neiks

Name change in Passport?

8 posts in this topic

Just wondering if it's really necessary to send my Passport in to get an observation in my Passport for my married name. This is the info on the Passport Offices website:

Change of name

If your name changes after you have been issued a passport, you may either use the existing passport and carry documentary evidence of the name change, or apply for a passport in the new name.

Note: It is possible to add a spousal surname observation to a valid passport that was issued in your surname at birth. As there are no standardized forms for this procedure, this service is available by forwarding the passport issued in the surname at birth, with a letter requesting the service and the fee of $12. A copy of your marriage certificate must also be submitted.

If I didn't get the observation would I have to carry my marriage certificate around? I hyphenated my maiden and married name on my driver's licence. Does this it make any difference as I go through the CR1 process? We are using my newly married hyphenated name on all the applications.

My passport expirs in Nov 07 so I really don't want to apply for a new one right now.

Edited by neiks

It depends if you want to use your married name. But if you don't, you will receive your visa on your maiden name.

I change my name to a married one when I renewed my passport as it is going to expire 2 months after our marriage. :)

N-400

June 08, 2009 - Mailed packet to TX lockbox

June 12, 2009 - USCIS TX received Packet

June 15, 2009 - Notice Date

June 19, 2009 - Recieved NOA

July 15, 2009 - Scheduled for biometrics

Sept 21, 2009 - Scheduled for Interview ....Passed the interview test

Oct. 16, 2009 - Oath taking

----------------------------------------------------------------

Never let a day go by without a dream.

Dream and dedication are a powerful combination.

My married name was used on all paperwork so I changed my name on all my ID including my passport to reflect my married name to avoid any possible future issues. The visa will be issued in the name on your passport.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

When I renewed by passport I used my married name. The paperworks when we submitted them were all in my married name, to avoid confusion. It was the best thing to do in my opinion to have it change.

Good luck..

God Bless..

Filed: Timeline

I had filed all my paperwork with my married name. But I hadn't changed my ID yet. Including my passport. My marriage certificate states that I chose to change my name to my husbands so I thought that was sufficent enough.

Well, I was wrong. I received an RFE. I had to change EVERYTHING to reflect my maiden name. They would not accept it unless my passport was changed.

I chose to just leave it as is. I guess I will be getting my green card in my maiden name.

Hopefully down the line I will be able to change it.

Best of luck to all

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

All my documents were filed in my previous surname cause of my kids' documents. I figured it was just a lot less hassle when I travelled with them as all my custodial papers are in that surname. All my Canada banking and Revenue Canada stuff is still in that surname as well.

My bank acct., DL and SSN # are in my new married name here. When registering my kids for anything, I hyphenated the two surnames for myself.

Interesting to note, somebody wrote across my Visa petition my new married name as an alias.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I dont know if this helps at all but im the petitioner and I changed my passport after I got back from Morocco. All they did was amend the back of it to says name change from this to this. It only took three weeks pretty fast here and i didnt even have to pay for the name change. Right now in Morocco my husband is going through alot of stuff just to get his fixed it expires soon and no one will do what their job is!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.