Dakota

Canadian Drivers License

32 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am from Canada and now living in the States with my husband. Does anyone know if I can switch my Canadian drivers license over to a US license without having to take the driving test over again? I was told that some states will do that? I was wondering if anyone knows which states will just allow you to take the written test and switch to a US license? Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

That depends on the state you live in. Here in Georgia, I think if the license is current then all that's needed is to take a test. We'll be checking with the Georgia State Patrol office as soon as Joel gets here and gets settled. In the meantime you can drive on your Canadian license, from what I understand of others who have posted on this issue. You could google the information (google is our friend :yes: ) and find out if you're not sure where to call. Hope this helps.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
http://www.dmv.org/ may have info. But it varies from State to State. Soem you may even have to take a driving exam. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

check the DMV webiste for the state you live in, they're all different. Here in NC I had to take the written and sign recognition tests before I could get my license. They do have a law here in NC that is at the discretion of the examiner whether or not a road test is necessary.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

After they called to verify that my DL was valid, I had to do the eye test, and hand over my Canadian DL. (Oklahoma)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

For Michigan, only the eye test was required... just handed in the Ontario DL...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For VA just handed over my Cdn drivers license!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hello

Just go or call your local DOT/DMV to find out, each state is different. If you have to take a test, I would get a driving book from them and take the test and transfer your licence. You should still be able to drive in the states as long as you have insurance that covers you here.

Cheers

Just needed to do written test and eye exam in Minnesota.

:yes:

Just to let you know that I got my DL in the mail about the week after I wrote the test...easy by the way...BUT...the drivers licence expired the day of expiration of my I-94 and I had to have proof of legal residence before they would renew it...I had the NOA for AOS, and that was good enough for them, but they told me that it would expire again in August and would have to show documentation again then that I am legal...but now I have my EAD and that is all I need for that.....good luck.

AOS, EAD, AP, filed on Feb 8, 2006

NOA received Feb 18, 2006

Biometrics done on Apr 21, at St. Paul office..wait some more......

Touched on April 24 and 28

email aproval for AP on May 1

email approval for EAD on May 3

received AP on May 3

received EAD in mail on May 8

start work of June 1

AOS interview in Bloomington on July 19 8am

AOS approved,passport stamped on July 19

as of Dec 10, 2006 still no greencard....waiting and waiting....USCIS says we are approved, and check back in 60 days...no idea what is happening

Dec 18, email stating welcome letter is in the mail

Dec 20, 5 emails saying they ordered production of my new card......

Dec 24...welcome to America letter in the snail mail

Dec 26...GC in hand and all is correct...

NOTE TO SELF..file to lift conditions 04/19/08

04/22/08 filed to lift conditions

05/01/08 package returned wrong form

05/05/08 re-submitted right form to california

05/09/08 cheque cashed

05/13/08 NOA

05/19/08 appointment letter for biometrics received..appointment on 05/28/08 at 11 am at USCIS St. Paul

05/28/08 took my two appointment letters and had my fingerprints done

11/13/08 touched and email stating card production ordered and will be sent to me in 30 days

11/21/08 GC in hand no mistakes expires 11/13/18

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

here in Californina I had to have the eye test, take the written test and the road test :P...

strange thing is that they didn't take my Canadian DL... the lady asked to see it and she took some info of it , I think and then handed it back to me... I asked if I was suppused to keep it or hand it over and she said I could keep it.... I swear I read in the book that you are supposed to surrender your international DL :huh:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here in Tucson Anton just took a written test. He got to keep his Alberta License which surprised me.

Now he has two licenses.

Moondancer

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.