Valli

New and panicking

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I don't even know if I'm in the right area for this, but I'm getting discouraged.

I'm a USC, my husband a UKC. We are waiting for his interview to be scheduled and have collected all documents he needs in the meantime for an immigrant visa to the United States.

Here is where I'm totally lost.

I worked in 2005, but did not make nearly enough money to file taxes. So I didn't file. My step-dad, who is our co-sponsor, told me that I didn't have to file, so I just never worried about it. Since I moved to the UK in 2006, I haven't worked, so of course, didn't file taxes for the past 2 years.

I've been doing a once over for everything to make sure he has all the documents, and I'm now wondering if I was supposed to file taxes even though I haven't worked since 2006, and didn't make enough to file for 2005. If I was TOLD by the IRS that I DIDN'T HAVE to file in 2005, I never got any of that information. I guess I thought it was just a given. (I'm not very experienced with filing taxes, and IRS and all that, as you can tell.)

My step-dad who is the co-sponsor, makes more than enough over the poverty guideline and has attached all tax returns, pay stubs, and W2's for himself, and even has a letter from his employer.

I, myself, have written a letter saying that I have not filed taxes since 2005 for the reasons I've stated above.

Is this good enough? Or do I need to file? And if so, what exactly do I file? We were hoping to be moved to the states in the beginning of September for personal reasons which are very important to us, but now I'm getting discouraged. My visa for the UK will either have to be renewed for good (too expensive to do), or I have to be out of here by Sept. 7. (By the way, I know I can move back to the U.S. without him if I have to.)

Thanks to anyone who got this far and is willing to help us out.

As far as taxes go, living abroad does not exempt you from filing. My husband had to file late returns when we found out about this nifty regulation (we both lived in Canada when we did DCF) :angry: -- although I have heard from folks who submit a letter like the one you mentioned. I guess you can do both - but I am sure someone else with more accurate information will respond

I know it doesn't exempt me, but it was more the fact that I haven't worked at all since I've been here. I didn't know if I'd still have to do anything because I haven't worked.

Neither did my husband as a grad student; but he filed late anyway. I guess you could begin the late filings and in the meanwhile be ready with your letter stating why you were not required to file. Better safe than sorry.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Unless you make above a certain minimum, there is no requirement to file.

That minimum is printed every year on the instructions for the 1040, and available on the IRS website. It would take you at least 5 minutes to find that amount.

If you did not file, just write a letter explaining that you had no requirement to file.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Well, I just did more research and the only thing I can find about filing taxes on low or no income is ONLY if you want to qualify for economic stimulus payments. But I can't find anything that says "If you didn't work, you still must file taxes", etc. I don't know why you'd have to file anyway if you've earned absolutely $0.00. This just can't be easy...

I'll definitely stick with my letter stating I didn't file taxes, etc. I'm also attaching a W2 for the year I did work showing that I didn't make enough money... so who knows. *sigh*

EDIT: Ok, thank you, desert_fox

Edited by Valli

Well, I just did more research and the only thing I can find about filing taxes on low or no income is ONLY if you want to qualify for economic stimulus payments. But I can't find anything that says "If you didn't work, you still must file taxes", etc. I don't know why you'd have to file anyway if you've earned absolutely $0.00. This just can't be easy...

I'll definitely stick with my letter stating I didn't file taxes, etc. I'm also attaching a W2 for the year I did work showing that I didn't make enough money... so who knows. *sigh*

EDIT: Ok, thank you, desert_fox

This is correct. When you haven't made income, there's no need to file a return.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

As far as taxes go, living abroad does not exempt you from filing. My husband had to file late returns when we found out about this nifty regulation (we both lived in Canada when we did DCF) :angry: -- although I have heard from folks who submit a letter like the one you mentioned. I guess you can do both - but I am sure someone else with more accurate information will respond

You're right that living abroad doesn't exempt a USC from filing, but it's still the same rules as living in the US - ie, if you haven't made above a certain threshold (which I can never remember, something like $4,000), you don't have to file a return. :)

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

If you do not have any income at all, you are not required to file. The minimum for an individual (depending on your age is roughly $8500- not exact).

If it were me, I would go to the tax preparer that you (or your father) ordinarily would use and let them type up a letter and have it notarized at the same time. Just a little more official.

Good luck!!

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.

~John Fitzgerald Kennedy~

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there."

~Jalal ad-Din Rumi~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As the others said, no need to file if you have no income, my husband has the same issue as he never found work here in Ireland. Here is the letter we are using:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am M Penguin, Penguin's husband and petitioning sponsor. I did not file an income tax return for the years 2005, 2006 or 2007 because I have not worked during my 3 year residence within the Republic of Ireland. Once I came to Ireland, I was unable to find work and so used savings; I was maintained by my wife upon her income and savings. Since I made no income for these years of any type, I was not required to file an income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service.

Sincerely, Mr Penguin.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Had my interview today and can confirm that the above letter works :)

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Wonderful! Thank you so much! :)

Hi Valli,

I'm doing DCF in Ankara, Turkey. I've lived in Turkey for 4 years and haven't worked, so, therefore, have not (needed) to file taxes.

On the US Embassy website for Turkey it said that if I had not filed taxes for the last 3 taxible years that I needed to prepare a statement. I prepared a letter like so:

Date

To whom it may concern/Dear Madam or Sir of Immigrations, etc:

I, xxxx, hereby verify that I have not filed taxes for the year(s) 2005, 2006 and 2007 because I have been unemployed abroad. Attached you will find my I-864 along with my father xxxxxxx's I-864 form, W2 and 1040 forms for the last taxible year.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX

I-130 Petitioner for Beneficiary XXXXXXX

Hope this helps! :)

*´¨)

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ *wE WiLL oVeRCoMe*

*Our DCF Timeline*

Ankara, Turkey

Moved to Turkey: 8/18/04

Got married: 11/21/06

Sent I-130: 7/24/08

Appointment letter: 8/11/08

Interview date: 8/20/08

Visa approval: 08/20/08 - THANK YOU JESUS THANKYOU!!!!!

Visa in hand: ????????????????????? Soon we hope!

Total 27 days from I-130 to visa approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.