Keigwyn

Getting Marriage Licence

23 posts in this topic

Well its nearly time to leave the UK for the USA and start my new life there. I was only going to arrive a matter of days before we get married. So we are now wondering if I need to be there in order to get the marriage licence or can my fiancee just obtain one if she has my birth certificate?

It says you only need about three days after obtaining the licence to get married but it recommends a month...any reasons for this?

Is there anything else that is needed as well as proof of residency for the USC and the $30 for the fee?

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Well its nearly time to leave the UK for the USA and start my new life there. I was only going to arrive a matter of days before we get married. So we are now wondering if I need to be there in order to get the marriage licence or can my fiancee just obtain one if she has my birth certificate?

It says you only need about three days after obtaining the licence to get married but it recommends a month...any reasons for this?

Is there anything else that is needed as well as proof of residency for the USC and the $30 for the fee?

Yes... Typically the marriage license has to be applied for with both parties present... If the state requires an SSN to get the license, you very likely will need to be present to sign an affidavit that you do not have a SSN since you are not eligible for one.

Some states have waiting periods between the date that you apply and the date that the license is valid. I haven't heard of a waiting period of more than 7 days.

Most County Clerks will require a birth certificate for each party (with translation if required). As well as a picture ID for the USC and the passport for the foreign applicant.

If you say where you're from, we could maybe get you a better answer.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

No you do not need to be there in person, all your fiancee needs is your birth certificate, and yes all you need to wait is for the three days to end. It is pretty simple. Are you getting married at the local Justice centre? If you do then it can be quite an experience lol.

Janice

Edited by arwensun1965

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Timeline
No you do not need to be there in person, all your fiancee needs is your birth certificate, and yes all you need to wait is for the three days to end. It is pretty simple. Are you getting married at the local Justice centre? If you do then it can be quite an experience lol.

Janice

Actually that depends on the state and what may be required of the foreign applicant... Some states put up a lot of hoops that are hard to overcome if the foreign applicant is not present...

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline
Actually that depends on the state and what may be required of the foreign applicant... Some states put up a lot of hoops that are hard to overcome if the foreign applicant is not present...

You are probably right, here in Washington State we hardly had to do anything, maybe the best course of action would be to phone the local department and find out what they should do.

Janice

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Yes, I belive it varies by state. In Tennessee, both parties have to be there.

Google it for your fiancee's state, see what you come up with!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

In PA both parties have to present, in the end, they ask you if you're under the influence of any drugs, alcohol, etc. And if you are being forced into this marriage. I thought it was hillarious.

Best thing to do is Google it for your State.

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Thanks for the replies. We will be getting married in Michigan (Upper). I will have another look through Google. I got the three days bit from there, but could nt work out if both of us had to to present.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

In NJ both parties have to be present along with one witness. The license is available for pickup after 72 hours.

The following link has some info on marriage licenses in michigan along with county clerk phone numbers at the bottom. Good luck.

http://www.wedalert.com/content/articles/G...an.asp#counties

K1

06-04-05 Met my fiancee in London

08-20-05 Engagement in Manchester, UK

09-07-05 Filed for I-129F

09-14-05 I-129F NOA1 Receipt

10-11-05 I-129F NOA2 Approved

10-13-05 NVC mails petition to US embassy in London

11-07-05 Received packet from US embassy

01-12-05 Medical Examination

02-03-06 Interview Date

02-06-06 Visa Received

03-10-06 U.S. Entry at Newark Liberty Intl.

AOS

04-03-06 Got Married

04-11-06 Picked up Marriage Certificate

04-13-06 Applied for Social Security

04-15-06 Went to Civil Surgeon's for I-693A

04-17-06 Picked up I-693A from Civil Surgeons

04-19-06 Received Social Security card

04-22-06 Sent AOS package

05-04-06 Checks cashed for AOS and EAD

05-06-06 NOA1 received for AOS and EAD

05-13-06 AOS and EAD touched

05-15-06 Appt. letter for Biometrics

05-20-06 Biometrics Appointment

05-25-06 AOS and EAD touched

07-20-06 EAD Approved

07-25-06 EAD received in mail

07-27-06 Notice for interview

09-26-06 AOS Approved

114952351596656.gif

Thanks for the replies. We will be getting married in Michigan (Upper). I will have another look through Google. I got the three days bit from there, but could nt work out if both of us had to to present.

I agree, what I found on Google for Michigan wasn't overly specific.

Have your fiance call the place that you will be going to get it and ask them.

What part of the UP? I have a friend who is from Menominee, which I have visited. Really nice area!

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

I'm from Michigan.. you both have to be there because the alien has to sign an affidavit stating that you do not have a SSN... The waiting period is 3 days. You can get married any time after the 3 day waiting period. The marriage license is valid for 33 days after the date of application or 30 days of validity. So if you have waitied the month, the license wouldn't have been valid..

Thanks for all the replies. We rang the local office and we both need to attend. I need birth certificate and photo Id and we need to turn up 3 days or greater beforehand as Zyggy said.

The nearest big town to us will be Escanaba.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Why are you in such a big hurry to get married? Come here, get used to the area and people and in the meantime apply for the SSN and then the marriage license. This all won't take more than a few weeks at best.

You are jumping too fast into this but its your choice. If all else fails, you can fly to Vegas and get married there - they probably have the loosest slot machines :lol: and marriage requirements! Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.