symbiosis

Why K-3s take longer than K-1s?

76 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I know many people might disagree, but in a country that protects and respect families, already-formed families should be given a priority over still-to-be-formed families.

Well - that ain't gonna happen because that simple fact alone is a non-criteria.

Here's a link to a very important PDF - you may open it and say 'oh that's old' and that'll be true. It's congressional testimony from 1986. Why would you care to read a 22 year old document? Because this testimony directly impacted the BIG re-write of the INA in 1986 where sweeping changes were made to family-based immigration. And the changes were not a relaxation of laws, but an extreme tightening.

Within the PDF, you'll read some of the scams committed by 'already formed families'. I think you might find that eye-opening.

As I've tried to explain to you before, a union that just happens to have already been blessed by matrimony is NO LESS POTENTIALLY FRAUDULENT than a relationship between those intending to marry. Here's the congressional record that proves it.

You need to accept that fact.

http://www.loc.gov/law/find/hearings/pdf/00139298779.pdf

I guess you're not getting it. I think the question is why should a couple that is not yet married, get a visa quicker than a couple that is already married. I don't think anyone is saying that K-3s should get preferential treatment above K-1s, they are just wondering why K-1s are approved more quickly than K-3s.

Anyway no point in carrying this on. The system is what it is. It's not going to change in the near future. I think people are just frustrated that the process isn't distributed fairly between Service Centers (see spreadsheet) or between visa types.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p-9...mJHCw&gid=6

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I know many people might disagree, but in a country that protects and respect families, already-formed families should be given a priority over still-to-be-formed families.

Well - that ain't gonna happen because that simple fact alone is a non-criteria.

Here's a link to a very important PDF - you may open it and say 'oh that's old' and that'll be true. It's congressional testimony from 1986. Why would you care to read a 22 year old document? Because this testimony directly impacted the BIG re-write of the INA in 1986 where sweeping changes were made to family-based immigration. And the changes were not a relaxation of laws, but an extreme tightening.

Within the PDF, you'll read some of the scams committed by 'already formed families'. I think you might find that eye-opening.

As I've tried to explain to you before, a union that just happens to have already been blessed by matrimony is NO LESS POTENTIALLY FRAUDULENT than a relationship between those intending to marry. Here's the congressional record that proves it.

I guess you're not getting it. I think the question is why should a couple that is not yet married, get a visa quicker than a couple that is already married. I don't think anyone is saying that K-3s should get preferential treatment above K-1s, they are just wondering why K-1s are approved more quickly than K-3s.

Anyway no point in carrying this on. The system is what it is. It's not going to change in the near future. I think people are just frustrated that the process isn't distributed fairly between Service Centers (see spreadsheet) or between visa types.

Aye, that's understandable.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Other Timeline

Sure, I understand your frustration.

The point I was addressing hasn't anything to do with why one visa type is faster than another or why one service center is faster.

I was only addressing the notion that a couple who is married is somehow more entitled to a speedy process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

That it is not doesn't mean that it shouldn't.. The Law is human, and it can always be improved. Politics drives this process (when it is not too busy worrying about dividing the spoils..)

The point I was addressing hasn't anything to do with why one visa type is faster than another or why one service center is faster.

I was only addressing the notion that a couple who is married is somehow more entitled to a speedy process.

Edited by charisma1

Filed: Other Timeline

What doesn't mean that what shouldn't? If you are trying to make a point, I don't see what it has to do with my quoted post.

Did you read the testimony? I really didn't see any politics in it. I saw facts about marital fraud (and fraud with K1 visas also).

You'll find nobody more convinced than I that immigration law needs improved. But you will have to do better than merely insist you are right to convince me that based solely upon the fact that a couple has entered into matrimony they are entitled to more immigrant preference than they already receive. There are already no numerical limits to spousal and fiance visas; a quicker path to citizenship; and forgiveness of numerous immigration 'sins' only to mention a few.

Would you have K1 visas be in some special category like 'undecided non-immigrant'? 'Non-immigrant with the option to ####### out'? Ok, fine. Then show me FACTS as to why a married couple should receive a quicker path than an engaged couple. Not a BELIEF shrouded in a legal act than requires fundamentally nothing more to transpire than two people willing to sign their name to a document. Because from what I read, you married folks aren't getting any stars in the honesty department over those who haven't said "I do" yet.

Fraud exists becuase the immigrant is claiming a relationship - period. Spouse or intending spouse. Being married already doesn't make your relationship 'less fraudulent'. It just makes you married.

That it is not doesn't mean that it shouldn't.. The Law is human, and it can always be improved. Politics drives this process (when it is not too busy worrying about dividing the spoils..)

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

In the past two months, I-129F's are being processed faster for spouses versus fiance(e)'s (by an average of 30 days). I went to the "Immigration Timelines", "visa display options", "view all visas", then sorted by 129F - NOA2 date. Downloaded the last 300 I-129f approvals listed. Eliminated 36 records (31 of 300 had RFE's, 3 had no NOA1 date listed, 1 had an "expedite request" noted, and one was over 300 days - statistically an "outlier"). Of the remaining 264 records receiving 129F NOA2's since May 1, 2008, K-3's averaged 83 days and K-1's averaged 113 days.

I can only assume the three IR-1/CR-1 filed a 129f to keep their options open to go for either the IR-1/CR-1 or K3. In effect these should be combined with the K-3 statistics.

Also, three individuals listed Texas. I added them into the California data, but it did not significantly change the statistics.

A huge difference exists between California and Vermont in how they are currently processing K-1's versus K-3's (K-1's avg 73 days at Vermont; 133 days at California. K-3's avg 130 days at Vermont; 73 days in California). So the real question is "Why do K-3's take longer at Vermont than K-1's?"

129F_NOA1_to_NOA2_table.htm

I can empathize with those "caught up" in last year's K-3 delay. But current processing is only better for a K-1 if you are going through Vermont.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

I-129 processing may have speeded up for K-3s, but the official directions still say to wait until you have the receipt from the I-130 to file the I-129F for the K-3. We waited from November 20th to Feb 8th for that receipt. Just the I-129F processing times can mislead. They need to change the directions so that the I-130 and I-129F can be filed together in the same package, with one not having to worry about them rejecting it. Then the I-129F should not be delayed by the I-130 processing. That's what the intent of the law is. Sending out the receipt notices in a timely fashion helps, but what is going to prevent them from shifting resources and having another major receipting delay? I think processing should be at least as fast for K-3s as they are for K-1s. K-3 couples have made a commitment that is legally binding, so have more to deal with than love (which is a wonderful thing, and I'm not negating it in anyway)!

8+ months from filing to interview

Thai Mom

Timeline
In the past two months, I-129F's are being processed faster for spouses versus fiance(e)'s (by an average of 30 days). I went to the "Immigration Timelines", "visa display options", "view all visas", then sorted by 129F - NOA2 date. Downloaded the last 300 I-129f approvals listed. Eliminated 36 records (31 of 300 had RFE's, 3 had no NOA1 date listed, 1 had an "expedite request" noted, and one was over 300 days - statistically an "outlier"). Of the remaining 264 records receiving 129F NOA2's since May 1, 2008, K-3's averaged 83 days and K-1's averaged 113 days.

I can only assume the three IR-1/CR-1 filed a 129f to keep their options open to go for either the IR-1/CR-1 or K3. In effect these should be combined with the K-3 statistics.

Also, three individuals listed Texas. I added them into the California data, but it did not significantly change the statistics.

A huge difference exists between California and Vermont in how they are currently processing K-1's versus K-3's (K-1's avg 73 days at Vermont; 133 days at California. K-3's avg 130 days at Vermont; 73 days in California). So the real question is "Why do K-3's take longer at Vermont than K-1's?"

I can empathize with those "caught up" in last year's K-3 delay. But current processing is only better for a K-1 if you are going through Vermont.

That analysis is flawed, because you are basing your data on I-129F NOA2. I think most people with I-129F NOA1 in the last 6 months don't even have an NOA2 at Vermont. A better analysis, is to sample the last 6 months, look at K-3 for Vermont and California. Analyze what percentage of K-3 filers have an I-129F NOA2 in each service center. There's where you will find the large discrepancy.

For example, if Vermont approves 5 out of 100 I-129F in the last 6 months, and they average approval time is 60 days, by your analysis, the average approval time would be 60 days. What about the other 95 that don't have an NOA2?

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

###### dispeakable!

Here is my story. I've lived problem free life, payed my taxes. One day I decided to marry this girl. But to do so would require her to come to US of A, and so it started. My problem free live turned in to free problems from USCIS! Sure things turned to unsure, certain dates turned to aproximation within months. All logical thinking was out the door, as I filed my papers withing famous Vermont Centre!

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Date Package Received By NVC : 09-05-08

-- Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 09-11-08

-- Pay I-864 Bill :09-11-08

-- Receive I-864 Package :09-15-08

-- Return I-864 Package :09-16-08

-- Return Completed DS-3032 :09-11-08

-- Receive IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Pay IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Receive Instruction Package :09-17-08

-- Case Completed at NVC :10-16-08

Date Package Left From NVC :10-31-08

Date Received By Consulate :11-05-08

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4):11-25-08

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):12/08/08

Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received :12-11-08

Date of US Entry :12-17-08

Timeline

That analysis is flawed, because you are basing your data on I-129F NOA2. I think most people with I-129F NOA1 in the last 6 months don't even have an NOA2 at Vermont. A better analysis, is to sample the last 6 months, look at K-3 for Vermont and California. Analyze what percentage of K-3 filers have an I-129F NOA2 in each service center. There's where you will find the large discrepancy.

For example, if Vermont approves 5 out of 100 I-129F in the last 6 months, and they average approval time is 60 days, by your analysis, the average approval time would be 60 days. What about the other 95 that don't have an NOA2?

These two links spell it out pretty well. They are gathered from data on this site.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p-9...V-SBw&gid=0

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p-9...mJHCw&gid=5

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

I tried looking at it that way. That data is also skewed because a significant number of VJers enter a I-129F NOA1 date, then never update their timeline. So I looked at the "last updated" column and discarded anyone who had not updated since April 30th. I also discarded anyone who had a number of days for "I-129F date to present" of less than the average for their visa type and service center (otherwise someone who filed yesterday would show up as "1 day"). In doing this, I capture those without NOA2's that have waited longer than the average for their service center and visa type. The averages are different, but they remain directionally the same.

2008_129f_data.htm

I agree with Thai Mom, the bigger injustice is the "I-130 sent to I-130 NOA1" timing for those that filed between August 2007 and January 2008. Since April 1, 2008 this is averaging just under 9 days. A significant number of the 2008 I-129F NOA1's that are K-3 related are from individuals with "I-130 sent to I-130 NOA1" days ranging from 70 to 180 days. It would appear that has improved.

K-3

AOS

Citizenship

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

The bottom line is: USCIS is an organization that is not accountable for their actions and they use the laws to cover their butts.

How many marriage based visas they processed every year? What's the percentage of frauds uncovered among this numbers? Do we see USCIS published this data somewhere?

True, there is a need to filter out frauds. But, does leaving the files at a god forsaken place for six months before even looking at them actually filter out frauds.

Is it necessarily to have a blanket process applied to the majority of people who are genuine? Do frauds get filtered out with the current inefficient system? I am pretty sure majority of them get away while the genuine ones get caught in this.

Not to mention the archaic and low tech operation that disguise with "work within the requirements set by law".

There are marriage based immigration frauds in most of the countries (even in so called third world country like Malaysia!)

But most countries don't separate families like this.

In some countries, spouses are allowed to enter with visitor visas and apply within.

They have visitations when the documentations or the interviews raise red flags.

Are they able to filter ALL the fraudient cases?

No way near to that! But, so does the current system in the US.

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

Timeline

I tried looking at it that way. That data is also skewed because a significant number of VJers enter a I-129F NOA1 date, then never update their timeline. So I looked at the "last updated" column and discarded anyone who had not updated since April 30th. I also discarded anyone who had a number of days for "I-129F date to present" of less than the average for their visa type and service center (otherwise someone who filed yesterday would show up as "1 day"). In doing this, I capture those without NOA2's that have waited longer than the average for their service center and visa type. The averages are different, but they remain directionally the same.

2008_129f_data.htm

I agree with Thai Mom, the bigger injustice is the "I-130 sent to I-130 NOA1" timing for those that filed between August 2007 and January 2008. Since April 1, 2008 this is averaging just under 9 days. A significant number of the 2008 I-129F NOA1's that are K-3 related are from individuals with "I-130 sent to I-130 NOA1" days ranging from 70 to 180 days. It would appear that has improved.

I logon to this website multiple times daily. My last update on my timeline is May 18. Reason for that, is there is nothing to update, ie NOA, touches. So you will have alot of people that haven't updated their timeline, because there is nothing to update. They are in a blackhole waiting for I-129F NOA2 from VSC. Not trying to be a pain. Just want to get it right. I wish I was in BKK picking up my wife rather than having this conversation. No offense ;-)

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline
The bottom line is: USCIS is an organization that is not accountable for their actions and they use the laws to cover their butts.

How many marriage based visas they processed every year? What's the percentage of frauds uncovered among this numbers? Do we see USCIS published this data somewhere?

True, there is a need to filter out frauds. But, does leaving the files at a god forsaken place for six months before even looking at them actually filter out frauds.

Is it necessarily to have a blanket process applied to the majority of people who are genuine? Do frauds get filtered out with the current inefficient system? I am pretty sure majority of them get away while the genuine ones get caught in this.

Not to mention the archaic and low tech operation that disguise with "work within the requirements set by law".

There are marriage based immigration frauds in most of the countries (even in so called third world country like Malaysia!)

But most countries don't separate families like this.

In some countries, spouses are allowed to enter with visitor visas and apply within.

They have visitations when the documentations or the interviews raise red flags.

Are they able to filter ALL the fraudient cases?

No way near to that! But, so does the current system in the US.

There are links in this discussion (on here about two weeks ago) about the numbers of petitions processed by USCIS. No information on fraud (other than subjective posts).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=1929597

Lots of data if you want to go through it.

Regarding fraud, several interesting links (if you have a few days to read through them or are trying to cure insomnia):

http://www.cis.org/articles/2005/kephart.html

http://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/178/

http://www.immigrationfraudvictims.us/GAOimmbenefits.pdf

http://www.immigrationfraudvictims.us/GAOI...nefitsFraud.pdf

John

K-3

AOS

Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.