irishgalinabq

do you have to be married for a long time to do DCF?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi guys,

Well, I am starting my visa journey and all of the posts on here have been a big help. My fiance and I are getting married next month here in Australia. He is the USC and I am Irish. We lived together in Baltimore, MD (I was on a H1B) and then in February of this year moved to Australia. Now, my fiance's company has invited him to come back to the USA in February so we are making plans for that. Our plan is to get married in Sydney next month and then do DCF here at the Sydney office. I have noticed that most of the DCF applicants have been married for a long time. Do you know if there is any limitation on the length of time you must be married before applying for DCF? We were hoping to start the process right after the wedding. Please let me know if you have read anything else here in our story that may preclude us from DCF.

Thank you

:)

Started stressing about visa: From once we decided to move back to the USA

Marriage:20-9-08 :)

I-130 filed at Sydney Consulate: 9-10-08

Applied for Irish police certificate: 10-10-08

Irish police certificate received: 14-10-08

Packet 3 received: 16-10-08

Mailed DS 230 I & II: 16-10-08

Went to local doctor to get immunity levels checked:17-10-08

Made appointment for medical: 17-10-08

Medical: 28-10-08

Posted packet 3: 3-11-08

Applied for Aussie Police certificate: 20-11-08

(Bit of a delay here due to us living in a very ghetto part of Sydney. They could only take fingerprints if they didn't have a suspect in custody. Unfortunately for me, every day I went in, someone was in the slammer. Oh, the joys!)

Received appointment date: 24-11-08

Email requested extra information about husbands income in USA and Aussie police certificate. Also told me to bring US sized passport photo, passport, the money to pay and a 3Kg express post envelope

Appointment Day: 16-12-08

Green card approved but on hold until they receive origional Aussie police certificate: 16-12-08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As far as I know, it has nothing to do with how long you are married (though you must be married- cannot do fiancee visa DCF), but the USC spouse must be legally resident in the country for at least 6 months. So, assuming your USC partner is in Australia legally resident and not just on a tourist visa, you could get married now and then start DCF right away.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Penguin is right. The only time frame that counts is how long the USC has been resident in the country where you want to file.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

As long you have resided in the same city where the consulate is located. It makes you eligible for DCF.

How long you are married is just for classification as CR1 or IR1.

Marriage

First Meeting in China: 09-2003

BF/GF: 05-2004

Marriage: 01-12-2006 (marriage licenses)

Wedding Cermony: 02-2007 (parents and sister came from the US to attend)

Petition Process - DCF

GUZ walk-in/submitted I-130: 04-25-2008

I-130 approval: 07-01-2008

GUZ sent Approval: 07-08-2008

Received Approval: 07-11-2008 (Wife's category is IR1)

IV Process - DCF

GUZ sent P-3: 07-08-2008

P-3 received: 07-11-2008

P-3 Forms submitted: 10-23-2008

GUZ received P-3 Forms: 10-24-2008

GUZ sent P-4: 11-21-2008

P-4 received: 11-22-2008

Medical Exam:11-24-2008

Interview scheduled for: 12-01-2008

Interview Results: PINK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
As long you have resided in the same city where the consulate is located. It makes you eligible for DCF.

That is incorrect, it only has to be the same country, not the same city :)

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hello there!

I married my husband about two months ago in El Salvador, and did DCF about ten days ago. We wanted to file right away as well, but we had to run around because of problems with his birth certificate.

I was asked to provide proof of residence for at least six months in El Salvador, which I did not even think I had to prove because I had been living here for about a year and a half. But the lady said my passport travel was not ´reliable´as proof of my residence. So I provided documents from school, mail I received during that period, bank accounts and other government transactions I performed while there like getting an ID etc. to prove I had been here during that time as a resident and not just visiting.

Hope this helps.

Nydia Y Neftaly (NYN)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yep! You are right: "Not city but country". My error.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Marriage

First Meeting in China: 09-2003

BF/GF: 05-2004

Marriage: 01-12-2006 (marriage licenses)

Wedding Cermony: 02-2007 (parents and sister came from the US to attend)

Petition Process - DCF

GUZ walk-in/submitted I-130: 04-25-2008

I-130 approval: 07-01-2008

GUZ sent Approval: 07-08-2008

Received Approval: 07-11-2008 (Wife's category is IR1)

IV Process - DCF

GUZ sent P-3: 07-08-2008

P-3 received: 07-11-2008

P-3 Forms submitted: 10-23-2008

GUZ received P-3 Forms: 10-24-2008

GUZ sent P-4: 11-21-2008

P-4 received: 11-22-2008

Medical Exam:11-24-2008

Interview scheduled for: 12-01-2008

Interview Results: PINK

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Penguin is right. The only time frame that counts is how long the USC has been resident in the country where you want to file.

Since the OP is Irish and wants to DCF in Australia, it will also matter that both meet the Consulate's residence requirements.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

What kind of visa are you and your fiance here on? Here is the Sydney consulate's DCF residency requirement:

Under the revised procedures for filing petitions outside of the U.S., embassies and consulates may resume accepting I-130 petitions from American citizen petitioners who have maintained continuous residency in the consular district a minimum of the preceding six months. Petitioners must be able to show that they have permission to reside in the consular district and that they have been doing so for at least six months before filing the petition.

Exceptions to the petitioner’s residency abroad requirement can be made only in cases of true emergency such as life and death or health and safety or when in the national interest. Examples would include minor children who would be unexpectedly left without a caretaker. Family reunification or new marriages alone are not emergencies. Examples of national interest include facilitating the travel of United States military and other U.S. government direct hire employees assigned overseas who are pending imminent transfer on orders and need to petition their spouse and minor children at posts overseas. Individuals who are in Australia on a temporary status, such as student or tourist, would not be considered to meet the residency standard.

All lawful permanent residents, and American citizens’ resident in the United States or with a permanent address in the United States, will file the I-130 petitions at the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over their place of residence as indicated on the USCIS website: HYPERLINK "http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130.pdf" http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130.pdf

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.