rushter

Stuck on stupid - Rejected I-485/765

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks for the forum and the knowledgeable folks here.

I submitted the applications 485 and 765 for aos for my wife and step-son.

$325 wife

$225 son

$ 70 biometrics

$180 EAD

-------------

$800 Certified Bank Check. Yes a single check.

I-485 Rejection notice:

The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. The correct filing fee is $325. Each applicant between the ages of ... an additional $70 fingerprint fee....

Please resubmit with appropriate fees....

I-765 says just that the fee is 180 and to resubmit with correct fee.

So, no more filing using a single check for all fees.

Nonetheless, there's still the issue of my 8 yo son's aos as well. It's like they didn't even notice my son was part of the I485, (no mention of his required $225 fee)?

Ok, so now I'm concerned that this doesn't work the same as the K1 with child piggy backing on the application of the mom.

Does my son need his own I485 complete package and 864 etc etc in duplicate with his mother's application for AOS? I'd like to get this thing back in the mail tomorrow, but if I need to do all this then I'm may visit my K1 lawyer on monday.

I swear if filing a separate 485 for him is required I'm going to beat my head in the wall as I spent hours and hours working on this thing to get it perfect only to receive the entire package back, disassembled and restapled together the way they need them... (all those nice tab things I made folded up and stashed in a plastic bag with the photos and mail envelope). And if filing additional 485 is necessary it's probably a good thing the single check for all fees was rejected.

Thanks for any info...

Yes Red Foreman, call me a dumbass

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes you need to file a separate I 485 and 864 for your son. This can be mailed in the same package but they are separate applications. We did one big check for all of it and had no problem. My guess is they think you overpayed.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

My son was 11 and a separate 485 is required but we copied the 864 - he won't need the $70 fee but biometrics will still be taken for the green card - photo and one fingerprint

Me - Gloucester England Him - Green Bay Wisconsin

1/10/05 Adjustment of status applied for for my son and I

1/19/05 Documents received and process started in Chicago

2/24/05 Fingerprinting and Biometrics done in Milwaukee

3/4/05 received in the post

3/7/05 Applied at local office in Green Bay for SSN

3/8/05 Received a print out of SSN number from the office and card is on it's way !

3/10/05 Got a job ! Server at Smokey Bones - will do for now while I'm looking for the right job !

3/16/05 card arrives

3/18/05 Got state ID Card

5/20/05 Appt interview letter received for 29th June 2005

6/16/05 After 3 interviews with Associated Bank have been offered a Personal Bankers Position to start on july 5th - excellent news 40 hours !!!

6/25/05 Passed my driving test !

6/29/05 APPROVED - Adjustment of status interview - Milwaukee

7/8/05 Green cards arrived for both my son and I

05/10/07 documents sent to lift conditions

05/24/07 letters rec'd extending green card and biometrics letters rec'd for 06/11/2007

06/11/07 Biometrics done in Milwaukee

04/11/08 letters received from UCIS transferring case to California from Nebraska service centre

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Maybe do 2 checks for each applicant (or point out on the check the 2 names), attached to each application complete with the relevant copies.

Edited by allynella

*Karen -- Jamaica ....... Courtney -- New Jersey*

09-12-05 - AOS filed

04-21-06 - AOS Interview

04-27-06 - Approval

05-17-06 - Green Card in hand

02-11-08 - File to remove conditions

03-15-08 - Biometrics

03-18-09 - Approved - No interview (Card production ordered)

03-24-09 - 10-year card arrives!

adaf8672.gif

JimminiCricket.jpg

Timeline

I am SO STUPID!

But yet, I had searched the whole freakin world over the internet on 485's/aos stuff for man... must've been days and days on end to be sure I had done the whole thing correctly but yet... I had never found a single checklist or anything that referenced a K1 with dependent.

Additionally, the USCIS site has NO REFERENCE to this either. It almost looks like it's 'supposed to be this way' with the 485 app page 2 that me and my son are listed there. I guess I SHOULD do a G325 as well? Even though it says it's not required for <14 yo... hmmm...

I'm going to do this for my son tomorrow as soon as I wake up. If anyone else has any other suggestions or recommendations and ESPECIALLY experiences with filing an aos with a dependent child your input would sincerely be appreciated.

I would especially appreciate it if someone else here could call me an IDIOT MORON too to offset my wife's reaction as well. :devil: I'll definitely feel better. :dance: The more the better!

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

This thing is going back to the USCIS this afternoon.

(BTW, I never received my registered/certified mail receipt back - no biggie, I just got the entire package back instead; I guess that counts for something).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Don't be so hard on yourself. I had the same question after I filled the

I 485 for the K1. It really looked like the K2 was covered by that form. I called them and asked. They claimed that there was no need for the G325A but I sent one anyway. They can always throw it away.

We got an RFE for stupid stuff that we knew we needed and somehow missed in the package.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Timeline
Don't be so hard on yourself. I had the same question after I filled the

I 485 for the K1. It really looked like the K2 was covered by that form. I called them and asked. They claimed that there was no need for the G325A but I sent one anyway. They can always throw it away.

We got an RFE for stupid stuff that we knew we needed and somehow missed in the package.

I guess that copying the 864 evidence, but doing another original with notarized statement for my son is in order then.

Thinking of splitting the check up for all three applications anyway too.

Rushter:

It took me several days to make my own summary of what we needed to fill the AOS for my daughter (K2) and it was hard!!! The only info I found was using advanced search in visajourney and checking a lot of messages!! Hope this helps you!

-Fill out the I-485 for each child. The mother signs that form writting (mother) at one side.

-Fee is $225 if the child is under 14. (ref. Oct 2005) Also, if the child is under 14 there is not biometrics fee or G-325a needed. Children will have a biometrics appointment where Thumb print and Digital Picture will be taken. There is no Biometrics fee for children.

-Fill the I-131 (AP) if you need that.

-Include a photocopy of the I-864 that is to be included in your AOS, in your child's plus all the required documents in the instructions. The I-864 for the K2 can be a photocopy of the I-864 for the K1 if the K2 is listed in Part 3 of the affidavit for the K1.

-The child will have the A# on their K-2 Visa

-Separate checks for each application. Which means FIVE checks, one each for the K-1's AOS, AP, and EAD and one each for the K-2's AOS, AP.

-The K1's and K2's forms can go together in one envelope (AOS, AP, EAD). (USPS Express Mail Envelope) . Tie a different colored ribbon or rubber band around each packet, so that someone could tell they were separate filings and then wrapped a couple rubber bands around both. Write separate checks and attached them to the individual packets. Assembled each packet as separate filing to include whatever is required for each.

It is always good to included a covered letter. This was ours:

April 13, 2006

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: Beneficiary: XXXXXXX, Xxxxxx

Derivative: XXXXXXXX, Xxxxxxxxx (Daughter or Son)

Petitioner: XXXXXXX, Xxxxxxxxx

Immediate Relative (Spouse’s dependent) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application

Dear Sir/Madam:

On behalf of the above named Derivative, I hereby submit the following documents in support of our Petition for Immediate Relative (Spouse’s dependent) Family Based Adjustment of Status application.

1. Filing fee in the amount of $225;

2. Derivative’s Form I-485;

3. Copy of the Derivative’s Passport (biographical page and entry stamps);

4. Copy of the Derivative’s K-2 Visa from Passport;

5. Copy of the Derivative’s I-94 (front and back);

6. Copy of I-797C, Notice of Action – Receipt Notice;

7. Copy of I-797C, Notice of Action – Approval Notice;

8. Copy of NVC Letter notifying Visa approval;

9. Copy of the Derivative’s Birth Certificate along with English translation;

10. Copy of Beneficiary’s Marriage Certificate;

11. Copy of Petitioner's Divorce Decree; (OPTIONAL)

12. Copy of Beneficiary's Divorce Decree; (OPTIONAL)

13. Petitioner’s Form G-325A / Photos;

14. Derivative’s Forms G-325A / Photos;

15. Derivative’s Form I-693;

16. Petitioner’s Form I-864; (COPY)

If you require additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxxx

-------------------

The cover sheet for your wife's AOS:

April 13, 2006

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: Beneficiary: XXXXXXX, Xxxxxx

Derivative: XXXXXXXX, Xxxxxxxxx

Petitioner: XXXXXXX, Xxxxxxxxx

Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application

Dear Sir/Madam:

On behalf of the above named applicant, I hereby submit the following documents in support of our Petition for Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status application.

1. Filing fee in the amount of $325;

2. Fingerprints fee in the amount of $70;

3. Beneficiary’s Form I-485;

etc...

If you are interested we made a different cover sheet for everything, so I can email this to you!

HOPE THIS HELPS!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

We did separate I-485's and separate (but identical, both notarized) I-864's and separate G-325a's. I wrote cover letters for each that referenced the other, and put them all in one big, multisectioned folder with those foldy clips on the top (like the kind they have at a doctor's office). I wanted everything to be kept together in hopes that we would get biometrics appts on the same day (we did), and hopefully we will get AOS interviews together, so that was my way of doing what I could to help that happen. I wrote 5 checks (we also applied for AP for both and EAD for husband). The only fees I combined in one check were husband's AOS and husband's biometrics fee. Our son is under 14 so there was no bio fee for him.

As far as we know, and from scouring all of our documentation thus far, our son was not issued an A# until he was issued his AP.

I found the process a bit confusing and time-consuming, too. Be gentle with yourself... life is difficult enough.... isn't it??

;)

Best wishes,

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Rushter:

My daughter received her Alien number in the NOA1 for AOS. Not with her K2. So, just write none when your filling her aplication if you don't have it.

We also received the biometrics appointments for the same day, as maya. I was very happy about that, not always is that way!

Good luck!

Edited by carolanessi

Filed: Timeline

rushter,

Reading through the I-485 instructions, everything refering to children indicates that a child needs to apply even if the basis of their eligibility to apply is another adjustment applicant such as their parent. So, prepare an I-485 submission package for your stepson and put it in the envelope with your wife's package when you send that back.

Yodrak

Thanks for the forum and the knowledgeable folks here.

I submitted the applications 485 and 765 for aos for my wife and step-son.

$325 wife

$225 son

$ 70 biometrics

$180 EAD

-------------

$800 Certified Bank Check. Yes a single check.

I-485 Rejection notice:

The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. The correct filing fee is $325. Each applicant between the ages of ... an additional $70 fingerprint fee....

Please resubmit with appropriate fees....

I-765 says just that the fee is 180 and to resubmit with correct fee.

So, no more filing using a single check for all fees.

Nonetheless, there's still the issue of my 8 yo son's aos as well. It's like they didn't even notice my son was part of the I485, (no mention of his required $225 fee)?

Ok, so now I'm concerned that this doesn't work the same as the K1 with child piggy backing on the application of the mom.

Does my son need his own I485 complete package and 864 etc etc in duplicate with his mother's application for AOS? I'd like to get this thing back in the mail tomorrow, but if I need to do all this then I'm may visit my K1 lawyer on monday.

I swear if filing a separate 485 for him is required I'm going to beat my head in the wall as I spent hours and hours working on this thing to get it perfect only to receive the entire package back, disassembled and restapled together the way they need them... (all those nice tab things I made folded up and stashed in a plastic bag with the photos and mail envelope). And if filing additional 485 is necessary it's probably a good thing the single check for all fees was rejected.

Thanks for any info...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.