26 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Rarely do people get the stamp anymore, however it's only to be used in lieu of your GC until it arrives.

Congratulations!

It's actually a visa that takes up a whole page in my passport. Will I need to have Biometrics done when I get to the US? They did all the fingerprinting at the Embassy in London when I had my interview on 5th August and they have the photos that I supplied at this time as well. I can't find anyone in the same situation as me so I'm confused.

Rarely do people get the stamp anymore, however it's only to be used in lieu of your GC until it arrives.

Congratulations!

It's actually a visa that takes up a whole page in my passport. Will I need to have Biometrics done when I get to the US? They did all the fingerprinting at the Embassy in London when I had my interview on 5th August and they have the photos that I supplied at this time as well. I can't find anyone in the same situation as me so I'm confused.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
hi got my green card after only 6 months!!! way quicker than expected!

Anyway, what is an I-551 stamp and does everyone get one? i have my greencard and think i don't need the stamp, correct?

I don't think you need the stamp. From what I have gathered, the stamp is your temporary visa to be used until you get the plastic card itself.

Shiny123, actually you are a bit confused.

An I-551 stamp is a permanent resident stamp, it is sometimes given and used until the I-551 (Alien Registration Card a.k.a green card) arrives to allow people to prove their status (such as if they have to travel and re-enter the country, etc.) The I-551 stamp and green card are quite different than a visa.

If you applied for and are receiving an IR-1 or CR-1 visa, you will receive a green card soon after arriving in the US and activating the visa. If you applied for K-3, then you would have to adjust status to get a green card (and might get the stamp after a successful stateside interview to use until the actual card arrives). In this case, you will need to do biometrics, new photos, etc.

Congratulations!

Anyway, what is an I-551 stamp and does everyone get one? i have my greencard and think i don't need the stamp, correct?

I don't think you need the stamp. From what I have gathered, the stamp is your temporary visa to be used until you get the plastic card itself.

03/12/2007 - Married to my beautiful wife

04/16/2007 - Sent I-130 to VSC via USPS Express Mail

05/12/2007 - NOA1 received by snail mail after a loooong wait

05/14/2007 - Sent I-129F for K3 to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Express Mail

10/22/2007 - I129F APPROVED (161 days), I130 APPROVED (188 days)

11/08/2007 - I129F received at NVC, embassy case number generated.

11/13/2007 - I129F forwarded to embassy.

11/18/2007 - 129F petition received at embassy

01/09/2008 - finally, DOS gives me the interview date, April 16, 2007 (ouch)

01/23/2008 - never got packet 4, emailed embassy

04/11/2008 - picked up packet 4, did medical

04/14/2008 - medical report pickup, no problems

04/16/2008 - interview date- APPROVED!!!!!

04/18/2008 - both of us are home at last, POE JFK!

05/21/2008 - sent AOS and EAD

05/27/2008 - received NOA1 for AOS and for EAD

06/02/2008 - received Biometrics appt letter

06/19/2008 - Biometrics appointment scheduled - DONE

06/19/2008 - both AOS and EAD touched because of biometrics

07/29/2008 - EAD approved.

05/13/2009 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!/ Card production ordered email

05/18/2009 - Welcome Letter received

06/12/2009 - Second card production ordered email

06/19/2009 - Approval notice send email

06/22/2009 - Green Card received

04/09/2012 - Applied for Citizenship by Express Mailing N400 to NBC

04/10/2012 - N400 received by USCIS

06/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/27/2012 - Appointment scheduled for N400 interview

09/05/2012 - Interview passed, oath ceremony completed, and Naturalization certificate received.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Congrats!!!

g.gifo.gifd.gifempty.gifb.gifl.gife.gifs.gifs.gif

K1-K2 process:

2007-04-25 : K1-K2 package submitted

2007-05-07 : NOA 1

2007-09-07 : NOA 2

2007-09-13 : Consulate received

2007-11-29 : Appointment letter received

2008-01-08 : Interview Date

2008-01-23 : Visa received

2008-02-05 : U.S. entry

2008-02-28 : Wedding Date

AOS process:

2008-05-22 : Filing date

2008-05-30 : NOA K1-K2

2008-06-21 : Biometrics appointments

2008-06-30 : Transfer to CSC

2008-07-30 : Approval date

2008-08-30 : Greencard received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a death in my family last night, and need to travel back to Canada for the funeral. I called USCIS and the guy on the line asked if I'd filed for a travel permit, and when I said no, the best he could give me was to set up an appointment with the field office for my area, and maybe they'll give me a stamp. Not will, -maybe-.

I had my AOS interview back in November '07, and haven't gotten my GC yet. Since I had someone on the phone at USCIS, I had him put in a request on my AOS to move it along, since it'd been way overdue for something to have happened.

Anyways, my question is for those who've been in situations where they didn't have there actual GC yet, and needed to travel. What do I have to bring with me to the field office to be able to get the stamp in my passport? ***removed*** says to bring:

- 2 passport photos

- passport

- I-797 Approval Notice

Is that right? Do I need something else?

Timeline
What is the reason you are still waiting for the card? RFE after interview? Namecheck? card lost in the mail? Difference circumstances call for different options.

Atlanta was apparently behind schedual /surpise.

He gave me a confirmation number, and said I should have it around the 24th of Sept.

What is the reason you are still waiting for the card? RFE after interview? Namecheck? card lost in the mail? Difference circumstances call for different options.

He gave me a confirmation number, and said I should have it around the 24th of Sept.

I still don't get it. You had your interview Nov 2007. Were you approved? It does not take 10 months to produce a greencard for an approval at the end of the interview.

Did they stamp your passport upon successful completion of the interview?

Timeline

I still don't get it. You had your interview Nov 2007. Were you approved? It does not take 10 months to produce a greencard for an approval at the end of the interview.

Did they stamp your passport upon successful completion of the interview?

Yes, I was approved. No, they didn't stamp my passport. At the interview I was told that they were no longer stamping passports unless it was necessary. In which case I would have to make an appointment with the field office and drive -back- to Atlanta to get the stamp.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I had a death in my family last night, and need to travel back to Canada for the funeral. I called USCIS and the guy on the line asked if I'd filed for a travel permit, and when I said no, the best he could give me was to set up an appointment with the field office for my area, and maybe they'll give me a stamp. Not will, -maybe-.

I had my AOS interview back in November '07, and haven't gotten my GC yet. Since I had someone on the phone at USCIS, I had him put in a request on my AOS to move it along, since it'd been way overdue for something to have happened.

Anyways, my question is for those who've been in situations where they didn't have there actual GC yet, and needed to travel. What do I have to bring with me to the field office to be able to get the stamp in my passport? ***removed*** says to bring:

- 2 passport photos

- passport

- I-797 Approval Notice

Yes, take your passport and your I-797 approval notice - something that has your A number listed on it. They check your status with your A number and then put the stamp in your passport. Bring your confirmation number with you as well - they may be able to give you a short time I-551 stamp for 6 months rather than the year since you should get your card next month. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

- 2 passport photos

- passport

- I-797 Approval Notice

Yes, take your passport and your I-797 approval notice - something that has your A number listed on it. They check your status with your A number and then put the stamp in your passport. Bring your confirmation number with you as well - they may be able to give you a short time I-551 stamp for 6 months rather than the year since you should get your card next month. Good luck.

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.