atomcaz

F1 Student Getting Married. What forms?

28 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I have been on an F1 visa for 2 years and will be getting married this month.

My questions are:

-What forms do I file exactly?

-Around how much will it cost?

-When will be status change?

-How can I keep going to college whilst my status is pending? Registration for classes is July 24th and I dont want to have to pay the expensive international student fees again considering I would not be an international student any more so what should I do?

PLEASE help. Very desperate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

First check your visa and make sure you don't have a home residency requirement. This usually happens if your gornernment helped with your education. Then ready the guides for CR1. In most states you have to pay foreign fees until after you have adjusted and sometimes for a year after so I think you may be out of luck there. Check your school on that one.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

First check your visa and make sure you don't have a home residency requirement. This usually happens if your gornernment helped with your education. Then ready the guides for CR1. In most states you have to pay foreign fees until after you have adjusted and sometimes for a year after so I think you may be out of luck there. Check your school on that one.

are you sure?

this site:http://www.immigration-information.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3236

says

"As soon as you get married, file a combined I-130/I-485 package and request employment authorization and advance parole at the same time. You can continue in school while you are waiting for your green card, or you can drop out and work using your EAD."

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

are you sure?

says

"As soon as you get married, file a combined I-130/I-485 package and request employment authorization and advance parole at the same time. You can continue in school while you are waiting for your green card, or you can drop out and work using your EAD."

You're right and the previous poster is wrong. Study the guide for Adjustment of Status for couples residing in the USA and come back with any remaining questions.

Caution: Now that you've decided to marry, you must not leave the USA until you have that green card. If you do, your continued plan to marry and adjust status will probably constitute visa fraud. If you've already come and gone after making the decision to marry, then your plan needs to change. You intentions at your last US entry are critical.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

are you sure?

says

You're right and the previous poster is wrong. Study the guide for Adjustment of Status for couples residing in the USA and come back with any remaining questions.

Caution: Now that you've decided to marry, you must not leave the USA until you have that green card. If you do, your continued plan to marry and adjust status will probably constitute visa fraud. If you've already come and gone after making the decision to marry, then your plan needs to change. You intentions at your last US entry are critical.

but I am okay to leave as long as I have advance parole right? Isnt there a form to file for that?

I think there is some truth in the first post, F1 visa is a special visa type that required some home residency requirement. I had a friend who is married to a US citizen and still they required him to leave the US first for some period of time before he can get back. Just double check that

good luck

I think there is some truth in the first post, F1 visa is a special visa type that required some home residency requirement. I had a friend who is married to a US citizen and still they required him to leave the US first for some period of time before he can get back. Just double check that

good luck

You can adjust status while in the US on an F-1 Visa. There may have been other particulars of your friend's case.

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

are you sure?

says

but I am okay to leave as long as I have advance parole right? Isnt there a form to file for that?

Technically yes, but I wouldn't risk it unless it's an emergency.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

are you sure?

says

Technically yes, but I wouldn't risk it unless it's an emergency.

Agreed. I canceled a flight out of the US when I did the adjustment (I planned it while on F1 OPT). Like a visa, the AP allows you the chance the return to the US but nothing is cemented. Any immigration official can exercise the right to reject your re-entry based on the fact that you violated the terms of the visa non-immigrant requirement.

Edited by Heliosphan

Removing Conditions

Citizenship

the answers I have received here are kind of all over the place and contradict lots of other posts ive read on this forum

If anyone whom has been attending college on an F1 visa and gotten married to a US citizen could reply with their experience it would really help

thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The OP was asing about higher school rates which is what I was answering. Yes she can stay and attend but she may not reap residient advantages as far as school fees.

At the local school you must be able to establish 1 year of residental intent to get local fees. Otherwise you pay out of state resident fees. So if the OP filed today she would not be eligble for in state fees for a year. But her school can help her there.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

The OP was asing about higher school rates which is what I was answering. Yes she can stay and attend but she may not reap residient advantages as far as school fees.

At the local school you must be able to establish 1 year of residental intent to get local fees. Otherwise you pay out of state resident fees. So if the OP filed today she would not be eligble for in state fees for a year. But her school can help her there.

thank you so much. very informative response.

I am actually the one on the F1 visa and she is the citizen.

How long does getting the greencard generally take?

Would these be the forms to file:

I-130, I-485, all supporting docs and EAD/Parole request?

thank you so much. very informative response.

I am actually the one on the F1 visa and she is the citizen.

How long does getting the greencard generally take?

Would these be the forms to file:

I-130, I-485, all supporting docs and EAD/Parole request?

There is a subforum for this info which would give you faster replies.

I'm on an F1 visa right now and in the middle of the AOS process. GueraYTavo was on an F1 and has his Green Card now.

It'll take roughly 6 months for the process to complete if everything goes right. Most schools will ask that you maintain your F1 status until you have a physical green card to show them so you won't really reap any benefits for the AOS process aside from teh ability to work off campus with your EAD.

Removing Conditions

Citizenship

good luck

You're talking about a J-1 here, the OP is on F-1, which does not carry any HRR.

10-Apr-08...Filing date for I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

02-May-08...Biometrics

31-Jul-08...EAD Card received

15-Sep-08...Interview (APPROVED)

27-Sep-08...GC received

03-Aug-10...Filed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

06-Aug-10...NOA 1-yr Extension Letter

10-Sep-10...Biometrics

02-Dec-10...ROC approved! (Card production ordered)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
There is a subforum for this info which would give you faster replies.

I'm on an F1 visa right now and in the middle of the AOS process. GueraYTavo was on an F1 and has his Green Card now.

It'll take roughly 6 months for the process to complete if everything goes right. Most schools will ask that you maintain your F1 status until you have a physical green card to show them so you won't really reap any benefits for the AOS process aside from teh ability to work off campus with your EAD.

Somebody called me?? hehe B)

Indeed indeed mates, I was an F-1 and now a proud PR. It takes around 6 months but nothing is certain with Uncle Sam as you may know already after all the pain in the A$$ of getting the semester signature, I-20's SEVIS, on and on and on.

Ok back to the topic, it takes around 6 months to process normally, in case your name is not common and doesn't get stuck w/the FBI. Since we are or were students, I'm sure they cleared out our name at least at some point and up to some security level, I think there won't be any mishaps. All the paperwork you need is listed in another threads within this subforum, they are have little black arrow to their left.

In case you have any questions feel free to ask,

;)

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.