Neonred

Shengen Visa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Wife and I will be going to France and Italy later this summer and so she will need to get a Shengen visa. Today we went over to Miami to the French consulate to apply and interview for her visa. I had looked online at their website and prepared all documents and copies as specified. Really not much to it compared to what most of us have been through.

When we arrived shortly before they opened we were fourth in line. The first guy did not get his visa because he is an airline pilot and could not leave his passport and did not come with a postage paid mailer. The second group did not bring the required pictures. The third couple were trying to pick up 6 visas which included 4 for people that did not show up for the required "interview" (which is, "yes" your face matches your picture). I noticed the panicked girl behind us in line calling her mother because she did not have the mailer and didn't even know what type of visa she was supposed to apply for while she was trying to fill out the application, and didn't have copies of her documents. I couldn't believe it.

We had no problem at all. All our documents and copies were ready and organized the same way they were for the K-1 and AOS interviews. We will receive the passport with Shengen visa Monday or Tuesday. So folks, there are some practical lessons learned doing the prep work for K-1 and other family based visas.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Wife and I will be going to France and Italy later this summer and so she will need to get a Shengen visa. Today we went over to Miami to the French consulate to apply and interview for her visa. I had looked online at their website and prepared all documents and copies as specified. Really not much to it compared to what most of us have been through.

When we arrived shortly before they opened we were fourth in line. The first guy did not get his visa because he is an airline pilot and could not leave his passport and did not come with a postage paid mailer. The second group did not bring the required pictures. The third couple were trying to pick up 6 visas which included 4 for people that did not show up for the required "interview" (which is, "yes" your face matches your picture). I noticed the panicked girl behind us in line calling her mother because she did not have the mailer and didn't even know what type of visa she was supposed to apply for while she was trying to fill out the application, and didn't have copies of her documents. I couldn't believe it.

We had no problem at all. All our documents and copies were ready and organized the same way they were for the K-1 and AOS interviews. We will receive the passport with Shengen visa Monday or Tuesday. So folks, there are some practical lessons learned doing the prep work for K-1 and other family based visas.

Or just lessons learned from being able to follow simple directions. :) have fun in france!

Первый блин комом.

Great to hear that it's really no big deal as long as you follow the rules. Congrats, have fun, and hope to see some fotos....

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Great to hear that it's really no big deal as long as you follow the rules. Congrats, have fun, and hope to see some fotos....

OK, will take a ton of fotos...

Talked with a friend yesterday about Paris and he tells me Paris is a great city. He said the only thing bad about Paris is the French people!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

Timeline
He said the only thing bad about Paris is the French people!
I'd be more concerned about the falling dollar and how little it will get you in Paris. We're joining the millions of others by doing yet another "staycation".

Paris is an awesome city, probably one of the most interesting places in the world to visit on a vacation.

Wouldn't want to live there though as even a bottle of water and small snack will run you about 5 Euros.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Paris is an awesome city, probably one of the most interesting places in the world to visit on a vacation.

Wouldn't want to live there though as even a bottle of water and small snack will run you about 5 Euros.

Yes, but it's a really great snack! We spent the last two weeks of March in France, and Irina was snatching real estate newsletters from the kiosks, asking 'can we afford this?" 'Maybe we will sell our house and buy that?'

We stayed in the Hotel Sevigne for a week, in the Marais, wiithin walking distance of two wine shops, two mini-marts, a cheese shop, four bakeries, and two butchers, and then rented a car and drove through Burgundy and the Loire Valley. After two nights of eating over-priced, obviously pre-cooked gunk in restaurants, we decided to shop for meals for the rest of our stay in France. Our experience:

The same bottle of wine cost about the same in Paris as it did in my local wineshop, but there were lots of inexpensive good wines that aren't available over here, so generally we drank quite well for an average of $10 - $15 a bottle, or sometimes less.

Bread and pastry cost maybe twice as much as in our hometown bakeries, but were much, much better and worth every cent and more.

Pate was maybe 50% higher than in the butcher shops here, but better also.

Cheese prices were about the same as in the US, based on some popular cheeses that we buy locally and could also buy in Paris (aged Manchego, Tomme de Savoie). Outside of Paris specialty cheeses were harder to find, but the more popular French 'soft' cheeses were everywhere and cost no more than in the US.

Fruits and vegetables were more or less than in the US, depending on what was in season.

For us, the huge difference in quality of the 'snacks' we were eating was a main reason why Irina would like to move to Paris. (Not going to happen though)

We went to Italy in 2007, by the way, and had a much easier time getting a visa, because unlike the French Consulate, the Italian Consulate did not require a personal appearance, and we were able to do the entire transaction by mail.

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

Timeline

The Italian consulate in Miami requires a personal appearance, and charges more for the visa for a Russian than the French consulate.

Now we are spending time reading and preparing for next months adventure. Hope I can recall a little of that French I studied in high school and college.

Now we are spending time reading and preparing for next months adventure. Hope I can recall a little of that French I studied in high school and college.

Paris is the most popular tourist city in the world. You'll hear plenty of English while you're there and most Parisians actually speak/understand a fair amount. Plus, while in Paris, no matter what language people are speaking it just makes sense because they're only talking about a few things -

"Delicious."

"Beautiful."

"Magnificent."

"Can you take our picture please?"

I was able to speak a little French, Spanish, Korean, Russian and a whole bunch of English in the 8 hours or so that I toured the city. It's truly one of those cities that you don't need to have your little pocket slovar with you. Speak what you know, try what you don't, and just go for it!

Русский форум член.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
The Italian consulate in Miami requires a personal appearance, and charges more for the visa for a Russian than the French consulate.

You're right; I'd forgotten that the Consulates can follow different rules. My comment should only apply to the San Francisco Consulates.

We prepared by playing some beginning conversational French CD's (Pimsleur in this case) in the car. I also took French in college, but I decided it would be more useful to focus on my pronunciation, because primarily I wanted people to understand me; whether I understood them was secondary, because I could always repeat what I thought they had said.

I seldom was able to speak in complete sentences, but I think my pronunciation was acceptable, and I never, in 2 1/2 weeks, experienced any rudeness from any of the French I spoke to. In fact, most people in France went out of their way to be nice to us, which is pretty amazing to me, because there are so many tourists that even other tourists sometimes find them irritating.

Irina, and this is just her personal opinion, thinks that it is much easier for a Russian speaker to learn to pronounce Italian than to learn to pronounce French. Last year in Italy she was comfortable pronouncing Italian words, although she can't speak the language, but this year in France she basically pretended to be mute with French people who couldn't speak English.

Iriina also carried her own guidebooks in Russian. It wasn't really necessary, because my English-language guidebooks (Blue Guides and (Michelin) Green Guides) were much more detailed, and she can understand more than half of what she reads in English, but she enjoyed looking things up for herself in Russian and studying her own books ahead of time.

I've been to Europe before, but it was like a first trip for me, because I was seeing everything again through Irina's eyes, and she enjoyed every minute of every day.

Enjoy your trip!

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Shengen Visa requires financial data, similar to the one done for K-1 visa, and paid airfare, reserved hotels, and travel insurance. We had to flew to SF Consular office for France for appointment (from Hawaii). All documents were in order, they did the biometrics (picture, finger prints) then after interviewer told us to take a seat. They called my wife in about 30 minutes, then handed back her Visa saying congratulation! It was approved!!! and completed! :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Going through the process that we have teaches us all to follow the directions. I think these beauracracies want most for you to do what they say! :lol:

Have fun! we are now narrowing down our plane tickest for this summer. We found great prices by going through London and we may just spend a couple days there with the "savings". So we will be getting UK visas if that is the case. I am SO looking forward to next year when Alla and Pasha will be citizens!

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

<!--quoteo(post=1972477:date=Jun 29 2008, 05:17 AM:name=slim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slim @ Jun 29 2008, 05:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great to hear that it's really no big deal as long as you follow the rules. Congrats, have fun, and hope to see some fotos....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Talked with a friend yesterday about Paris and he tells me Paris is a great city. He said the only thing bad about Paris is the French people!

Since I was born here, but French is my first language, I will tell you that French people are very nice. Just do not be rude and be respectful and they will help you. Every country has it's pain in the rear, but on the whole, France is a great place outside of Paris. Go to Nice or Bordeaux. The food is excellent and the wine is superior. Enjoy your stay and take in the cultural experience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

<!--quoteo(post=1972477:date=Jun 29 2008, 05:17 AM:name=slim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slim @ Jun 29 2008, 05:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great to hear that it's really no big deal as long as you follow the rules. Congrats, have fun, and hope to see some fotos....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I visited Paris several times and never had any particular problem. (I hate the airport) I speak French but English will get you around just about as well. You see (on signs anyway) less English in Montreal than you do in Paris. The only thing I find bad about western Europe is the price of everything. It is just so expensive compared to eastern Europe, or at least it was. I went there because...why not? But I could spend a whole day in Prague (food and other expenses)for about the cost I would spend for transportation alone in Paris or Munich. But if you can add a side trip to another city for just a little more while on your way to Russia or Ukraine...go for it!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline

Can't believe France has changed so much since I lived there in 1983? According to my now 29 year-old daughter, who lived in Paris for 2 years until recently, that's not the case.

As much as I love France -- and have the South of France on my list of the most desirable places to retire -- in my opinion the French people don't like to speak English. If you have an operating knowledge of the French language and are polite, France is a wonderful place. But for the archetypical (obnoxious) American or European tourist, who feels life in France should revolve around him, the experience can be less positive. Even at cafes, where tourists have problems with the menu, I remember that they are left out to dry. No mercy!

My wife never has been to Europe, ever, so we are now "saving up" for a trip for our 6th wedding anniversary (first the English countryside, the off to France) next year. She wants to see the Louvre and Monet's Garden in Giverny, but luckily my French is still pretty good, so we'll be okay.

I would be really interested in feedback from VJ members who went there. Keep it coming.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.