classicrock68

K1 or K3?: Confused. Need Help SOON PLEASE !!!!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hello All:

Just registered and this is my first post. Really amazed at the site with all the statistics. Wanted to turn to this site to see if some one can give me any advice based on their experience.

My citizenship interview is scheduled for Sep 2, 2008. I recently traveled to India and got engaged in June. I was under the impression that K1 fiancee visa is the fastest way to bring your future spouse here, hence I chose to only get engaged and not marry. However, as I look through this site, it appears that K3 may be a great option esp if you file a I-130/K3 combined option (rather they go together). By the way, I read that you can file your K3 and I-130 simultaneously rather than wait for NOA1 for I-130 to arrive and then file I-129F for K3. Is that true?

I am at the cross roads and cannot decide if I should file for K1 or K3. Which one is faster? When I see the stats on VJ, it appears they are taking about the same time.

Since I am only engaged at this point, I would need to travel back to India to get married as soon as possible/before my citizenship interview so I can file immediately after I get my naturalization certificate. Given my timelines, it would be a registry/court marriage since there is not enough time to plan for a traditional hindu ceremony. Will that be problem when my wife goes for the K3 interview ?

I was considering traveling soon after my interview as well but that would present the other challenge. I would need a visa to travel to India. Also, I would need to wait to get my US passport. So, I would need some time before I can leave the country, which would delay my filing and add to my overall time. K1 is certainly easier, since I don't need to travel back now, which is big (trying to take time off from work with little notice would be hard) and I don't have to pack too much in the little time I have between now and my naturalization interview. In fact, I only only afford to go for 7-10 days. I need to be back before Sept 2 for my interview.

Is K1 a safe option to pursue ? What are the chances of getting that visa approved.

Anyone help or suggestions I can get from this forum will greatly help me. Under very tight deadlines and need to decide in a matter of days between K1 or K3 and if I need to travel to India to do a court marriage.

Thanks,

Timeline for K1 visa

9/11/2008 – mailed I-129F

9/12/2008 – Received at VSC/NOA 1 sent (mail stamp-9/16)

9/15/2008 – check cashed

9/19/2008 –Received NOA1

12/28/2008 – Received NOA2 Approval email from CRIS

01/06/2009 – Left NVC for Mumbai Consulate

01/07/2009 – Received NVC confirmation letter in the mail

01/08/2009 – Mumbai Consulate received file electronically and sent packet 3 (info from DOS)

01/10/2009 – Mumbai Consulate received file (hard copy) from NVC (DHL tracking)

01/19/2009 – Overnighted packet 3 (still did not receive receive pkt 3 from Mumbai)

01/20/2009 – Packet 3 arrives at Mumbai Consulate

01/23/2009 – called DOS and was informed that packet 4 has been sent and interview date set.

01/24/2009 – Received hard copy of packet 3 (postmark Jan 20). Too late. Already sent packet 3 on Jan 19.

02/02/09 – Received Packet 4

02/04/09 – Submitted documents at the VFS Kolkata Office

02/06/09 - Medicals completed

03/02/2009 – BIG DAY, i.e., Interview Date

03/03/2009 - Visa received in mail

04/09/2009 - POE

AOS

04/17/2009 - CIVIL

6/16/2009 - Mailed AOS package

6/19/2009 - NOA1

7/08/2009 - AOS transferred to CSC

7/17/2009 - Biometrics appointment, EAD case Touched

8/05/2009 - EAD card production ordered, AP approved !!!!

ROC

08/27/2011 - Mailed ROC packageCIVIL

08/29/2011 - NOA1

09/19/2011 - Early Bio (scheduled date 10/03/2011)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
Hello All:

Just registered and this is my first post. Really amazed at the site with all the statistics. Wanted to turn to this site to see if some one can give me any advice based on their experience.

My citizenship interview is scheduled for Sep 2, 2008. I recently traveled to India and got engaged in June. I was under the impression that K1 fiancee visa is the fastest way to bring your future spouse here, hence I chose to only get engaged and not marry. However, as I look through this site, it appears that K3 may be a great option esp if you file a I-130/K3 combined option (rather they go together). By the way, I read that you can file your K3 and I-130 simultaneously rather than wait for NOA1 for I-130 to arrive and then file I-129F for K3. Is that true?

I am at the cross roads and cannot decide if I should file for K1 or K3. Which one is faster? When I see the stats on VJ, it appears they are taking about the same time.

Since I am only engaged at this point, I would need to travel back to India to get married as soon as possible/before my citizenship interview so I can file immediately after I get my naturalization certificate. Given my timelines, it would be a registry/court marriage since there is not enough time to plan for a traditional hindu ceremony. Will that be problem when my wife goes for the K3 interview ?

I was considering traveling soon after my interview as well but that would present the other challenge. I would need a visa to travel to India. Also, I would need to wait to get my US passport. So, I would need some time before I can leave the country, which would delay my filing and add to my overall time. K1 is certainly easier, since I don't need to travel back now, which is big (trying to take time off from work with little notice would be hard) and I don't have to pack too much in the little time I have between now and my naturalization interview. In fact, I only only afford to go for 7-10 days. I need to be back before Sept 2 for my interview.

Is K1 a safe option to pursue ? What are the chances of getting that visa approved.

Anyone help or suggestions I can get from this forum will greatly help me. Under very tight deadlines and need to decide in a matter of days between K1 or K3 and if I need to travel to India to do a court marriage.

Thanks,

Can I assume you are going to start filing for your future wife after you get your citizenship?

Vermont and California Service Center are processing I-129F and I-130 petitions at different speed right now.

You are in NC, which I believe come under the jurisdiction of Vermont Service Center?

Vermont is quick for I-129F petition for fiancee (K1) but has a backlog for I-130 petition for spouse (CR1/IR1).

On top of waiting for your American passport to travel back. Getting married in a foreign country often involve paperwork and a waiting period, you may even have to wait for marriage certificate to process in India.

The fact that you can file the I-129F petition for fiancee right after you get your citizenship, don't need to wait, is a great advantage. I would say in your case, the fastest way to get her to US is filing I-129F for K1.

Leah

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello All:

Thanks,

Can I assume you are going to start filing for your future wife after you get your citizenship?

Vermont and California Service Center are processing I-129F and I-130 petitions at different speed right now.

You are in NC, which I believe come under the jurisdiction of Vermont Service Center?

Vermont is quick for I-129F petition for fiancee (K1) but has a backlog for I-130 petition for spouse (CR1/IR1).

On top of waiting for your American passport to travel back. Getting married in a foreign country often involve paperwork and a waiting period, you may even have to wait for marriage certificate to process in India.

The fact that you can file the I-129F petition for fiancee right after you get your citizenship, don't need to wait, is a great advantage. I would say in your case, the fastest way to get her to US is filing I-129F for K1.

Leah

Yes, in your circumstances, the fast way is to file the I-129F as soon as you have the citizenship certificate top prove you're a US citizen. If marrying in India is important, you can always choose that option but it will take longer.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
Hello All:

Thanks,

Leah

Yes, in your circumstances, the fast way is to file the I-129F as soon as you have the citizenship certificate top prove you're a US citizen. If marrying in India is important, you can always choose that option but it will take longer.

Thanks Leah and pushbrk. Appreciate the feedback. Does anyone have any experience with K1 visa for India. I understand the interview at the consulate abroad can be more difficult for K1 than K3 visa ? Is that true ? Can they deny the visa for any reason. What about timing. Is K1 faster for India than K3. Understand it is faster at Vermont than K3 as you guys point out. My fiancee is in Kolkata and I understand they don't do fiancee visas there. Do you get to pick the consulate or it is chosen for you.

Also, what do I need to send in as part of my K1 application ? I mean the supporting documentation (besides, pictures, plane ticket, naturalization cert, fiancee's birth certificate, divorce judgments, if applicable, phone records - I use Yahoo but also call from my cell phone as I am driving to and from work and on weekends). DO I NEED TO SHOW FINANCIAL SUPPORT, I mean do I need to do an Affidavit of Support.

More importantly, what does my fiancee need once she is called for an interview in India in terms to documentaion. She is getting nervous already.

DO I NEED A LAWYER TO DO the K1 or this is simple enough that you can't really screw up.

IF I decide to go with K3, I am assuming I would need to include my marriage certificate among other things. What else do I need. Not sure I understand the difference between I-130/K3 combined or CR1. What is the difference. Do I need to file my affidavit of financial support for spouse visa.

Timeline for K1 visa

9/11/2008 – mailed I-129F

9/12/2008 – Received at VSC/NOA 1 sent (mail stamp-9/16)

9/15/2008 – check cashed

9/19/2008 –Received NOA1

12/28/2008 – Received NOA2 Approval email from CRIS

01/06/2009 – Left NVC for Mumbai Consulate

01/07/2009 – Received NVC confirmation letter in the mail

01/08/2009 – Mumbai Consulate received file electronically and sent packet 3 (info from DOS)

01/10/2009 – Mumbai Consulate received file (hard copy) from NVC (DHL tracking)

01/19/2009 – Overnighted packet 3 (still did not receive receive pkt 3 from Mumbai)

01/20/2009 – Packet 3 arrives at Mumbai Consulate

01/23/2009 – called DOS and was informed that packet 4 has been sent and interview date set.

01/24/2009 – Received hard copy of packet 3 (postmark Jan 20). Too late. Already sent packet 3 on Jan 19.

02/02/09 – Received Packet 4

02/04/09 – Submitted documents at the VFS Kolkata Office

02/06/09 - Medicals completed

03/02/2009 – BIG DAY, i.e., Interview Date

03/03/2009 - Visa received in mail

04/09/2009 - POE

AOS

04/17/2009 - CIVIL

6/16/2009 - Mailed AOS package

6/19/2009 - NOA1

7/08/2009 - AOS transferred to CSC

7/17/2009 - Biometrics appointment, EAD case Touched

8/05/2009 - EAD card production ordered, AP approved !!!!

ROC

08/27/2011 - Mailed ROC packageCIVIL

08/29/2011 - NOA1

09/19/2011 - Early Bio (scheduled date 10/03/2011)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello All:

Thanks,

Leah

Thanks Leah and pushbrk. Appreciate the feedback. Does anyone have any experience with K1 visa for India. I understand the interview at the consulate abroad can be more difficult for K1 than K3 visa ? Is that true ? Can they deny the visa for any reason. What about timing. Is K1 faster for India than K3. Understand it is faster at Vermont than K3 as you guys point out. My fiancee is in Kolkata and I understand they don't do fiancee visas there. Do you get to pick the consulate or it is chosen for you.

Also, what do I need to send in as part of my K1 application ? I mean the supporting documentation (besides, pictures, plane ticket, naturalization cert, fiancee's birth certificate, divorce judgments, if applicable, phone records - I use Yahoo but also call from my cell phone as I am driving to and from work and on weekends). DO I NEED TO SHOW FINANCIAL SUPPORT, I mean do I need to do an Affidavit of Support.

More importantly, what does my fiancee need once she is called for an interview in India in terms to documentaion. She is getting nervous already.

DO I NEED A LAWYER TO DO the K1 or this is simple enough that you can't really screw up.

IF I decide to go with K3, I am assuming I would need to include my marriage certificate among other things. What else do I need. Not sure I understand the difference between I-130/K3 combined or CR1. What is the difference. Do I need to file my affidavit of financial support for spouse visa.

Time to study the guides. We can't rewrite them peacemeal for each new member with questions. Guides and form instructions would be next on your list. We can help with remaining questions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.