DeadPoolX

How is status achieved in society?

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's something I've been thinking about for a little while: How is status achieved?

Some would say it's due to monetary gain, but I don't think that's it (at least not entirely). Let's compare your rank-and-file white collar office worker and a plumber. The office worker would, off-hand, receive more prestige and higher status to most people (especially if he or she wears dressy clothing), but unless this person is in a management position, they're probably not making a ton of money. The plumber, on the other hand, does not wear nice clothes to work (he or she probably gets quite dirty too) and is most likely looked down upon by many, but he (or she) can make a lot of money.

So how is status acquired? Obviously CEOs, physicians and attorneys are given more weight in society than cafeteria workers or truck drivers. So is it intelligence? What about athletes and actors/actresses? Some of them may be brilliant, but many others would never make it into MENSA; some are only off the street due to their "star power." What about the old comparison of "teachers vs garbage men?" It's been said time and time again that garbage men make more money than teachers, even though a teaching degree requires higher education (not to mention dealing with children or teenagers and their parents).

Okay, so... it's not money and it's not intelligence, so what is it? I have a theory, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I think it depends entirely on who you hang out with. We're all part of our own little sub-societies, each of which assigns status based on different things.

In my little sub-society, status is a function of how much money you have and how large and close knit your family is. There's a lot of emphasis on how many family members you can round up to a wedding or reception - the more, the better.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

I think it depends entirely on who you hang out with. We're all part of our own little sub-societies, each of which assigns status based on different things.

In my little sub-society, status is a function of how much money you have and how large and close knit your family is. There's a lot of emphasis on how many family members you can round up to a wedding or reception - the more, the better.

Reason why I need to stop hanging out with you -_- my status is suffering :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think you can isolate any one factor that determines class. I'd say it's a combination of your own education, salary, where you live, what you wear. Also factor in what class your parents and other close relatives are in.

Reason why I need to stop hanging out with you -_- my status is suffering :lol:

Hey that is true too. I know people who've stopped hanging out with my and my friends because they weren't fitting in anymore, and now they chill with people who value the things they have. In a way, we tend to pick our friends and social circles based on maximizing our own status within the chosen sub-society...

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I am trying to figure out how status is achieved in my sub-society and I can't figure it out. A lot of our friends are different, from all salary ranges and family backgrounds. I guess we all have similar family value outlooks and faith but I am not sure if in my friend circle status is actually important. I guess it could be and I'm just not noticing it, it's not obvious.

In society as a whole, I agree it's not just one thing. Too many different factors.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

I am trying to figure out how status is achieved in my sub-society and I can't figure it out. A lot of our friends are different, from all salary ranges and family backgrounds. I guess we all have similar family value outlooks and faith but I am not sure if in my friend circle status is actually important. I guess it could be and I'm just not noticing it, it's not obvious.

In society as a whole, I agree it's not just one thing. Too many different factors.

Faith?

Timeline

Faith?

I guess, though I wonder if the status thing isn't meant more of people trying to achieve that recognition from their circle or society. We all share our faith but the degree to which each are involved in it varies a lot and those that are more involved are not necessarily treated as in a higher status than those who aren't.

Edited by Parivar CSK

Faith?

I guess, though I wonder if the status thing isn't meant more of people trying to achieve that recognition from their circle or society. We all share our faith but the degree to which each are involved in it varies a lot and those that are more involved are not necessarily treated as in a higher status than those who aren't.

So you guys haven't turned into a bunch of uber competitive churchies, yet... no worries, middle age awaits. It'll happen :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I married an American - I'm the shiznit in my society of friends. Its a reflected sense of status - clearly I must be of status to have an American want to marry me. :lol:

Actually - I really hate the whole status thing.

For my unclose "friends" its about how much you make, which side of the city you live on, what degree(s) you got in university, where you articled, where you vacation, what you now drive, and of course how hot your wife is or how much money your husband makes. :wacko:

For my close family & friends - status is about your ability to help in times of need. People who always help seem to have wealth beyond measurement because they're looked kindly upon and they have many people who they can count on in times of need. Status is measure more by how many close relationships you have.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Status is measure more by how many close relationships you have.

well that makes ken the top dog :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Status is measure more by how many close relationships you have.

well that makes ken the top dog :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I didn't say how many relations you have - relationships charles. :lol:

I have these two colleagues at work who are both into adventure sports. They have their own circle of friends who are into it too. Their conversations are always the best. I did this! Oh, you think that's the #######, well wait till you hear what I did! It's all about one upping the other with tales of crazier ####### they did. I guess that's status to them.

Timeline

Faith?

So you guys haven't turned into a bunch of uber competitive churchies, yet... no worries, middle age awaits. It'll happen :P

Most of us do not regularly attend a specific church these days...most are fed up with a lot churches. Maybe that's our in common status? :P And maybe our status is in not trusting status. Those who put too much emphasis on what they have is unappealing to all of us I believe. So I guess that's something...we may not give status to those who are too concerned with status.