doodlebugg

ramadan and hajj stuffs

147 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Can't wait for ramadan either! This will be my first one (I did not participate last year) and I will be alone ...Ramadan 09 hubby and I will share it and that should be interesting. I still can't find the perfect recipe for haraira tho. Wish I paid more attention to my mother in laws exact recipe and technique ......Anyone want to share :) ?

I would like a tried and true one too! I looked in the sultan's kitchen thread that's pinned up above but I couldn't find one. My hubby's never heard of it but I want to try it out this weekend for a practice run just to make sure he likes it.

I have tried to make it 3 times with different recipe's and it never tastes as good as his mom's. She is the best cook EVER I swear this! Her's reminded me a bit of my grandmothers minestrone only very fine textured. Maybe I will try to create my own mixing grandma's recipe and his mom's hahaha....My mouth is watering now....

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

HARIRA (my adapted version - just eyeball the amounts, I never use a measuring spoon!)

Ingredients:

1 lb. lamb (in small pieces - but don't remove fat or bones)

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

2 Tablespoons butter

3/4 cup chopped celery and leaves

2 onions, chopped

1/2 cup parsley and cilantro, chopped

1 2-lb. can of tomatoes, chopped

salt

3/4 cup lentils

1 cup chickpeas (canned are fine)

1/4 cup fine soup noodles

2 eggs, beaten with the juice of 1/2 lemon

Directions:

Put the spices, butter, celery, onion, and parsley/cilantro in a large soup pot and stir over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes. Salt lightly. Remove mixture and puree in the blender and return to pot.

Sautee the lamb in the butter until cooked through, then add to the pot (butter and all) along with 7 cups of water, and the lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 2 hours.

When ready to serve, add the chickpeas and noodles and cook for 5 minutes. Then, with the soup at a steady simmer, stir the lemony eggs into the stock with a long wooden spoon. Continue stirring slowly, to create long egg strands and to thicken the soup. Season to taste. Ladle into bowls and dust with cinnamon.

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
HARIRA (my adapted version - just eyeball the amounts, I never use a measuring spoon!)

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

2 Tablespoons butter

2 onions, chopped

salt

3/4 cup lentils

Directions:

Put the spices, butter, celery, onion, and parsley/cilantro in a large soup pot and stir over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes. Salt lightly. Remove mixture and puree in the blender and return to pot.

Sautee the lamb in the butter until cooked through, then add to the pot (butter and all) along with 7 cups of water, and the lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 2 hours.

When ready to serve, add the chickpeas and noodles and cook for 5 minutes. Then, with the soup at a steady simmer, stir the lemony eggs into the stock with a long wooden spoon. Continue stirring slowly, to create long egg strands and to thicken the soup. Season to taste. Ladle into bowls and dust with cinnamon.

Ok I'm gonna show my ignorance here.............how do I cut the lamb into pieces if the bone is still on it? :unsure:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

2 Tablespoons butter

2 onions, chopped

salt

3/4 cup lentils

Directions:

Ok I'm gonna show my ignorance here.............how do I cut the lamb into pieces if the bone is still on it? :unsure:

I was going to say you can just cut around it, but I dont buy leg of lamb if that is what you are referring to, i only buy shoulder chops or boneless etc. if you use shoulder chops you can cut around hte little bones into bite size and still have the bone to suck out the marrow - YUM!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

2 Tablespoons butter

2 onions, chopped

salt

3/4 cup lentils

Directions:

I was going to say you can just cut around it, but I dont buy leg of lamb if that is what you are referring to, i only buy shoulder chops or boneless etc. if you use shoulder chops you can cut around hte little bones into bite size and still have the bone to suck out the marrow - YUM!

Thanks! I have only bought rack of lamb, lamb shank and ground lamb so I'm new at this. lol.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

2 Tablespoons butter

2 onions, chopped

salt

3/4 cup lentils

Directions:

This sounds yummy!!

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.

~John Fitzgerald Kennedy~

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there."

~Jalal ad-Din Rumi~

Timeline

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

2 Tablespoons butter

2 onions, chopped

salt

3/4 cup lentils

Directions:

Thanks! I have only bought rack of lamb, lamb shank and ground lamb so I'm new at this. lol.

OK - I definately wouldnt use ground lamb, and I would save rack of lamb for a fancier dish! Lamb shank might give the soup good flavor but for good lamb pieces I would try shoulder chops preferably arm cut vs. blade but blade OK too and cheaper. Keeping the bone in will enhance the flavor and ht emarrow is good. Sometimes I buy lamb shanks to add to soups for flavor bc they are cheap.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

A slightly related question... how much are you guys paying for lamb? The only place here that sells it besides the one butcher where he layers it with pork is the farmer's market.. and you can get it by the leg ($85+) or rack ($60+) or chops ($15 per lb).

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline
A slightly related question... how much are you guys paying for lamb? The only place here that sells it besides the one butcher where he layers it with pork is the farmer's market.. and you can get it by the leg ($85+) or rack ($60+) or chops ($15 per lb).

$13-$14 a lb for the good lollipop chops ie rib chops

$6-$7 for flat shoulder chops cut like steaks (meat is as good as whats on the rib chops in my opinion)

$22-$24 for a 3lb roast of boneless lamb shoulder which I cut upt into cubes for stews - yum!

i think the prices arent bad here. we have alot of sephardic jews around here who eat lamb all of the time so demand is high. but the weird thing is in israel, where there are TONS of sephardic jews, lamb is just as expensive as here, and not as good.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

$13-$14 a lb for the good lollipop chops ie rib chops

$6-$7 for flat shoulder chops cut like steaks (meat is as good as whats on the rib chops in my opinion)

$22-$24 for a 3lb roast of boneless lamb shoulder which I cut upt into cubes for stews - yum!

i think the prices arent bad here. we have alot of sephardic jews around here who eat lamb all of the time so demand is high. but the weird thing is in israel, where there are TONS of sephardic jews, lamb is just as expensive as here, and not as good.

Thanks! i wasn't sure how we were comparing to general market... there is basically no demand here so it's not really sold.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

2 Tablespoons butter

2 onions, chopped

salt

3/4 cup lentils

Directions:

I am definately trying this one. I compete with his sister's cooking. She wins with Moroccan, but I win with other dishes...how's that for being a diplomat LOL

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline
What are your thoughts on having a massage (therapeutic) during Ramadan prior to sundown?

OK, in all seriousness, the only feedback I got was Bridget being silly. I knew someone would go there, but I'm bumping this question b/c I'd really like some feedback.

For those who may not know me, I am a practicing licensed massage therapist. I take no new male clients and only work on women & existing male clients that I've seen for many years. My question mostly pertains to me (personally) getting a massage during Ramadan. I have a standing appt every other week b/c I need the work done in order to continue doing my work. I could technically skip a month, but my body will get really out of whack by then. I wish it were an option for me not to even work on others, but hey, gotta make a paycheck.

So, please, what are your thoughts on this issue? thanks... :innocent:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

What are your thoughts on having a massage (therapeutic) during Ramadan prior to sundown?

OK, in all seriousness, the only feedback I got was Bridget being silly. I knew someone would go there, but I'm bumping this question b/c I'd really like some feedback.

For those who may not know me, I am a practicing licensed massage therapist. I take no new male clients and only work on women & existing male clients that I've seen for many years. My question mostly pertains to me (personally) getting a massage during Ramadan. I have a standing appt every other week b/c I need the work done in order to continue doing my work. I could technically skip a month, but my body will get really out of whack by then. I wish it were an option for me not to even work on others, but hey, gotta make a paycheck.

If it were me, I would get the massage. I can't see any prohibition on this type of massage. It seems to me that this is a health benefit and would not break your fast any more than a nap would. If that makes sense.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline

If it were me, I would get the massage. I can't see any prohibition on this type of massage. It seems to me that this is a health benefit and would not break your fast any more than a nap would. If that makes sense.

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.