CBR

MTL and POE review (port huron, MI)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As promised, here are some random pics we took while in Montreal. They are all taken from the horse/carriage ride we took from Notre Dame.

Picture138.jpg

Picture139.jpg

Picture143.jpg

Picture149.jpg

Picture151.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Here's our "french" meal (which was really an italian/french/? combo). Appetizers & entrees...

Picture177.jpg

Picture179-1.jpg

Picture181-1.jpg

Picture182-1.jpg

The interview itself went awesome. We got to the consulate at about 6:45am (yea, ouch..i know). A bunch of other people showed up by the time they opened the doors at 7:30 sharp. The nice family that got there after us, but the guards wanted to let in ahead of us insisted that we were there first (which we were lol) so we got the "A" card and were first in the door and pretty much first with everything including leaving.

We are forgetting the exact details, but it went pretty much as everybody else states. Went up to the windows a few times before the actual interview & gave various items like the appt. letter, copies of birth certs, copies of passports, $131 usd, fingerprints (jeremy's). Had to go back & repeat fingerprints because their machine/computer wasn't working right & hadn't saved them the first time. We had the lady with long curly blonde hair & she is incredibly nice. Then the good part...the interview. I went in all giddy & kinda laughing about nothing really. The guy was so nice. He made us feel at ease & got jeremy to relax a bit and laugh too. Jeremy had several POE/border denials from last summer when we were jerked around by uscis (told he could come over & just marry me & file aos...totally wrong), then told to bring certain documents to prove strong ties, but when we did they still said no. Well, he deleted them! He laughed about the pics of jer from then saying he looked kinda shellshocked. There were about 3 of them with paragraphs describing what the denial was all about. He said it was common and not a big deal. He asked about how we met (online) and said that most people he meets have met online. He asked how each others families felt about us. He asked about our age difference (11 years...me older ugh), but it didn't seem like a big deal to him. Asked about our jobs. The typical stuff. It actually was kind of fun.

POE at Port Huron went well too. We got a guy who had never done a k-1 before and saw him asking the others if they had done one, and nobody really had. He was struggling with it (we found out at the end) because of last year's denials. He couldn't get past some part of that (it alarms in their computer) even though the Montreal guy had deleted them. This guy had to delete some other part too and it wasn't working for him. After over an hour of sitting around watching him stare at his screen getting frustrated he got someone to help. This guy seemed to know what he was doing a little more. They DID stamp the I-94 "work authorized" (I'll have to post that in that other section) which was really interesting. We didn't even ask about it. And the guy was going to give us our packet. I said I think you're supposed to keep that and forward it to the USCIS or something for when we file AoS. He's like "nope that's yours to keep". Ummmmm, no I don't think so. The guy next to him nudges him and says "yea you're supposed to keep that". OMG!! I sure hope it gets to where it's supposed to go. He at least seemed interested in learning how to do the k-1 process so i'm sure he'll ask his supervisor or that other guy that was helping him. Sheesh!

We are home now, settling into regular life and it's just wonderful! We got home Tuesday and I have this whole week off to spend with him. Life is GOOD!! We are still pinching ourselves saying, "are we really here, together, finally?"

Next step, get SSN so he can work for a bit for our honeymoon! Getting married July 18th. Honeymoon to Disney is in Sept.

I hope this post isn't too long!!

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

congrats!!! glad he kept the package,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!

Montreal is much nicer minus the snow! =)

Our Timeline:

K-1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-08-07

Packet 3 Received : 2007-09-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-09-12

Interview Date : 2008-02-13 Montreal U.S. Consulate APPROVED!

Visa Received By Mail : 2008-02-20

Moved: 2008-03-01 The long drive from Canada to Florida!

Applied for SSN : 2008-03-12

Received SSN by mail: 2008-03-21

Wedding Date : 2008-05-03

67Or.jpg.png

AOS, EAD & AP

Sent in AOS, EAD & AP Applications : 2008-05-09

AOS, EAD & AP Applications received by UCIS: 2008-05-12

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1 : 2008-05-16, received in mail 2008-05-20

AOS, EAD NOA2 : 2008-05-21, received in mail 2008-05-27

AOS Case transferred to CA: 2008-06-03

AOS Case being processed: 2008-06-09

Biometrics Interview: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-12

AOS touched: 2008-06-19

AOS Card production ordered: 2008-07-11

AOS Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident: 2008-07-14

AOS touched: 2008-07-16

AOS touched: 2008-07-17

U.S Resident's Card recieved in mail!!!!: 2008-07-18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

great post -congratulations - and enjoy these days - they are like heaven!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Congrats CBR! I'm sure you are glad to be home and together. I have 10 days to go before I head home with my hubby-to-be. I can't believe its finally here - moving day is almost here. :dance:

Hope I have a good POE experience. I'm going to enter at Sault Ste Marie MI. I've called to ensure they do the K-1 Visa process.

Edited by BH45

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Timeline

Those pictures are great, thanks. Happy you are settling into the new life together.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Congrats CBR and mate!

Great review, and not too long.

Awesome photos...I love the Old Port.

I was at that checkpoint with my AP on Wednesday at noonish, maybe 1pm I forget (what with EST and CST)...and my guy needed help too.

Did he have a mustache?

The supervisor (?) helped him, he looked like a marine: tall, bald (shaven), and kinda handsome. I belive his name on his shirt was Brea (??), I forget.

Well, it took my dude about 40 minutes to get through it with help finally from the other guy.

So happy for you to start your next chapter/book.

:star:

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

Spirit that's too weird that we were there the same day around the same time. We probably just left as you were getting there if it was noonish. We were there from 10:30am- about 11:45 or so.

Our guy was definitely NOT a tall handsomeish marine type. He was on the shorter side, freckly and kinda Ron Howardish.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope, it wasn't too long at all! :D I am jealous. :) I went to Montreal in March and loved it. I wish I was there right now. My husband lives south of there. I am glad all went well and I hope your wedding goes well! Best wishes!!!

Edited by shiri

zachsmile2ym1.jpg

Married 3/15/07

USCIS:

NOA1: 5/23/2008

NOA2: 9/12/2008

NVC:

They received: 9/24/2008

Case Complete: 12/1/2008

Interview: 03/24/2009

Received approved visa (after RFE in interview): 04/21/2009

Timeline
Nope, it wasn't too long at all! :D I am jealous. :) I went to Montreal in March and loved it. I wish I was there right now. My husband lives south of there. I am glad all went well and I hope your wedding goes well! Best wishes!!!

Ok I'm a newb to this section but did I just read right that I can have a temp EAD stamp if I cross at Port Huron instead of having to fly in to JFK?

• March 25, 2008 Sent off I-129f
  • March 27, 2008 I-129f arrived at Vermont Center
  • March 28, 2008 Received and date of NOA1
  • April 3, 2008 Received NOA1 in mail-9 days since mailed off I-129f
  • April 18, 2008 Touched!
  • June 26, 2008 NOA2!!!- (email) 93 days since mailed off I-129F
  • July 2, 2008 NOA2 in mail
  • July 9, 2008 NVC received packet
  • July 14, 2008 Montreal receives packet.
  • July 21, 2008 Roger received Packet 3
  • August 1, 2008 Roger mailed off Packet 3 to Montreal
  • August 6, 2008 Packet 3 received in the morning at Montreal Consulate
  • August 11, 2008 Medical in Toronto
  • September 18, 2008 Received Packet 4 Interview letter
  • October 14, 2008 K1 Visa Interview Date
  • November 18, 2008 Crossed Port Huron border YAY
  • December 27, 2009 Married!
  • February 3, 2009 Mailed off AOS
  • February 9, 2009 AOS Checked cashed!
  • March 4, 2009 Biometrics Completed!
  • March 30, 2009 AP Approved
  • April 2, 2009 EAD Approved and card printing ordered
  • Received Permanent Resident card but no passport stamp.

Congrats and welcome to your new home. Now to the next part in your journey.

BTW: love the pics and as someone else said, it does look a lot better in MTL with no snow lol.

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Timeline

congrats on your POE!! take a nice break and enjoy your new home and then get ready for the AOS fun!!

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Timeline

Ok I'm a newb to this section but did I just read right that I can have a temp EAD stamp if I cross at Port Huron instead of having to fly in to JFK?

Apparently they do give the EAD stamp at Port Huron. It is a long way around, though, if you are moving just south of Montreal. Just to let you know, a Canadian does not get the EAD stamp even if they do fly into JFK. In Canada, flights ending at JFK go through immigrations in Canada at the airport before they leave, not at JFK - and immigration at the airports don't give the stamp. It is only international flights originating from outside of North America (don't know about Mexico) that go through immigration at JFK.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.