NevadaJoe

CR1 Divorce in Future - Help Needed

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
NevadaJoe,

Have a consultation with that "Immigration Family Law Attorney" you mentioned a few posts back, although I'm a bit confused as to what an Immigration Family Law Attorney is, since they are two areas of the law quite different from each other. I doubt there are many who do both and are good at it.

Yodrak

I totally agree with Yodrak on this one NJ. I also retained an Immigration Family Law atty. when going through your same situation with my immigrant ex-wife.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

NevadaJoe:

Sorry to hear about your situation. My prayers are with you.

It may be that it looks hopeless now, but your situation my be easily correctable. It really may be that you guys need to learn about each other "now" since you didn't spend enough time doing it "before". It may be that the adjustment was a bit much for her, and she doesn't cope with (drastic) change very well. Or it may be that she's a visa scammer, but either way you owe it to yourself to find out what's really going on before you just throw in the towel.

Unfortunately, living with your mother probably isn't doing "wonders" for your marriage either... even if your wife was expecting it, it just isn't the ideal scenario for bonding between husband and wife.

Check out www.MarriageBuilders.com, and look at the section on "Most Important Emotional Needs". After you check it out, then print out the Emotional Needs Questionnaire and go over it with your wife.

This way, you will find out INSTANTANEOUSLY what it will take for you to please her (if anything), and she will know what she needs to do to please you.

This simple exercise should reveal whether or not your wife is really in love with you or not.

If you think you and/or your wife may have been in love with each other at SOME point, then your marriage is likely salvageable. Check out the "Counseling" link at the same website. Don't be shocked, it is expensive ($185/hr.), but I GUARANTEE you that your divorce, and subsequently supporting a woman who is no longer your wife, or that you are separated from is FAR MORE EXPENSIVE.

The ironic thing about divorce is that you actually end up paying for TWO divorce attorneys... so if your attorney is $150/hr. (which is cheap) and hers is $150/hr., now you're up to $300/hr...

A friend of mine who is divorcing an AW had to pay for his attorney ($300/hr.), his wife's attorney, and a psychiatrist for his wife, and a psychiatrist for his children while his divorce was going on... can you say OUCH!

USCIS (CR-1)

06/30/2006 Mailed I-130 USPS Overnight Mail to Nebraska (NSC)

07/03/2006 Express Mail signed for at NSC

07/08/2006 Found out on VJ that my case is transferred to California (CSC)

07/21/2006 NOA1

11/02/2006 NOA2

NVC

11/13/2006 NVC Case # Assigned

11/20/2006 DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill generated

11/21/2006 Emailed Choice of Agent (from wife/non-USC) in lieu of DS-3032

11/21/2006 Sent AOS Fee Bill Payment via USPS Overnight Mail

11/30/2006 NVC Processed AOS Fee Bill Payment (still no record of receiving Choice of Agent Email)

12/04/2006 Sent DS-3032 Choice of Agent USPS Overnight

12/11/2006 Received I-864 Affidavit of Support (AOS) in mail

12/11/2006 Sent I-864 AOS to NVC via USPS Overnight

12/11/2006 Immigrant Visa (IV) Fee Bill Generated

12/18/2006 Received IV Fee Bill in the mail

12/18/2006 Sent IV Fee Bill payment to NVC via USPS Overnight

01/03/2007 Sent DS-230 USPS Overnight

01/08/2007 NVC processed DS-230

01/12/2007 Received DS-230 (Part 1) and the list of "Documents You Need to Obtain" for Embassy Interview in mail

02/06/2007 Case Complete @ NVC

02/13/2007 Case sent to Embassy

Embassy

03/15/2007 Received Interview Instructions (aka Packet 4)

04/03/2007 Lab Tests

04/04/2007 Medical Exam

04/10/2007 Interview (Conditional Approval)

04/12/2007 Visa Approved!

04/18/2007 Visa in Hand, Gracias a Dios !!!

04/19/2007 Arrival in USA !!! (POE = Atlanta)

05/29/2007 Received Green Card in mail

www.MarriageBuilders.com

Filed: Timeline
NevadaJoe:

Sorry to hear about your situation. My prayers are with you.

It may be that it looks hopeless now, but your situation my be easily correctable. It really may be that you guys need to learn about each other "now" since you didn't spend enough time doing it "before". It may be that the adjustment was a bit much for her, and she doesn't cope with (drastic) change very well. Or it may be that she's a visa scammer, but either way you owe it to yourself to find out what's really going on before you just throw in the towel.

Unfortunately, living with your mother probably isn't doing "wonders" for your marriage either... even if your wife was expecting it, it just isn't the ideal scenario for bonding between husband and wife.

Check out www.MarriageBuilders.com, and look at the section on "Most Important Emotional Needs". After you check it out, then print out the Emotional Needs Questionnaire and go over it with your wife.

This way, you will find out INSTANTANEOUSLY what it will take for you to please her (if anything), and she will know what she needs to do to please you.

This simple exercise should reveal whether or not your wife is really in love with you or not.

If you think you and/or your wife may have been in love with each other at SOME point, then your marriage is likely salvageable. Check out the "Counseling" link at the same website. Don't be shocked, it is expensive ($185/hr.), but I GUARANTEE you that your divorce, and subsequently supporting a woman who is no longer your wife, or that you are separated from is FAR MORE EXPENSIVE.

The ironic thing about divorce is that you actually end up paying for TWO divorce attorneys... so if your attorney is $150/hr. (which is cheap) and hers is $150/hr., now you're up to $300/hr...

A friend of mine who is divorcing an AW had to pay for his attorney ($300/hr.), his wife's attorney, and a psychiatrist for his wife, and a psychiatrist for his children while his divorce was going on... can you say OUCH!

Ya, maybe after all that touchy, feely stuff we can get naked together, hold hands, and sing "Kum Ba Ya". It's a little difficult for counseling since she is currently in Europe visiting, hopefully it will be a permenant visit.....I agree that living at home is difficult - you are right and I must be fair and admit that, and I do. I wish I can afford living on my own......I am in awe that you value money (divorce attorney prices) over sanity.....I mean is $5 or 10K worth more to you than the next 20-30 years of stress and going totally bonkers? WOW I'd rather live in a shack and have peace of mind than in a house that I dread coming home to.....but that is just me.

p.s. are you still looking for a wife? take mine :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Does she have money for a return ticket ????

No, but she could probably scrap up enough......oh she does not have her green card with her or welcome letter - all that is here at home. Another interesting thing - she left the country using her Bosnia passport but her Visa stamp is in her Croatia passport. If and when she trys to re-enter I am asuming she will use the Croatia passport since it has the U.S. Visa stamp but when they run it through the reader - will it show that she has not left the U.S.? she might have some explaning to do why she was using a different passport....I don't know....she is very clever but she makes mistakes.....any comments folks?

It does not matter about the passport--since you do not clear immigration as you leave the USA.

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.