Dakota

Canadian Drivers License

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am in maryland and it was no problem to get my canadian drivers license changed to American.

I didn't have to take a written or drivers test.

Each state has its own rules.

Good luck!

AOS Timeline

11-01-05.... AOS/EAD/AP mailed

11-10-05....NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP

11-14-05....NOA's received in mail

01-06-06...Biometrics letter received for AOS

01-07-06...AP APPROVED

01-20-06...Biometrics appointment

01-26-06...EAD APPROVED

3-1-06...Started Full Time Job

6-8-06...AOS Interview

6-16-06...Move into New House

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For VA just handed over my Cdn drivers license!!

Sweet! That's what I plan on doing! :dance:

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I am from Canada and now living in the States with my husband.
If you changed your name when you married, and your Canadian license shows your maiden name, you could be in for a few bumps in the road. Proving one's identity has become a big deal, and it's your responsibility to show up with consistent documents. Which state are you in?

For what it's worth, New Jersey may let you skip the road test, but you'll be on the hot seat for a thorough identity check.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
If you changed your name when you married, and your Canadian license shows your maiden name, you could be in for a few bumps in the road. Proving one's identity has become a big deal, and it's your responsibility to show up with consistent documents. Which state are you in?

For what it's worth, New Jersey may let you skip the road test, but you'll be on the hot seat for a thorough identity check.

I just provided my marriage certificate. Actually, now that I remember, I had to go to SSA right away and have my name changed there too cause the DMV recommended my DL and my SSN should have the same name. Those are the only two pieces of ID I have in my married name.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In Georgia I was allowed to drive on my Canadian license up to a year but got my new license as soon as my EAD came in. Because it was a foreign license I was required to write the exam and do the road test both. I also had to turn in my Canadian license as it is illegal in Georgia to have more than one driver's license in your possession since it also counts as State ID.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In Georgia you have 30 days to exchange your out of state license for a georgia license, with only an eye test required. however I don't have my SSN yet. anyone know how that works?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In Alabama all I had to do was an eye exam. I didnt have to hand in my Ontario DL, they just punched holes in it, and handed it back to me.

I-129F

12.18.04 Mailed I-129F

12.31.04 NOA1

05.17.05 NOA2

08.22.05 Visa Approved in Montreal

08.24.05 POE at Lewiston, NY

08.27.05 Married

AOS/EAD/AP (K-1)

09.01.05 Mailed AOS/EAD & AP to CHI Lockbox

09.12.05 NOA1 AOS/EAD & AP

11.10.05 AP in mail

12.22.05 Biometrics in Birmingham

12.27.05 EAD arrives in snail mail

03.01.06 Got Vacc Supplement in Tuscaloosa $50

04.10.06 Interview in Atlanta..APPROVED!

04.22.06 Green Card Arrives!!

AOS&AP (K-2)

09.01.05 Mailed AOS & AP to CHI Lockbox

09.12.05 NOA1 AOS & AP

10.06.05 AOS/AP touched

11.25.05 AP arrived in snail mail.

12.22.05 Biometrics in Birmingham

03.01.06 Got Vacc Supplement in Tuscaloosa $50

04.10.06 Interview in Atlanta..APPROVED!

04.22.06 Green Card Arrives!!

I-751 Remove Conditions

01.10.08 Mailed I-751 to VSC

01.18.08 NOA

01.19.08 NOA/Extention letter for Abbey

02.15.08 Biometrics in Birmingham

02.20.08 Touched

05.16.08 ... waiting....

01.12.08 Approved! Card Ordered

.png

Timeline
In Georgia you have 30 days to exchange your out of state license for a georgia license, with only an eye test required. however I don't have my SSN yet. anyone know how that works?

That 30 day period and eye test only applies if you are moving between States. You can drive on a foreign license up to a year, although they also prefer you to change it within 30 days - not always possible, however, as you need to have proof of immigration status, which is why I had to wait until I got my EAD. There wasn't a long enough time left on the I-94 for them to give the license. Foreign licensed drivers need to do the eye test, the written exam and the driving test. I am not sure how it works with SSN - I don't recall having to use mine but it was nearly 2 years ago now and I don't recall for sure.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had no problems with my name change. Just showed my marriage certificate and my SSN was already in my married name as I got it after I got married. My canadian driver's license was in my maiden name. No issues with this in NY.

Timeline

That 30 day period and eye test only applies if you are moving between States. You can drive on a foreign license up to a year, although they also prefer you to change it within 30 days - not always possible, however, as you need to have proof of immigration status, which is why I had to wait until I got my EAD. There wasn't a long enough time left on the I-94 for them to give the license. Foreign licensed drivers need to do the eye test, the written exam and the driving test. I am not sure how it works with SSN - I don't recall having to use mine but it was nearly 2 years ago now and I don't recall for sure.

I did not know that the transfer did not apply to foreign licenses. This is rather stupid because NS has the same traffic laws as GA. I did call and they said that if I don't have a SSN then I need to get a DENIAL OF CARD NOTICE from the SS office and can use that instead of a SSN.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am going to be moving to IL and all the information I can find tells me I can use my Ontario license for 90 days....no information on their website saying what is required of Canadians to get their license....anyone move from Canada to IL?????

"Let your legs carry your body and your heart carry your dreams."

June 19th, 2006 - I129-F sent via Fedex (courtesy of my Honey's work) to arrive using next day delivery

Mid- July - Found out I129-F never left his company but is lost there.....need to gather and try again

August 2006 - Still waiting...maybe not the I-129F route anymore

Timeline

In Idaho it was present 500 pieces of ID to make sure I was legal and a copy of my driving record from Ontario, take the eye test, the written test and the road test. I got to keep my Ontario licence; just warned not to drive on two licences.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I am going to be moving to IL and all the information I can find tells me I can use my Ontario license for 90 days....no information on their website saying what is required of Canadians to get their license....anyone move from Canada to IL?????
Drivers moving to Illinois may use their valid driver's license from their home state or country for 90 days. You may obtain an Illinois driver's license or identification card only if you are becoming a legal resident of Illinois. If you have a valid driver's license from another state or country, you may use it to drive in Illinois throughout your stay (if you do not plan to become a permanent resident of this state). Illinois does not recognize the international driver's license.

To receive an Illinois driver's license or ID card, you must provide acceptable identification to prove name, date of birth, Illinois residency, Social Security Number and your signature for comparison.

To obtain an Illinois driver's license, you must successfully complete a vision screening, written examination and possibly a driving examination, and pay the appropriate fee. An Illinois driver's license is valid for four years. An Illinois ID card is valid for five years.

http://www.sos.state.il.us/departments/dri...ense/dlfaq.html

you best bet would be to go to the DMV and find out for sure what you need to do but from the looks of this it looks like you need to do the eye test, the written test and possibly the Road test...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
here in Californina I had to have the eye test, take the written test and the road test :P...

strange thing is that they didn't take my Canadian DL... the lady asked to see it and she took some info of it , I think and then handed it back to me... I asked if I was suppused to keep it or hand it over and she said I could keep it.... I swear I read in the book that you are supposed to surrender your international DL :huh:

Oh no... I'll have to take all the tests again?

:angry:

:(

[15-03-2006] NOA1

[27-03-2006] Touched? (The last modification was on that date. shrugs)

[30-06-2006] Received and sent the IMBRA RFE.

[11-07-2006] Touched --> USCIS received the IMBRA RFE.

[11-09-2006] NOA2!!

[22-11-2006] Montreal received DS-230 on/before November 22

[12-04-2007] Interview!!!

[13-04-2007] K-1 Visa issued after 13 months of waiting.

[19-05-2007] Wedding

[24-07-2007] Paperwork for AoS sent

[11-15-2007] Green Card received

1 year+ for a K-1 Visa. Who would've thought...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just had to take a eye test and pay $27.00 to get my Alabama License.

I had to have my ssn, marriage cert, EAD card.

Plus they didnt take my Canadian Drivers License back

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.