TonyUK

Moving to USA question

11 posts in this topic

ok me and my wife sent off our visa app to the london office because its faster, we havnt heard anything but my mother in law phoned up last week from america and told us they want 2 things from me, proof of my uk residence so ill send my util bill and drivers license, BUT they also asked us to get a letter from home office stating i have permission to move and work abroad, i never heard of this letter before and i looked on HO website but nothing about this on there, any help please

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
ok me and my wife sent off our visa app to the london office because its faster, we havnt heard anything but my mother in law phoned up last week from america and told us they want 2 things from me, proof of my uk residence so ill send my util bill and drivers license, BUT they also asked us to get a letter from home office stating i have permission to move and work abroad, i never heard of this letter before and i looked on HO website but nothing about this on there, any help please

You'll want to read the DCF guide here. It sounds like perhaps you may not qualify to file directly with the Consulate. What they are requesting is evidence you are eligible to do so. If not, you're going to wish you had filed correctly instead of incorrectly.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You'll want to read the DCF guide here. It sounds like perhaps you may not qualify to file directly with the Consulate. What they are requesting is evidence you are eligible to do so. If not, you're going to wish you had filed correctly instead of incorrectly.

I dont think its a problem or anything i just wondered who i contact at the home office for this letter. i dont see why i need permission from the government to move

Timeline

I dont think its a problem or anything i just wondered who i contact at the home office for this letter. i dont see why i need permission from the government to move

Which of you is the US Citizen. If "you" are the UK Citizen, this could have to do with your work. Do you work for the government? Does the US Citizen have legal resident status in the UK?

Please try to avoid pronouns as much as possible or at least make it clear who is who.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Which of you is the US Citizen. If "you" are the UK Citizen, this could have to do with your work. Do you work for the government? Does the US Citizen have legal resident status in the UK?

Please try to avoid pronouns as much as possible or at least make it clear who is who.

Wife - U.S Citizen on a 2 year spouse visa in the UK.

Im the UK citizen and i only work in a supermarket, not for government or anything, my wifes visa expires Jul 2009, so we want to move to USA asap. They put on the forms they sent to mother in law that they voided my credit card and want cash (my mother in law is going to pay the cash) but she just needs these 2 forms. I dont see why they sent the stuff to america without telling us

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

this sounds all a bit odd.. . they want your MIL to pay cash?

I assume you used your MIL's address as the intended address once you move after visa is approved- but in the DCF process, normally nothing is sent to the US address until after you move. Frankly, from what little you write here, it makes me think someone is messing with you...

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

It doesn't sound right here, you did a direct consular filing because you are in UK, why would they send letters to a US address?

If I am you, I would call up the consulate where I filed the petition to find out what's going on. I would also want to have a copy of the "letter" in my hand when I talk to them.

Leah

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

Timeline
It doesn't sound right here, you did a direct consular filing because you are in UK, why would they send letters to a US address?

If I am you, I would call up the consulate where I filed the petition to find out what's going on. I would also want to have a copy of the "letter" in my hand when I talk to them.

Leah

Yes, get a faxed copy of the letter. None of this makes any sense, particularly anything to do with a credit card. Does the London Embassy accept credit cards for payment of fees? Somebody wants your MIL to send currency in the mail?

All sounds wrong to me.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

No she has to pay cash in person, i think it might be to do with my credit card being stolen last month, however the documents were sent to her as she is the one that is going to be signing an afadavit of support . I will phone up the embassy tomorrow when they open to ask. Im mainly curious why i need permission to move abroad, or where i obtain a letter

im sure they have there reasons for sending those 2 requests there. but MIL said she is happy to pay the $355 for my visa anyway. Her house is where we intend to stay

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
No she has to pay cash in person, i think it might be to do with my credit card being stolen last month, however the documents were sent to her as she is the one that is going to be signing an afadavit of support . I will phone up the embassy tomorrow when they open to ask. Im mainly curious why i need permission to move abroad, or where i obtain a letter

im sure they have there reasons for sending those 2 requests there. but MIL said she is happy to pay the $355 for my visa anyway. Her house is where we intend to stay

At what stage are you at your visa journey? If you can fill up the timeline, people can advise you accordingly.

You sound like you just submitted your I-130 and paid the $355 filing fee with a credit card.

Has the I-130 been approved? I believe affidavit of support only comes in the picture after you have an approved I-130.

Leah

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

Well phoned up the embassy, they said my wife needs indefinite leave to remain to file DCF, but she is on a spouse visa so i dont really understand it. I didnt think mother in laws were allowed to file for the spouse visa, but the embassy doesnt seem to be bothered about that. also phoned the home office and they asked me to write a letter and post it to UK Border Agency requesting the letter stating i am authorised to move and work in america. so ill see how i get on, thanks for everyones help

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.