my fiance need the originals of such documents as my divorce decree or birth certificate? I know HIS have to be the originals, but are they actually expecting me to send my only original of my divorce decree? Or my birth certificate that would cost me a ridiculous amount of money to replace (since it's out of state and priced by someone who obviously has a sick sense of humour)? They mentioned needing originals of all "documentary proof" - to what does this specifically refer? We've got his original plane tickets as proof of having met. I just wish I could readily glean WHAT the hell they want and when, annoying pillocks.

2. Will "British-sized" passport photos work for the police certificate? If not, does ANYONE know of a place near Eltham that does U.S.-specific passport photos? (My fiance was on a bus for an hour to Gould Pharmacy to go get the ones we already had taken). In fact, from this point forward - we're currently waiting for our package to reach the embassy - HOW many passport photos will we need so we can get it out of the way once and for all without being driven insane?

Edited by SterlingGirl

December 22nd, 2008: Legally wed!

March 16th, 2009: AOS package posted via FedEx

March 18th, 2009: AOS package delivered, signed for by J. Chyba

March 24th, 2009: NOA1

March 25th, 2009: Check cashed

March 27th, 2009: NOA1 in hand

April 3rd, 2009: Case transferred to CSC (YES!)

April 9th, 2009: Biometrics

May 6th, 2009: EAD and AP approval notices sent

May 12th, 2009: AOS Touch

May 13th, 2009: AOS Touch, EAD received

June 18th, 2009: CRIS approval email, card production ordered - yes!

June 18th, 2009: Welcome notice mailed

June 22nd, 2009: Welcome notice received

July 2, 2009: Green card received!

1. At ANY time, will my fiance need the originals of such documents as my divorce decree or birth certificate? I know HIS have to be the originals, but are they actually expecting me to send my only original of my divorce decree? Or my birth certificate that would cost me a ridiculous amount of money to replace (since it's out of state and priced by someone who obviously has a sick sense of humour)? They mentioned needing originals of all "documentary proof" - to what does this specifically refer? We've got his original plane tickets as proof of having met. I just wish I could readily glean WHAT the hell they want and when, annoying pillocks.

At the interview stage, he won't need your BC or your divorce decree. The documents they are interested in are his. That being said, I brought mine to my husband's interview because I was paranoid, but they didn't want to see them, not even a copy.

The best way to know what to bring is to go on what is on the checklist that arrives with Packet 3.

2. Will "British-sized" passport photos work for the police certificate? If not, does ANYONE know of a place near Eltham that does U.S.-specific passport photos? (My fiance was on a bus for an hour to Gould Pharmacy to go get the ones we already had taken). In fact, from this point forward - we're currently waiting for our package to reach the embassy - HOW many passport photos will we need so we can get it out of the way once and for all without being driven insane?

From the ACPO website: Photographs: Please enclose a recent passport size colour photograph (45mm x 35mm). This will be scanned onto your Police Certificate.

That's UK-sized, so no need to get US ones for that. That being said, he WILL need more US sized ones for the visa if he doesn't have them already. Snappy Snaps is your best bet. I used to live in Greenwich, and I know there's one in the Church Street there, very near the Cutty Sark DLR station. I think there might also be one in Lewisham as well.

He will need:

2 UK-sized (1 for police certificate, 1 for medical)

2 US-sized (for interview)

Ummm... I didn't do K1, but perhaps someone can help me if one of the DS-156 forms also needs a US-sized photo?

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Shan sent over her original birth certificate and divorce decree to me. The whole package (with I-134 evidence, etc) was mailed through DHL, so perhaps a bit less likely to go astray. Whether it's required is another question, as they didn't ask for any of it. I felt better for having it all though, just in case.

UK passport photo is fine for the ACPO certificate.

As for US specific photos, you'll need 3, according to Packet 3; 2 for the Embassy, 1 for the medical.

edit - beaten to it ;) The DS-156 forms has a photo, but I believe (can't remember exactly, I was too busy being nervous) it's attached by the interviewing officer at the Embassy.

Stu

Edited by SMB x2

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

2 UK-sized (1 for police certificate, 1 for medical)

2 US-sized (for interview)

As for US specific photos, you'll need 3, according to Packet 3; 2 for the Embassy, 1 for the medical.

Conflicting factage... :P

SG--I also read all the info here on VJ and had given my UK fiance my original birth certificate and my husband's death certificate. Those were not requested. I truly believe your things are looked over by USCIS and okayed at that point. I know you're paranoid about doing it perfectly, but London was pretty easy. Yes to original documents for him, wouldn't bother for originals for you. And I don't interpret that statement as meaning plane tickets or anything to do with meeting.

Police certificate is one UK (smaller) photo. It's in the instructions http://www.acpo.police.uk/Certificates/App...%20form%207.pdf

And just for the record. My fiance took his own photo and printed at home and cut to size. You've got to follow the guidelines and get it to look like a passport photo, but his DIY photos worked.

Photo recap: 1 UK for medical, 1 UK for ACPO police, 2 US for Embassy.

Edit: Oh, I went off to answer the phone and many replies came through before me. Well at least you know we concur.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Since you have the NOA2, the evidence you sumbmitted establishing yourself as a US resident free to marry was obviously acceptable. It is your fiance who is applying for a K1 visa, and therefore all of the evidence such as birth certs and divorce decrees is relative to him only. No need to send yours along again.

To clarify:

You do not need to have a US-sized photo for the medical; the space on the medical form is for a UK-sized photo. It is fine to bring a US-sized one, but they will cut it down anyway. If you already have to get a UK-sized one for the ACPO certificate, might as well save your quids and not get a third US photo.

So technically, both Stu and I are both correct.

You do not need to have a US-sized photo for the medical; the space on the medical form is for a UK-sized photo. It is fine to bring a US-sized one, but they will cut it down anyway. If you already have to get a UK-sized one for the ACPO certificate, might as well save your quids and not get a third US photo.

Yes, good clarification. My fiance had both at the medical (since he had a pile of DIYs) and asked the lady which she wanted. She said the UK one fit the form and the other would be cut down to fit.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I would have gone with your answer, but I didn't realise you'd written yours until I posted mine :innocent:

Off the top of my head, I gave Knightsbridge one of the spare US size ones I had. I bought two sets from Goulds because I couldn't remember if I needed immigrant or non-immigrant pictures, so got a set of each. Whichever it was the Embassy wanted, Knightsbridge got the other and trimmed 'em down :lol:

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

I would have gone with your answer, but I didn't realise you'd written yours until I posted mine :innocent:

Off the top of my head, I gave Knightsbridge one of the spare US size ones I had. I bought two sets from Goulds because I couldn't remember if I needed immigrant or non-immigrant pictures, so got a set of each. Whichever it was the Embassy wanted, Knightsbridge got the other and trimmed 'em down :lol:

Stu

Man, I just realised I wrote "both" twice in that sentence. I am having one of those days, clearly. :wacko:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't think you have to send a copy of your birth certificate as long as you (USC) has other forms of ID. My birth certificate is long gone and if I remember right I sent a copy of my passport, driver's license and SS#. That should do you fine.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Why would the USC have to show forms of ID when it is the UK Citizen that is being interviewed for the Visa?(Unless the USC is going to the interview with the UK Citizen), I am having Steven send me his Birth Certificate but London dont require that we are just doing it as a precaution.

Now I am worried that I will have to get him to send me other forms of ID, thats wrong right? USCIS have already established that he is who he says he is.

Edited by Nicoxcx

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Why would the USC have to show forms of ID when it is the UK Citizen that is being interviewed for the Visa?(Unless the USC is going to the interview with the UK Citizen), I am having Steven send me his Birth Certificate but London dont require that we are just doing it as a precaution.

Now I am worried that I will have to get him to send me other forms of ID, thats wrong right? USCIS have already established that he is who he says he is.

I was thinking the same thing.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

At the interview, my fiance took all his originals. I gave him copies of anything of mine he needed. They were fine with that.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

To repeat: the UKC does NOT need to bring any of the USC's identification with them to the interview. The only time this would be necessary is if 1) the USC is accompanying the UKC and wants to get into the Embassy or 2) the interview is for a CR1/IR1 visa and the I-864 needs to have proof attached of the sponsor's citizenship.

When you get packet 3, it will tell you what to bring. Bring what is on the list.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.