Mark Murphy

Change of Status and I-94

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Went to take my wife to get her drivers license today. They told her that she could not get due to her I 94 has expired. We have sent in the Change of Status package and received the I-797C and she had done her biometrics. The license agency told us that we have to go to immigration and get a I-551 stamp on her passport. Tried to make a appointment thru Info Pass, but was told appointments are not available. What do we do?

Getting new or renewing expired documents sometimes (all the time) can be difficult when in I-751 loophole. I would suggest to go to another Department of Motor Vehicles in your vicinity and see if you have a better luck. It usually depends more on who is working rather than the exact procedure. As for info-pass appointment, you have to keep trying, sometimes you can do it right away however sometimes it can take hours or days of trying. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you get the same schpill at another DMV office, you will most likely have to wait for either her EAD or actual green card to apply again.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Went to take my wife to get her drivers license today. They told her that she could not get due to her I 94 has expired. We have sent in the Change of Status package and received the I-797C and she had done her biometrics. The license agency told us that we have to go to immigration and get a I-551 stamp on her passport. Tried to make a appointment thru Info Pass, but was told appointments are not available. What do we do?

While you are posting in the removing conditions forum it sounds like you are at the AOS stage, not the Removal of Conditions stage. If your wife has not already received her conditional greencard or has had her AOS approved, she is not eligible to get the I-551 stamp - that is only for permanent residents, and your wife is still an Adjustment applicant. The I-551 stamp is the same as the greencard and her greencard is not yet approved.

DMVs are increasingly requiring proof of immigration status that is valid for at least 1 year. I don't know if Illinois is one of those or not. Regardless, an infopass appointment will resolve nothing for you. You will need to wait until she receives either her EAD or her greencard. If she gets the EAD first, go asap to get the Driver's License since it is only valid for one year and you will want to get as close to a full year's access if Illinois requires a one year validity immigration document. Her driver's license will expire on the same date as her EAD - or if she gets her greencard first, as her conditoinal greencard.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So it seems we are in limbo at this point. She can't drive, or work, until EAD comes. It make me a little nervous, we did everything we are supposed to do, K1, married in the 90 days, change of status soon after the marriage. Now her I-94 is out and we have nothing other than the receipts for the change of status package, that says she is currently legal. Seems like a major loophole. I am starting to understand why they are so many illegal immigrants here.

Filed: Timeline

You might also be in the wrong forum. It doesn't sound like your wife has her green card yet. This forum is for those who already have a 2 year green card and are in the process of removing their conditions. You might have better luck in the K1/AOS forums. They may have similar experiences.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
You might also be in the wrong forum. It doesn't sound like your wife has her green card yet. This forum is for those who already have a 2 year green card and are in the process of removing their conditions. You might have better luck in the K1/AOS forums. They may have similar experiences.

Incorrect buddy. This forum is for those who ARE adjusting status from a work, student or tourist visa not only for those who are lifting conditions, which may also apply. This forum is an AOS forum and as I see, Mark Murphy is NOT a K1 but an AOS petitioner.

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Therefore, he is free to post in this forum because it applies to his situation. Check facts first before posting

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

I'm not sure if your wife was adjusting from K-1 or from a non-spousal visa, but I was not able to get my CO driver's license until I had my Greencard. I was not even able to get it with my EAD. I was, however, told I could drive on my Canadian license until then. I did not agree with this, but I asked at two separate places and was told the same thing and ran out of the desire to argue....apparently, this is because without a non-spousal visa and without a greencard, I was still really a visitor. But your profile says adjusting from K1, so maybe it's different. HOwever, you are posting in this forum, so maybe that's incorrect??

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.