The United States of America - my thoughts so far

221 posts in this topic

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

The lack of vacation time does make a difference. You are lucky to get 2 weeks a year off here although I have been lucky in 2 of the 3 jobs I've had in my time of owrking here. But I think in Europe, even the average McDonalds worker gets a month time paid vacation:) ANd as someone said, the transportaton is endless in Europe. You've got cheap air deals such as ryanair taking you from country to country. The train systems there are more emmaculate than our Amtrak and even the busses are better than our Greyhound.

I've actually known people who did not want to travel to another country. Very few and far between you see these narrow minded people, but there really are people who think they can get everything in America and America is the end all be all of civilization so why go anywhere else? Quite sad really.

June 14, 2007 Sent I130 to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

June 15, 2007 Confirmed on usps.com that VSC has received packet

June 29, 2007 Check cashed by USCIS (hey they opened my packet!)

June 30, 2007 Received NOA1

July 7, 2007 I130 touched

July 9, 2007 I130 touched

July 10, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 24, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 26, 2007 I130 touched (stop feeling up my husband's case and get him over here, yala!)

Oct. 1, 2007 On my way to Palestine

Oct. 5, 2007 I130 approved, transferrerd to NVC YAY!!!!

Oct. 16, 2007 Return to US, ranks one of the saddest day of my life:(

Oct. 27, 2007 Agent form/AOS bill received from NVC

Nov 1, 2007 Overnighted AOS payment to NVC

Nov. 29, 2007 Received AOS form from NVC

Dec. 20, 2007 overnighted I864 packet to NVC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Damian, it's not that there's something wrong with being proud of your nationality. I just find it way over the top... I consider NINE flags outside a simple gas station to be unnecessary if nothing else, like a constant reminder that "America is the BEST"... there is a difference between being proud of where you come from and being blindly patriotic, especially seeing the statistic that under 40% of Americans have passports. I know that not all Americans are that way, it's just the perception that people often get when they visit there; that patriotism is running wild, and the reason my fiancee and I find ourselves debating about it is because he doesn't even see it.

Where I live there is a GIANT flagpole with flag at the entrance to the subdivision, then an American flag on Every. Single. Lightpost. And if that's not enough, they're also on their houses. Yeah. OTT.

Let's understand something about the passport issue. America is a HUGE country....Europe can easily fit inside the continuous 48 states. The UK is a relatively small nation close to a conglomerate of small nations, and it is easy and inexpensive for you to hop on a Ryan Air flight and go to France, Italy etc and experience a different culture. It's not so easy...and very expensive to do so here.

While I don't know anything about the passport stats, I do know that the above argument doesn't really fly with me. Canada is much larger than the US, and the Canadians are much more well-travelled than their US neighbours. But I do get your point. I think part of the equation is that multi-culturalism is promoted in Canada, so its citizens love to travel and experience that. Here, not so much. I find the Americans don't really have that desire.... even out of their own State, much less out of the country. It just doesn't seem to appeal to them.

I really honestly believe that most Americans have the desire to travel...most just have given up on the dream. My mom is a perfect example of this. Her biggest dream is to go to Paris and see the Eiffle Tower. My dad promised her for their 20th anniversary they would take a European tour...but they ended up going to Florida. For someone like my mom, international travel is seen as very daunting...I think it is scary to her to go to a place where she isn't familiar with how certain things work. Also, it's a trip in and of itself to get to a large international airport. You could make the same argument for Canada, but according to 2001 Canadian Population Density Map most of the population lives fairly close to cities like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver - I would be curious to see how often someone from Whitehorse, Yukon or a fishing village in Newfoundland gets out to travel. Aside from airports in New York, Chicago, LA, Las Vegas and perhaps Miami/Seattle there really aren't a whole lot of other airports with international flights with the exception of Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. According to the 2000 US Population Density Map the population of the US is a bit more spread out than Canada's. Therefore, there are a lot of Joe Blow's in the South/Midwest/West where just getting to this big cities is difficult enough.

Basically, the perceived lack of disinterest...in my opinion is due to people just not thinking traveling to a far away place is within their realm of possibility. Canadians perhaps don't have that same trepidition for whatever reason.

That's just my theory... :thumbs:

wtf-picard.jpg

Concerning travel to Europe and multiculturalism:

The whole of the UK would fit in my state. I didn't have the opportunity to travel as my parents could only afford to take us camping at state parks. We could drive twelve hours and still be in the state. As an adult I couldn't afford to take my kids to Europe. Rich people were the ones who went to Europe on vacation. People in my part of the US tend to go to Mexico or the Carribbean if they are going to super-splurge on a vacation because it's cheaper. Finally I got to go to Europe, something I had wanted to do forever. So maybe it's not lack of wanting to go to another country, but has something to do with money also. Maybe it's a brainwashed mindset that only rich people go to Europe, but that's what I've experienced. Finally with the 3rd generation (my kids)... they don't go camping. They jet off to the Carribbean, Rome, Spain, UK twice a year, but Grandpa, a shift worker who could only go camping, put aside money from their birth for their education which gave them the jobs to afford it.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I have 2 weeks vacation in the US - in the UK I had almost 6 weeks. Where I currently live, any visit to anywhere outside of North or Central America is 11+ hours (taking up 2 days of the 14 I get annually just to get there). Makes a big difference on deciding where to go on vacation.

90day.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I really honestly believe that most Americans have the desire to travel...most just have given up on the dream. My mom is a perfect example of this. Her biggest dream is to go to Paris and see the Eiffle Tower. My dad promised her for their 20th anniversary they would take a European tour...but they ended up going to Florida. For someone like my mom, international travel is seen as very daunting...I think it is scary to her to go to a place where she isn't familiar with how certain things work. Also, it's a trip in and of itself to get to a large international airport. You could make the same argument for Canada, but according to 2001 Canadian Population Density Map most of the population lives fairly close to cities like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver - I would be curious to see how often someone from Whitehorse, Yukon or a fishing village in Newfoundland gets out to travel. Aside from airports in New York, Chicago, LA, Las Vegas and perhaps Miami/Seattle there really aren't a whole lot of other airports with international flights with the exception of Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. According to the 2000 US Population Density Map the population of the US is a bit more spread out than Canada's. Therefore, there are a lot of Joe Blow's in the South/Midwest/West where just getting to this big cities is difficult enough.

Basically, the perceived lack of disinterest...in my opinion is due to people just not thinking traveling to a far away place is within their realm of possibility. Canadians perhaps don't have that same trepidition for whatever reason.

That's just my theory... :thumbs:

Well.... just like in Canada, the US has domestic airports which feed the international hubs, because, as you say, not everyone lives near one. Remote is remote pretty much everywhere. But I do understand the point you are trying to make.

iagree.gif

I think part of the equation is that multi-culturalism is promoted in Canada, so its citizens love to travel and experience that.

And it's not here? There may be some areas of the U.S. where there is less multi-cultural influence than others - but even in MY state, we have things like Celticfest and Oktoberfest. We have community theatres and interesting stuff like African tribal dance classes. We have SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). We've had lots of historical exhibits travel through, such as the Palaces of St. Petersburg, which enjoyed HUGE success here. We have TONS of Hispanic and Eastern Asian families who move here and thrive, economically. Our University hospital attracts people from all over the globe - my son was treated for a middle ear infection not a few days ago by an Egyptian, and on the way out, I heard two residents speaking rapid German. I'm actually good friends with a native of this area who has modeled for Gucci and Hugo Boss and traveled all over the world, and has recently gotten married and settled down about an hour from here. No less than two years of a foreign language are required to graduate in public schools. I attended a party just this weekend, thrown in honor of a friend of mine - a Puerto Rican with a doctorate in marine biology - coming back from working in Hawaii all summer. The town I grew up in is sister cities with Solleftea, Sweden.

Mind you, ALL of this is just in the small, stereotypically conservative "redneck" state of Mississippi. That's not even touching cultural goldmines like New York, Boston, San Francisco, and so on.

Please stop painting the entirety of America with such a broad brush. I'm not saying you have to outright love EVERY facet of life here - not even lifelong residents do. But it sounds like a few people are truly LOOKING to see the bad things to write home about, so they can say, "Yep, yep, the stereotypes are all true, they're all a bunch of jingoistic, uneducated, culture-less pigs!"

Edited by SterlingGirl

December 22nd, 2008: Legally wed!

March 16th, 2009: AOS package posted via FedEx

March 18th, 2009: AOS package delivered, signed for by J. Chyba

March 24th, 2009: NOA1

March 25th, 2009: Check cashed

March 27th, 2009: NOA1 in hand

April 3rd, 2009: Case transferred to CSC (YES!)

April 9th, 2009: Biometrics

May 6th, 2009: EAD and AP approval notices sent

May 12th, 2009: AOS Touch

May 13th, 2009: AOS Touch, EAD received

June 18th, 2009: CRIS approval email, card production ordered - yes!

June 18th, 2009: Welcome notice mailed

June 22nd, 2009: Welcome notice received

July 2, 2009: Green card received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I imagine the lack of vacation days and sick leave/maternity/paternity here in the US also has an impact on travel. People are probably using them up to take care of personal tasks and so don't have the available time that people in other countries do.

I have 2 weeks vacation in the US - in the UK I had almost 6 weeks. Where I currently live, any visit to anywhere outside of North or Central America is 11+ hours (taking up 2 days of the 14 I get annually just to get there). Makes a big difference on deciding where to go on vacation.

Yeah that compounds the issue too. At least in my company you get 3 sick days to start out with...I know some of the people here with kids basically use up all their sick time and vacation time on their kids various illnesses or school activities etc.

I'd love to travel to places other than Ireland/UK (the only other countries I've traveled to is Canada and France) but basically all my vacation time is used either going to see Nicky's family or going back to Nebraska to see my family. I'm going to try to save a few days in the next few years too as we are talking about going to South Africa in 2010 or 2011.

wtf-picard.jpg

I think part of the equation is that multi-culturalism is promoted in Canada, so its citizens love to travel and experience that.

And it's not here? There may be some areas of the U.S. where there is less multi-cultural influence than others - but even in MY state, we have things like Celticfest and Oktoberfest. We have community theatres and interesting stuff like African tribal dance classes. We have SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). We've had lots of historical exhibits travel through, such as the Palaces of St. Petersburg, which enjoyed HUGE success here. We have TONS of Hispanic and Eastern Asian families who move here and thrive, economically. Our University hospital attracts people from all over the globe - my son was treated for a middle ear infection not a few days ago by an Egyptian, and on the way out, I heard two residents speaking rapid German. I'm actually good friends with a native of this area who has modeled for Gucci and Hugo Boss and traveled all over the world, and has recently gotten married and settled down about an hour from here. No less than two years of a foreign language are required to graduate in public schools. I attended a party just this weekend, thrown in honor of a friend of mine - a Puerto Rican with a doctorate in marine biology - coming back from working in Hawaii all summer. The town I grew up in is sister cities with Solleftea, Sweden.

Mind you, ALL of this is just in the small, stereotypically conservative "redneck" state of Mississippi. That's not even touching cultural goldmines like New York, Boston, San Francisco, and so on.

Please stop painting the entirety of America with such a broad brush. I'm not saying you have to outright love EVERY facet of life here - not even lifelong residents do. But it sounds like a few people are truly LOOKING to see the bad things to write home about, so they can say, "Yep, yep, the stereotypes are all true, they're all a bunch of jingoistic, uneducated, culture-less pigs!"

Wow. Settle down SterlingGirl. I said "I think." I was trying to come up with some thoughts as to why US citizens don't travel to other countries.

And, now, I'm going to bow out of this formerly nice conversation. Americans get far too angry when you try to discuss issues like this because, for some reason, they take it personally and go on the offensive. I'll say no more.

iagree.gif

And, now, I'm going to bow out of this formerly nice conversation. Americans get far too angry when you try to discuss issues like this because, for some reason, they take it personally and go on the offensive. I'll say no more.

And quotes like this are exactly why. Nothing about my post was irate or meanspirited - it was meant to pose an example. I think the "why" has been more than eloquently stated; we tend to have far less vacation time than most, and when we DO have it, we don't often have the money to do extensive world traveling. And yet, that didn't seem to be plausible enough - again, because I think there are stereotypes that all Americans are just rolling in the money (when really, most of them are in debt trying to keep up appearances) - so it must be because America doesn't promote multi-culturalism "like Canada does".

Therefore, I offered you a few examples that exist just within the tiny, often-misunderstood state of Mississippi, not even the huge, globally-recognized states like California.

And yet, when I do that, I am supposedly going on the offensive - as you seem to believe all Americans tend to do. What exactly about my post was offensive to you, other than rebutting an assumption?

Edited by SterlingGirl

December 22nd, 2008: Legally wed!

March 16th, 2009: AOS package posted via FedEx

March 18th, 2009: AOS package delivered, signed for by J. Chyba

March 24th, 2009: NOA1

March 25th, 2009: Check cashed

March 27th, 2009: NOA1 in hand

April 3rd, 2009: Case transferred to CSC (YES!)

April 9th, 2009: Biometrics

May 6th, 2009: EAD and AP approval notices sent

May 12th, 2009: AOS Touch

May 13th, 2009: AOS Touch, EAD received

June 18th, 2009: CRIS approval email, card production ordered - yes!

June 18th, 2009: Welcome notice mailed

June 22nd, 2009: Welcome notice received

July 2, 2009: Green card received!

And quotes like this are exactly why. Nothing about my post was irate or meanspirited - it was meant to pose an example. I think the "why" has been more than eloquently stated; we tend to have far less vacation time than most, and when we DO have it, we don't often have the money to do extensive world traveling. And yet, that didn't seem to be plausible enough - again, because I think there are stereotypes that all Americans are just rolling in the money (when really, most of them are in debt trying to keep up appearances) - so it must be because America doesn't promote multi-culturalism "like Canada does".

Therefore, I offered you a few examples that exist just within the tiny, often-misunderstood state of Mississippi, not even the huge, globally-recognized states like California.

And yet, when I do that, I am supposedly going on the offensive - as you seem to believe all Americans tend to do. What exactly about my post was offensive to you, other than rebutting an assumption?

If you'd care to notice, *I* was the one who offered the possible reason you have mentioned and I have bolded. You are most definitely angry and on the offensive.

iagree.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure why this discussion has to get heated, aside from Saywhat's potentially provocative initial comments. I think it's absurd to paint the US with the same brush, even internally things are different from one part to the other. I've spent a month or so in FL and now, a decade later, I live in Iowa. Completely different places.

I think the important bit to remember is that it's all opinion, hopefully based on experience and not conjecture. I've been meaning to do a big US vs UK comparison for a while now (not here, elsewhere, although a lot of the interesting points I've encountered have been flagged up in this thread already). Hopefully it'll be interesting, but the intention won't be serve as critique.

The US isn't a step up from the UK, it's just a fascinating side step.

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

sounds like your stereo typing - I have travelled for variety of reasons and have a very healthy functioning liver ( as do many of my friends and colleagues). There are a group of people who travel abroad - usually young people who think a holiday is about getting drunk all night and then sleep off the hangover by the pool for most of the day.... however I dont think that is limited entirely to the British as much as people like to think of it as the "British disease"

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/edinburgh-fringe...s%20Sent%20Home

I do understand though that the lack of Holiday entitlement for the average american employee and costs can be prohibitive for americans travelling abroad - especially with the dollar's performance against other currencies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.