shannon65

beneficiary's debt and visa interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I am really distraught and frustrated here...my fiance's application was approved quickly and all the paperwork is done....but he has a $5000 debt that his wife left when she died...the credit company filed legal action against him yesterday and he had to go to the police station....he says he can't go on an interview at the embassy until this is cleared up. I was under the impression that the American embassy did not care about the non-USC's debts, but if the police are involved, and he has to bring a police certificate, maybe it's another story....I'm really upset.

Shannon 명철

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

his wife? Is he still married?

I am really distraught and frustrated here...my fiance's application was approved quickly and all the paperwork is done....but he has a $5000 debt that his wife left when she died...the credit company filed legal action against him yesterday and he had to go to the police station....he says he can't go on an interview at the embassy until this is cleared up. I was under the impression that the American embassy did not care about the non-USC's debts, but if the police are involved, and he has to bring a police certificate, maybe it's another story....I'm really upset.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My debts never came up through the whole K-1 process, even at the interview (I'm the beneficiary). You wouldn't have a problem with the fact that your fiance has debts, but if the police are involved somehow, I'm not sure how that would show up on a police report. What would the "charges" be? Not sure, so hopefully someone else with experience with this will be able to answer you.

Good luck.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Hm, it definitley sounds like the credit card company/police there are treating this as a criminal matter which is why you'll be running into trouble. So it's not having the debt, it's not taking care of it? Am I understanding that correctly? I'm sorry I can't help - I suppose Korea has different laws because I can't understand why having debt would involve the police.

Edited by Joey559

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

found this on a web site about Korean law:

Can you bring a criminal action against a defendant to force him or her to pay back the money not paid?

In certain fact patterns, you may be able to bring a criminal action against the defendant. Practically speaking, a criminal action may be more effective to force the defendant to pay back the money or go to jail.

So apparently it's true they can go to the police for unpaid debt

Shannon 명철

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

She said, his wife died and left the debt.

Sorry for you troubles Shannon. I hope you get it straightened out soon.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

that his wife left when she died.....

09-14-2010 Boston's biggest ceremony of naturalization, I'm a citizen now! :)

1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.