Asha+Joy=Love

sister wants to come for a visit

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hey all,

Hope someone here can help me out on this one... so i just received a phone call from my sister in India that she wants to visit the US later this year. She's not looking to emigrate. She's got a good job with the UN back home in India and is financially secure. She just wants a temporary tourist visa (B visa if I'm not mistaken) .. She wants me to sponsor her to make the visa process easier and faster..I'm a conditional green card holder here for little over a year have a pretty good job here as well.. I can give her all the documents that the embassy requires ( here's what they want http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/nivbvisas.html)

So my question to the wise is, as a conditional permanent resident, can I legally sponsor a relative for a 'temporary' visit as a tourist?

Hopefully someone can help me figure out this one. So far I've not seen any information that says I can't but wanted to make sure before I sent off a little packet full of my 'progress report' back home..

Thanks!

14 July 05 - "wow! now THAT is a first kiss"

23 March 06 - "let's get married!"

22 August 06 - "here we go, I129F for K1 to NSC today"

13 January 07 - "Visa in hand!!"

02 March 07 - Joy "I Do!" Judge "what about you?" Asha "Me Too!" Judge "OK then, you're married!!"

13 April 07 - "Uncle Sam, here's the papers."

21 June 07 - "application transferred to CSC, Yippie!"

07 July 07 - "why yes, that is a conditional Permanent Resident card in my hand!"

08 April 09 - will file to lift conditions

usaCa.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

There is nothing you can do that will guarrantee her getting a tourist visa. What you can do is write a letter of invitation saying that you will be financially responsible for her trip or that you're inviting her to come visit for whaterver reason. She may then show this letter to the consul the day of the interview and it might make a difference. But in all actuality what matters most is whether she can prove that she has all the reasons in the world to go back to her native country after her trip.

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• 3 weeks later...

When my family applied, I had my husband (the USC) fill out the I-134. They were approved and given 10 year multiple entry visas. The form seems to allow permanent residents to sponsor relatives, so you should be fine.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-134.pdf

Timeline for Naturalization:

Day 1: Application delivered to AZ

Timeline for Removing Conditions:

Green card received 117 days after application was delivered to USCIS

Timeline for AOS:

Green card received 120 days after application was delivered to USCIS

Timeline

It still doesn't guarrantee anything. I've known of people who have brought it to the interview and the consul didn't even ask or care to see it. It's always a gamble.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If she is coming as a tourist, it is her responsibility to convince the US consulate in India that she will come back. You have NOTHING to do about that...They want to see her strong ties with India then the support that she may get from you. Actually having someone in the US is a negative factor if she cant convince them of her intention to go back.

Good luck

If you can't change your mind, are you sure you still have one?

03/07/2013 N-400(Marriage based)mailed to Dallas,TX office
03/14/2013 Check cashed
03/13/2013 NOA
04/05/2013 Biometrics(done)
04/09/2013 In line for the interview

05/29/2013 Interview

06/14/2013 Oath letter

08/07/2013 Oath ceremony (5 months since application)

08/07/2013 A US citizen!

December 2013 U.S. Passport and new Social Security card in hand!

My Facebook page for teaching English: https://www.facebook.com/EnglishForMoroccansNow/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
When my family applied, I had my husband (the USC) fill out the I-134. They were approved and given 10 year multiple entry visas. The form seems to allow permanent residents to sponsor relatives, so you should be fine.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-134.pdf

No such thing as sponship for a Visitor Visa.

Better if she has assets to support herself.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I was in no way implying that sponsorship alone would guarantee a visitor visa - I apologize if my statements were misconstrued. I was merely affirming that as a permanent resident the OP could submit the form.

And I believe this form is specifically for non-immigrant visas like the B-1 and F-1 and the "sponsor" takes responsibility for the visa applicant's return to their country.

Timeline for Naturalization:

Day 1: Application delivered to AZ

Timeline for Removing Conditions:

Green card received 117 days after application was delivered to USCIS

Timeline for AOS:

Green card received 120 days after application was delivered to USCIS

Timeline
I was in no way implying that sponsorship alone would guarantee a visitor visa - I apologize if my statements were misconstrued. I was merely affirming that as a permanent resident the OP could submit the form.

And I believe this form is specifically for non-immigrant visas like the B-1 and F-1 and the "sponsor" takes responsibility for the visa applicant's return to their country.

See, this is one thing that baffles me about COs granting or denying tourist visas. My parents sent a letter of invitation with a notarized I-134 for two of my cousins, they were in college, no employment and were granted their visas as soon as the CO saw that my parents were US citizens and had sent them those documents. Then I did the same for another cousin of mine, I'm a US citizen and make double of what my parents made combined and the guy didn't give a flying hoot about it, so his visa was denied.

Who knows what they smoke in there 'cause I will never figure it out. :whistle:

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Even if you were with them at the Consulate you have no way of knowing what decided one application versus another.

We can guess, but its nothing more than that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
Hey all,

Hope someone here can help me out on this one... so i just received a phone call from my sister in India that she wants to visit the US later this year. She's not looking to emigrate. She's got a good job with the UN back home in India and is financially secure. She just wants a temporary tourist visa (B visa if I'm not mistaken) .. She wants me to sponsor her to make the visa process easier and faster..I'm a conditional green card holder here for little over a year have a pretty good job here as well.. I can give her all the documents that the embassy requires ( here's what they want http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/nivbvisas.html)

So my question to the wise is, as a conditional permanent resident, can I legally sponsor a relative for a 'temporary' visit as a tourist?

Hopefully someone can help me figure out this one. So far I've not seen any information that says I can't but wanted to make sure before I sent off a little packet full of my 'progress report' back home..

Thanks!

she should go to the indian embassy and ask for a visitors visa and she should present her good job incase they think she is coming to the usa to live as an illegal and have children. its been done. she should show that india is important to her she has a house a job and she is only visiting.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.