pax

AOS Nightmare for a B-2 Adjuster

15 posts in this topic

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/14554011.htm

I must admit, 3 years is an awfully long time to wait.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Man, that sucks. But there's nothing to say that the same background check wouldn't have hit her whilst waiting for a K1 or K3, so I think the B2 part is nothing more than a statement of fact about how she got into the US in this case.

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Yes, that's true. I wonder why she didn't apply for AP, though, if she hadn't overstayed.

Edited by pax

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

--Neil Finn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Didn't know she could, perhaps? Was told by an incompetent lawyer not to try it?

Your guess is as good as mine ;)

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Man, that sucks. But there's nothing to say that the same background check wouldn't have hit her whilst waiting for a K1 or K3, so I think the B2 part is nothing more than a statement of fact about how she got into the US in this case.

I agree

There are many that find themselves in this situation and there is more and more filing a federal court lawsuit, Action for Writ of Mandamus, when they have been waiting ridiculously long times. Good to hear that this had a happy ending :thumbs:

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I think it is good that the Mother's Day town meeting will shift the focus to "legal" immigrants that are going through nightmare situations like this.

We have been waiting for our son's AOS petition to be decided also for three years and it is still "pending", awaiting an AAO certified decision because the District Office doesn't know how to adjudicate it. He cannot leave the country either, for fear of not being allowed back in, and has had the cloud of deportation hanging over his head for years now.

It isn't right that they take this long and put people through the stress of not knowing what direction their lives may take.

I really wish I lived nearer to Phili, I would be attending this meeting. I think those that post on this board, who live closer, should make every effort to attend in order to help those that are going through this kind of thing.

Edited by Girona40

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Currently a 2-3 year wiat for AOS in MANY DO's just for the interview, then if you're hit with the extra background checks, even longer. I was told not to expect an interview before 3 years.

AOS

August 30, 2005 - AOS, , AP applications mailed to Chicago Lockbox

September 9, 2005 - NOA's for AOS, AP, (dated Sept. 1)

November 28, 2005 - AOS biometrics - refused EAD biometrics at the same time

December 5, 2005 - AP approved

December 7, 2005 - Infopass appointment for interim EAD

December 12, 2005 - Received EAD card

December 13, 2005 - Received AP

June 14, 2005 - Case Status Inquiry/Tracer

June 19, 2005 - Letter sent to congressman

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 8, 2006

AOS approved - August 8th, 2006 - hooray - done with USCIS for now!

GREENCARD RECEIVED - August 18, 2006

The question has got to be asked: how long can a background check poissibly take? When you apply for a job, often they do a background check. It doesn't take years! Even for positions that require very thorough and careful checks, like teaching.

--Neil Finn

Timeline

That is ridiculous! Can't a Writ of Mandamus be filed, forcing the USCIS to make a decision on a case in a "reasonable" time frame?

I think that is what the people in the OP's article must have done - issued a Writ of Mandamus.

It is crazy that the USCIS can take this long. Of course, there are benefits to the USCIS for delaying appliations such as AOS. They make millions of dollars on EAD's and AP's that wouldn't normally be required. This stinks, in my book!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

The question has got to be asked: how long can a background check poissibly take? When you apply for a job, often they do a background check. It doesn't take years! Even for positions that require very thorough and careful checks, like teaching.

pax

Check the link in my signature on 'USCIS Alien Security Checks', one can see why.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Oh aye, I've seen that document before. I've also read articles about how shockingly out-of-date many of the FBI's background-checking resources are.

It doesn't answer the question, though, of why the system has been allowed to stagnate and backlog in such a manner when both "homeland security" and "family unity" are supposed to be top priorities.

It also begs the question of how complete a background check that only takes a couple of days can possibly be, if some checks take months or years to complete. Again, I'm thinking of the very thorough checks required for teachers, defense contractors, etc.

--Neil Finn

Timeline
Oh aye, I've seen that document before. I've also read articles about how shockingly out-of-date many of the FBI's background-checking resources are.

It doesn't answer the question, though, of why the system has been allowed to stagnate and backlog in such a manner when both "homeland security" and "family unity" are supposed to be top priorities.

It also begs the question of how complete a background check that only takes a couple of days can possibly be, if some checks take months or years to complete. Again, I'm thinking of the very thorough checks required for teachers, defense contractors, etc.

FBI Field Office phone numbers

Why don't you phone the FBI and pose the question "How long does a background check usually take for immigration purposes?" I am sure they will be happy to answer the question.

We had the USCIS telling us that an FBI Name Check wasn't yet completed (after waiting a year). When we phoned the FBI they told us that it had been completed 11 months prior and that it took seconds to complete! They called the USCIS caseworker and told them that they were sick of the USCIS blaming the FBI for hold-ups when it was not their fault! These checks are done electronically and the results are sent electronically, they don't take long at all. A full background check will take longer, but not years!

Yes, that's true. I wonder why she didn't apply for AP, though, if she hadn't overstayed.

Yes. get AP.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

Yes. get AP.

I can relate to why she didn't get AP. When you have been dealing with the USCIS for 3 years, nothing they do amazes you. They don't seem to follow any rules and are a total law unto themselves. It is scarey to apply for AP and leave the country. They know exactly when you are leaving, when you are out of the country and our greatest fear was that they would adjudicate (and deny) when we were out of the US and not allow us back in. It is a real risk when you are in this kind of situation. In fact, the District Director told us when we met with her, that it was wise not to leave the country for that very reason!

The situation this poor girl was in would have filled her with fear of what the USCIS were likely to do next. AP was probably not a viable option for her.

Point well-taken.

Edited by pax

--Neil Finn