5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok.. being in the process of AOS from being an overstay what is the process of getting a license with your EAD and Social Security #?

1) What you have to bring to get your license? Like can you take your EAD and Social Security Card only? Or do you have to take something else for ID proof? The passport is out of the question for us because he is an overstay adjusting... so the passport is expired, he's never had any kind of ID here in the US, and his birth certificate is foriegn so they wouldn't want it....We had to use his Shot record from school with his picture on it (US high school) when we applied for his social security card.... Maybe DL will take that too!

2) What did everyone else take?

3) He's 19, so does he have to haev a learner's permit for 6 months, or can he take the written test and the road test at the same time?

4) You have to take proof of car insurance correct? So how do you do that if you've never driven b4.... the truck my husband uses is his parents and they have insurance on it in their names.. is that sufficient. And how would he go about getting the truck changed over to our names for insurance purposes?

Thanks everyone! (=

Jesus holds the key to YOUR future! So why not put ALL your trust and faith in HIM?

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. (Psalm 27: 1, 3)

My husand Alan entered the US as a 12 year old *2001*

We met in high school *2002*

We started Dating *2005*

Engaged *July 2007*

We Married *Dec 10,2007*

We sent AOS *March 20, 2008*

AOS Received in Chicago *March 21, 2008*

Notica Date *March 26, 2008*

Checks cashed *March 28, 2008*

Received NOAs and case online *March 31, 2008*

Received Biometrics Appointment Notice in mail *April 1, 2008*

RFE for I-693 *April 9, 2008*

Biometrics Appointment *April 15, 2008*

RFE sent back *April 18, 2008*

RFE and case resumed *April 24, 2008*

EAD card production ordered *May 19, 2008*

EAD came in mail *May 29, 2008*

Applied for SSN "waiting for USCIS verification" *May 30, 2008*

Received Social Security Card *June 28, 2008*

AOS Interview in Atlanta *July 22, 2008*

I'm not quite sure about having a learners permit, but when I went to go get a state ID from the DMV before my AOS was approved, they required that I had some kind of proof of residency with my name on it. Such as a utility bill, US bank statement, etc. Also, my EAD and other form of US ID. I live in Georgia, so I don't know if it is different in other states. Check their website through for more info.

http://www.dmv.org/drivers-license.php

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What other from of US ID? Does it have to have a picture and what did you use? He has a SS#, EAD card, bank statement with his name, could we use his expired B2 visa? Or maybe Shot record with picture from the US?

I'm not quite sure about having a learners permit, but when I went to go get a state ID from the DMV before my AOS was approved, they required that I had some kind of proof of residency with my name on it. Such as a utility bill, US bank statement, etc. Also, my EAD and other form of US ID. I live in Georgia, so I don't know if it is different in other states. Check their website through for more info.

http://www.dmv.org/drivers-license.php

Jesus holds the key to YOUR future! So why not put ALL your trust and faith in HIM?

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. (Psalm 27: 1, 3)

My husand Alan entered the US as a 12 year old *2001*

We met in high school *2002*

We started Dating *2005*

Engaged *July 2007*

We Married *Dec 10,2007*

We sent AOS *March 20, 2008*

AOS Received in Chicago *March 21, 2008*

Notica Date *March 26, 2008*

Checks cashed *March 28, 2008*

Received NOAs and case online *March 31, 2008*

Received Biometrics Appointment Notice in mail *April 1, 2008*

RFE for I-693 *April 9, 2008*

Biometrics Appointment *April 15, 2008*

RFE sent back *April 18, 2008*

RFE and case resumed *April 24, 2008*

EAD card production ordered *May 19, 2008*

EAD came in mail *May 29, 2008*

Applied for SSN "waiting for USCIS verification" *May 30, 2008*

Received Social Security Card *June 28, 2008*

AOS Interview in Atlanta *July 22, 2008*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

You should probably check out the website for you DMV for other acceptable IDs or call them. Sometimes there is a lot of variation in what they will and will not accept.

For ID we used my hubby's K-1 visa, his passport, his birth certificate (the original copy includes an English translation and recent photo), his NOA for his AOS application.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Ok.. being in the process of AOS from being an overstay what is the process of getting a license with your EAD and Social Security #?

1) What you have to bring to get your license? Like can you take your EAD and Social Security Card only? Or do you have to take something else for ID proof? The passport is out of the question for us because he is an overstay adjusting... so the passport is expired, he's never had any kind of ID here in the US, and his birth certificate is foriegn so they wouldn't want it....We had to use his Shot record from school with his picture on it (US high school) when we applied for his social security card.... Maybe DL will take that too!

2) What did everyone else take?

3) He's 19, so does he have to haev a learner's permit for 6 months, or can he take the written test and the road test at the same time?

4) You have to take proof of car insurance correct? So how do you do that if you've never driven b4.... the truck my husband uses is his parents and they have insurance on it in their names.. is that sufficient. And how would he go about getting the truck changed over to our names for insurance purposes?

Thanks everyone! (=

My husband renewed his Mexican passport at the local consulate in seattle. You don't have to go back to Mexico for the renewal. Could he do that? That would give him an ID. Also, the mexican consulate can issue an ID for it's residents. I don't know how close you are to one, but I'd look on line and have your husband call.

Summer 2001--we met in Manzanillo, Mexico

10/02--129F submitted (We had 1 RFE)

7/03--Interview in Ciudad Juarez

2/15/04--Married

4/2/04--AOS submitted

8/23/04--Interview in Chula Vista, CA (approved pending name check)

5 EADs, 3 APs, multiple Senators' inquiries and infopass appts, 2 AOS biometrics,

and one move to Seattle later...

3/3/08--AOS Biometrics renewal in Seattle

6/9/08--10 year green card arrived in the mail. My husband is no longer in immigration limbo and is a realio, trulio permanent resident! It says he's been a resident since 04/17/2008.

1/17/11--Apply for Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.