Carolyn

Male Circumcision

103 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all,

I do not yet know if I'm having a boy or girl, but my husband and I have been talking about circumcision just in case. At first we talked about just getting it done here at the hospital, but now he is saying he would like to wait and have it done in Morocco with a big ceremony, etc.

While I love the idea of going to Morocco to visit and spend time with his family, I do have some concerns about the circumcision there...

First of all--is it hygenic? Simo told me that he had his done when he was 4 years old (ouch!) and they used a scissors! He remembers that day very vividly...

Second, how long should one wait to have it done? Tickets to Morocco, at least during the high seasons, are ridiculously expensive right now, and I don't see us coming into any large sums of money soon (lottery, anyone?). I can imagine it taking us at least a year or two to have enough money to travel.

Third, do they use anesthesia/some sort of a local painkiller? I would hate to see my babe in pain...

I'm sure there are other questions I haven't thought of yet. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. I may be thinking about this unnecessarily (if we have a girl), but I'm sure others have dealt with this issue.

Shukran bezzef,

Carolyn

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't have any advice about Morocco but we had our baby boy circumcised at just a little over 24 hours old and he had no problems. I would hate to have to wait longer but best wishes on whatever you do and I hope you find some good advice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband's sister had her son circumcised at a clinic and it was done by a doctor last summer. He was about 18 months I think. My husband was 4 or 5 when he went through it. I cannot even imagine at that age! :blink:

"True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment. This inner alignment with Now is the end of suffering. Is suffering really necessary? Yes and no. If you had not suffered as you have, there would be no depth to you as a human being, no humility, no compassion. You would not be reading this now. Suffering cracks open the shell of ego, and then comes a point when it has served its purpose. Suffering is necessary until you realize it is unnecessary." Eckhart Tolle

usmorocco-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I think asap is the best. My son had it as soon as he was out of the NICU. He was 3 days old. Sorry I dont have anymore advise.

Congrats on your pregnancy by the way!

Lisa

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

i would not wait any longer than you have to...they use a numbing cream in the hospital while they do it, but, you do have to care for it for a few days after it is done without meds and i know it is very sensitive for the baby...

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi all,

I do not yet know if I'm having a boy or girl, but my husband and I have been talking about circumcision just in case. At first we talked about just getting it done here at the hospital, but now he is saying he would like to wait and have it done in Morocco with a big ceremony, etc.

While I love the idea of going to Morocco to visit and spend time with his family, I do have some concerns about the circumcision there...

First of all--is it hygenic? Simo told me that he had his done when he was 4 years old (ouch!) and they used a scissors! He remembers that day very vividly...

Second, how long should one wait to have it done? Tickets to Morocco, at least during the high seasons, are ridiculously expensive right now, and I don't see us coming into any large sums of money soon (lottery, anyone?). I can imagine it taking us at least a year or two to have enough money to travel.

Third, do they use anesthesia/some sort of a local painkiller? I would hate to see my babe in pain...

I'm sure there are other questions I haven't thought of yet. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. I may be thinking about this unnecessarily (if we have a girl), but I'm sure others have dealt with this issue.

Shukran bezzef,

Carolyn

HI Carolyn,

This is the exact same question that has come up in conversations as our time nears too. I will tell you that when I was there last summer, my other sons are not circumcised and they had inquired on how to get it done with a huge ceremony and party (any excuse for that) from a peds doctor there in Morocco that would come to the house. Of course I just gave them the look as if no one is touching my son's privates if they want to live. Any doctor will tell you the younger the better. Less memory of the procedure and pain. Hospitals typical will perform right after birth. Check with your peds doc on how they normally go about with this just in case. My doc doesn't recommend for it to be done in the hospital but in his office he is particular about his patients and has lots of expereince in even doing the procedures in homes when requested (for religious reasons). Good luck with what you decide!

Samira and Jaouad

K3 and AOS

8-13-07: Sent package with I-129F to CSC overnight

9-25-07: NOA 1 recv

3-04-08: Approval Notice Sent

5-15-08:Interview Date

07-28-08:Visa Received (AP Hell 73 days)

08-02-08:US Entry (K-3)

08-05-08: Sent EAD package to CSC

12-07-08: Finally recvd EAD

04-20-09: AOS sent

07-23-09: AOS Interview-APPROVED!

Next file for Naturalization!

.png

and our family keeps growing and growing.....

x5Kpm8.png

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband can also still remember it being done when he was about 4. Not a pleasant memory....

I had my son circumsized in the hospital, I think it was the day after he was born. I think its unnecessarily traumatic when they are older. Carolyn, your husband may feel differently once he has his tiny baby in hand. Its easier to conjecture about what you might do before you are hit with the overwhelming feelings of parenthood - the desire to protect from any pain. He may decide that some numbing cream and a very short memory are the better way to go...

by the way, are you getting super excited or what? I cant believe you only have a month!!! I cant wait to see the official BABY post - I'll be watching :)

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

do you realy think you could enjoy a party right after your son gets circumsized? i doubt it. My wife took our son to have it done 2 weeks ago, he is 6 years old. she is in P.I. and I U.S. I can tell you she was a wreck, didn't sleep for 2 days and cried for 2 more. typicaly the boys will stay at home and not go out for at least 4 or 5 days, coz they will wear a dress of some sort. pants would be unbearable to wear. its not 1,2,3, and its over! you must make sure it is cleaned and does not try to heal the wrong way. or he will go through more unnessesary procedures. which also is painful. do everyone involved a huge favor, and do it A.S.A.P. WHEN HE IS AN INFANT. my son got his choice of Whatever toy he wanted.we felt awful about it. my wife and I wanted it done. but there is a steep price to pay for waiting....good luck... hope this helped

2008-03-03 : I-130 Sent

2008-03-03 : I-130 NOA1

2008-05-08 : Touched

2008-10-16 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-03-27 : I-129F Sent

2008-03-31 : I-129F NOA1

2008-04-24 : Touched

2008-10-03 : Touched

2008-10-05 : Touched

2008-10-06 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-10-22 : NVC Receive

2008-10-24 : NVC Left

2008-10-30 : USEM Receive

2008-11-10 : Wife's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-01 : Son's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-19 : USEM Interview - PASSED

2009-01-14 : VISA RECEIVED

2009-01-25 : US Entry (JFK)

Timeline

My husband has vague memories of having it done. We saw a ceremony recently on an Arabic channel, don't remember which one or which country. The boys were older and the families were holding them down while they struggled. The families were really celebrating, and they very nearly showed an actual circumcision on the program. I've heard the boys get a lot of gifts and positive attention that may help with the trauma, but I'd still want it done just after birth when the baby wasn't aware of what was going on and would feel less pain. My husband told me it is often done in the hospital in Morocco now, and last time we talked, he said he'd be fine with having it done at birth, not that that is likely to be an issue for us any time soon.

Maybe it would be possible to have it done in a doctor's office at infancy and still have the party and whatever religious ceremony might go along with it? Perhaps there is a Muslim pediatrician nearby who could suggest a compromise that your husband would accept.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
My husband says he remembers it very well and he was 8!!!! He's always said if we had a boy, he would be circumcised shortly after he's born.

:thumbs: good idea for when adam and I have a son in the future... the sooner the better... I havent been convinced of one good thing coming from doing it later on... just seems more for other peoples celebration which is the wrong reason to do it to begin with .... its all about the child and should be done as soon as possible in my opinion!

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline

This may sound like a strange idea, but we are in the Internet age after all. Would it be possible for his family in Morocco to have the party, you have the procedure and a party here in the U.S. at the same time, and you all link up via webcam? Our office does videoconferences on a 50-inch screen, and it's a little bit like having everyone in the same room. You could save the money on plane tickets and rent whatever video equipment you might need in both countries.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Maybe it would be possible to have it done in a doctor's office at infancy and still have the party and whatever religious ceremony might go along with it? Perhaps there is a Muslim pediatrician nearby who could suggest a compromise that your husband would accept.

My sister-in-law (in Morocco) took her son to a clinic to have it done by a doctor (her son was 18 months old-still too old in my opinion) and then they had the huge celebration later...catering, a DJ, dancing, SIL changed dresses many times, her son was dressed in a little outfit with a Fez hat (sooooooooo cute), video guy, etc. Those celebrations wear me out just sitting there and watching them.

"True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment. This inner alignment with Now is the end of suffering. Is suffering really necessary? Yes and no. If you had not suffered as you have, there would be no depth to you as a human being, no humility, no compassion. You would not be reading this now. Suffering cracks open the shell of ego, and then comes a point when it has served its purpose. Suffering is necessary until you realize it is unnecessary." Eckhart Tolle

usmorocco-1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

young as possible, doubt the child will really feel like a party to celebrate his pain

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.